Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive seen plenty of folks shot who didn't even notice. Im sure you have too.

You gonna risk having your headstone read "Stabbed to death by a suicidal transvestite." ?
View Quote
did you see the video?

Two things working against your scenario.

1.  The guy wasn't running.  He was just walking trying to get them to shoot.

2.  It was an unopened multi-tool.  Nobody was getting stabbed.  They knew it was a knife because of the call in.  

They spent a minute yelling at the idiot from about 5 yards away and then finally shot him when they ran out of options.

Ordinarily I am right there with you.  But from what I saw on the video this was a different set of circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

did you see the video?

Two things working against your scenario.

1.  The guy wasn't running.  He was just walking trying to get them to shoot.

2.  It was an unopened multi-tool.  Nobody was getting stabbed.  They knew it was a knife because of the call in.  

They spent a minute yelling at the idiot from about 5 yards away and then finally shot him when they ran out of options.

Ordinarily I am right there with you.  But from what I saw on the video this was a different set of circumstances.
View Quote
Correct
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another angle of the chase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgKuwtFQNwg
View Quote
damn, that cop was bleeding pretty bad from the head
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was listening no the news this morning.  According to the news he had a multitool with the blade closed.  No idea if that's accurate.
View Quote
He also had told 911 he had a gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Except I think it is a her. Foxnews article says "Scott", but mentions a "Scout" with a womans picture. Cute I might add. Sad. 

ETA: Fuck me if that is a guy. I am off to the corner. Forever. 
View Quote
That was most definitely a "he". His retarded father even referred to him as his "son" during their media blitz yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Correct
View Quote
I simply proposed an alternative option that still allowed the officers to remain safe but didn't require the death of the student.

that's all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that enough for PID?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did he?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did he?
View Quote
obviously not.  and, since the cops were yelling "drop the knife" and not "drop the gun" one must assume the police didn't think he had a gun in his hand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

obviously not.  and, since the cops were yelling "drop the knife" and not "drop the gun" one must assume the police didn't think he had a gun in his hand.
View Quote
So is it accurate that the police shot a nutty guy with a closed leatherman?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is that enough for PID?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that enough for PID?
Well, he also described himself to a T, since he was calling in himself. Dude wanted to die. He was obliged. His tuition paid them after all, so 5 star customer service I guess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gets shot in leg, it sets him off, runs the short 5 yards while opening multi-tool, cop is startled by leg shot not working doesn't get off anymore shots, cop is stabbed to death.

If you are gonna shoot, you better shoot right.

If you were arguing some form of less lethal sure, but if you are shooting someone you are killing them, you cannot level of force shooting people without it getting insane real quick.
View Quote
More than one cop.

Takes me 30 seconds to open a gerber up and get the knife out.  but I am not used to transitioning the way that guy was.  

Yes, if the cop was easily started and incompetent, that opens up all kinds of scenarios.

but listening to the audio, such as it is, both seemed well in control of the situation.  They just ran out of amazingly limited options.  They apparently had two.

1.  Yelling.
2.  COM.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They tore down Techwood Homes for the Olympics, that got rid of one of the worst areas next to campus.  I think GSU actually has it worse, GT main campus is fairly well-defined (the section over by Technology Square on the other side of the interstate, not so well), GSU mixes in more with non-school buildings.  
View Quote
Ahhh, Techwood Homes. Now it's a party!

Well, it was a party....

That was a good place to get raped and deaded. And sometimes not in that order.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#17]
For those saying there are other means - If I was dealing with a guy with a knife and he ignored commands I would shoot as well. If its going to be you or me - it will be you. I am willing to bet you would feel the same way.

Tranny got what he/she wanted end of story - I would not put my life in danger to see if it was anything different. For that reason I would never expect another to either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The other cop was incompetent enough to take himself out fight angle wise if ole Scout charged, so...........
View Quote
absolutely agreed.  I mentioned that in the other thread.  I had no idea what his plan was.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For those saying there are other means - If I was dealing with a guy with a knife and he ignored commands I would shoot as well. If its going to be you or me - it will be you. I am willing to bet you would feel the same way.

Tranny got what he/she wanted end of story - I would not put my life in danger to see if it was anything different. For that reason I would never expect another to either.
View Quote
But the knife wasn't open.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could have been.  Like I said earlier, from 8 seconds to when the shot was fired, the threat remained roughly the same but they didn't shoot.  They ran out of ideas.  as AFT Ranger would say, "problem solved, problem staying solved"
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
How far was the guy away to know? Pretty sure I could hold a blade to where you can't tell if its open or not.

Again - Had a weapon  do they know if its a sping loaded blade? I know I am playing what ifs here but thats the point - what you dont know you dont know and again I wouldn't be taking the risk. Let me pull a gun and you risk if its loaded or not - I know its different but concept is the same

ETA: You threaten lethal force, or I feel afraid for my life - boom thats all thats needed. I have no duty to determine how serious you are, what your mental stability is, method, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#22]
G.T.P.D. needs some training on having fire extinguishers and a fire retardent blanket handy? Seriously didn't look like the vehicle needed to burn.

I'd assume a road flare was tossed in it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How far was the guy away to know? Pretty sure I could hold a blade to where you can't tell if its open or not.

Again - Had a weapon  do they know if its a sping loaded blade? I know I am playing what ifs here but thats the point - what you dont know you dont know and again I wouldn't be taking the risk. Let me pull a gun and you risk if its loaded or not - I know its different but concept is the same
View Quote
I can tell the difference between an unopened leatherman and a knife from a good distance away.

I think your gun comparison is a bit of a reach.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I can tell the difference between an unopened leatherman and a knife from a good distance away.

I think your gun comparison is a bit of a reach.
View Quote
As I said different scope - similar concept.

My leatherman blade is apprx. 1/16" thick, you have some hawk eyes if I turn the horizontal and directly facing you. Hope you put that to work day to day.

Again not saying there weren't potential other option but I am not going to expect anyone to take anything - you confront me or someone I know with deadly force its going to be you period. I can't expect any more from anyone else.

Roles reversed If I threatened you with deadly force and you acted I wouldn't blame you. Life isn't a fucking TV show or a video game - dont threaten life if you aren't ready to give yours for that cause its no ones duty to mentally evaluate your will/drive
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
2.  It was an unopened multi-tool.  Nobody was getting stabbed.
View Quote
How to open a Leatherman like a butterfly knife
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As I said different scope - similar concept.

My leatherman blade is apprx. 1/16" thick, you have some hawk eyes if I turn the horizontal and directly facing you. Hope you put that to work day to day.

Again not saying there weren't potential other option but I am not going to expect anyone to take anything - you confront me or someone I know with deadly force its going to be you period. I can't expect any more from anyone else.

Roles reversed If I threatened you with deadly force and you acted I wouldn't blame you. Life isn't a fucking TV show or a video game - dont threaten life if you aren't ready to give yours for that cause its no ones duty to mentally evaluate your will/drive
View Quote
Going off the information I heard on the news he was telling the police officers to shoot him.   Not threatening the officers, is that inaccurate?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wonder when the university system will finally decide to move tech out of the ghetto...

One wrong turn off campus and you're in da hood big time. Not surprised at the riots.
View Quote
Like Yale, Drexel, CCNY (I assume) and numerous other good schools.

All surrounded by third world shitholes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#28]
The whole closed knife bit is still rumor though, isn't it?

Not that it matters TBH.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I simply proposed an alternative option that still allowed the officers to remain safe but didn't require the death of the student.
that's all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct
that's all.
Meh, no great loss.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep.

Who has been in more gunfights than most folks.

But, I admit fully, I have never taken on a suicidal transvestite with a closed leatherman.

I am not sure I could have handled that level of threat.
View Quote
A 4 D cell mag lite would have tuned Scout right up. I prefer knocking the living shit out of them to shooting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dude. There are well known members here making that argument.
View Quote
Some with military experience.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Some with military experience.
View Quote
Different game, different rules, different players.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
So shoot the rioters too.

Soon people will learn not to do stupid shit, like come at the cops with a knife or throw bricks at them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yep.

Who has been in more gunfights than most folks.

But, I admit fully, I have never taken on a suicidal transvestite with a closed leatherman.

I am not sure I could have handled that level of threat.
View Quote
How many "gunfights" have you been involved in as a civilian cop? Not fucking one I'll wager.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The fruitloop wrote 3 suicide notes. Sad, but rioters are just dumbasses.
View Quote
Though I'm sure they're dumbasses, this riot isn't a result of being a dumbass. They were just looking for an excuse to be assholes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#36]
This made me laugh out loud:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glad I'm not closer, I'd be tempted to go do some anti-rioting. These shit heads are just looking for an excuse to be violent shit heads.
View Quote
meh, I'm not too far up 85, but this ain't the hill I wanna die on
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Meh, no great loss.
View Quote
that's why I love you so much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

How many "gunfights" have you been involved in as a civilian cop? Not fucking one I'll wager.
View Quote
Probably as many as most cops on here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
More than one cop.

Takes me 30 seconds to open a gerber up and get the knife out.  but I am not used to transitioning the way that guy was.  

Yes, if the cop was easily started and incompetent, that opens up all kinds of scenarios.

but listening to the audio, such as it is, both seemed well in control of the situation.  They just ran out of amazingly limited options.  They apparently had two.

1.  Yelling.
2.  COM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gets shot in leg, it sets him off, runs the short 5 yards while opening multi-tool, cop is startled by leg shot not working doesn't get off anymore shots, cop is stabbed to death.

If you are gonna shoot, you better shoot right.

If you were arguing some form of less lethal sure, but if you are shooting someone you are killing them, you cannot level of force shooting people without it getting insane real quick.
More than one cop.

1.  Yelling.
2.  COM.
The multitool was partially open with one "leg" extended, so in the light it appeared to be a knife blade.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

that's all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, it was a party....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore down Techwood Homes for the Olympics, that got rid of one of the worst areas next to campus.  I think GSU actually has it worse, GT main campus is fairly well-defined (the section over by Technology Square on the other side of the interstate, not so well), GSU mixes in more with non-school buildings.  

Well, it was a party....

Yep, lived in Techweed my freshman year, heard lots of gunshots, and there were a number of pockmarks on the sides of the building facing the projects.  Also had several encounters with the denizens trying to accost us, particularly when coming and going outside the fenced in area.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The multitool was partially open with one "leg" extended, so in the light it appeared to be a knife blade.
View Quote
Yeah.  saw that.  One thing is for sure.  Guy wanted to die.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
G.T.P.D. needs some training on having fire extinguishers and a fire retardent blanket handy? Seriously didn't look like the vehicle needed to burn.

I'd assume a road flare was tossed in it.
View Quote
Per an APD officer who responded, there were six GTPD officers on duty, two were injured seriously enough to be taken to the emergency room, two others received minor injuries.  There were 150-200 protesters who overwhelmed the GTPD officers until backup could arrive from APD and GSU PD.  The APD officer was in the first group to respond and take control of the area, they were joined by an additional 50 officers from various agencies (mostly APD and GSUPD).  An ANTIFA protester managed to stuff a flare in the air intake of the GTPD vehicle while the initial group of APD officers was trying to break up the crowd in front of the GTPD station.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#45]
1.  When a suspect approaches an officer with an object in his hand saying 'Shoot me" after repeated commands to stop that he evidently understood, I dont think the officer is culpable in the shooting.

2.  It's weird that a US campus PD in this day and age does not have issue Tasers.

3. Gender dysphoria is a symptom of mental illness. I dont understand how people encourage the symptom and are later shocked at the results.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Maybe APD can just let GA Tech fend for itself. It's in a pretty rough neighborhood.

At least, when I lived there it was. Things may well have changed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
1.  When a suspect approaches an officer with an object in his hand saying 'Shoot me" after repeated commands to stop that he evidently understood, I dont think the officer is culpable in the shooting.

2.  It's weird that a US campus PD in this day and age does not have issue Tasers.

3. Gender dysphoria is a symptom of mental illness. I dont understand how people encourage the symptom and are later shocked at the results.
View Quote
I am going to have a party when Bradley Manning finally suck starts his kel-tec .32
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If they act that way with a totally justified incident, imagine what they'd do if it was a bad shot.
View Quote
Do you think these fucks really know the difference?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did a 9 month tour in Techwood dorms in the mid 80s.

That’s right. I’ve got the thousand yard stare.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Probably as many as most cops on here.
View Quote
That's a rather "squishy" answer.

How about a definitive one? (like a number)
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top