User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In all seriousness...

it gets a little tin foil hat-y, but it has been rumored that the state DNR's purposely brought in coyote to control the deer populations.

The DNR didn't realize that coyotes were such an opportunist and would rather pick off quail which roost on the ground.

Well...that's one theory anyway.

Then there are the turkey....

of course, big farmers buying out smaller farms didn't help either...and pulling up the fences and farming from one ditch to the next ditch took away a lot of their cover.
View Quote
My bet would be on the bigger farms with less fence lines and trees and brush.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep OP is a cool mofo with a cool job!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Just wondering OP, do you collect the doe pee at your ranch?

I've always wondered where they get the pee for the cans of scent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I think all of the haters are funny. It's like the hardcore bow hunters. Somebody does things differently, so obviously they're they devil.

These deer aren't pets. They aren't kept in a 10'x10' pen until they're going to be shot. This is a ranch that is most likely at least a thousand acres. Sure, you'd have a better chance seeing a monster buck on this place but it's still a hunt. You don't just walk out the door of your luxury cabin and shoot a 200+" buck. The guides have to know the property and the patterns of the deer.

Is it like hunting public land? Absolutely not. It's still hunting and still supports the sport. The people ranting about it are the same types of people that say their old '06 is ok, but those AK15's should be banned.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

fudding is serious business

i'll repeat, 2nd has nothing to do with hunting

cracks me up the first thing a fudd does is question your manhood because you don't fudd
View Quote
I've never hunted a high fence ranch, and yeah if you're at a place with a 2 acre pasture and they turn a buck out for you to shoot that's pretty lame but I don't care if that's what you do.

I have done guided hunts and fishing trips all over the country and into Mexico and South America though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge operating a business where there's a profit. More power to the OP on that front. I just think it's ridiculous that 99.9% of these trophy's will be proudly displayed on the walls of buffoon's that will act as though they are master hunters. They will be able to carry on a great cocktail party conversations with all the people that had guides drag them to the top of Everest.
View Quote
Are you really going to say that having a guide take you up Everest makes your climb less noteworthy?

Are you going to say the guided hunts and fishing trips I've been on make me not a hunter or angler?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah i would still call this a canned hunt in that taking a trophy deer there vs "fair Chase" is a big difference.  Nothing immoral about it though.  Business is business and 150acres is plenty of land to get lost in.

If I had the money id definitely give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you really going to say that having a guide take you up Everest makes your climb less noteworthy?

Are you going to say the guided hunts and fishing trips I've been on make me not a hunter or angler?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge operating a business where there's a profit. More power to the OP on that front. I just think it's ridiculous that 99.9% of these trophy's will be proudly displayed on the walls of buffoon's that will act as though they are master hunters. They will be able to carry on a great cocktail party conversations with all the people that had guides drag them to the top of Everest.

Less noteworthy?  Oh my God yes!  Having a guide is a HUGE advantage.

I look at stuff like this more as decor than a trophy.  Just my opinion though and its still awesome to see.  Its just different is all.

Yes fair Chase game shows more knowledge and dedication.  Sometimes by choice.  Often by financial necessity
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Glad to see everyone in TX isnt retarded.
View Quote
From someone in ISR calling Texans retards? Isn't Y'alls idea of hunting you and the Palestinians throwing rocks at each other? Nice place man - stay there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Can you send me one of those nice large pair of antlers?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
From someone in ISR calling Texans retards? Isn't Y'alls idea of hunting you and the Palestinians throwing rocks at each other? Nice place man - stay there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to see everyone in TX isnt retarded.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok ,ok - you win, I'm there. Where's a good place to stay?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
never underestimate the determination of a fudd

hunting big game in the east is done, it's a joke now, i get a kick out of watching the local fudds get frustrated because there's nothing to kill

canned hunts are the future, there's profit to be made evident by this thread

this bears repeating the 2nd has nothing to do with hunting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF? Not only do you Texans bait deer with corn now you raise them in a pen until they're big enough to shoot? And people pay those ridiculous prices?
never underestimate the determination of a fudd

hunting big game in the east is done, it's a joke now, i get a kick out of watching the local fudds get frustrated because there's nothing to kill

canned hunts are the future, there's profit to be made evident by this thread

this bears repeating the 2nd has nothing to do with hunting
Nothing to kill?  Shit, I think the limit in Georgia is now up to two bucks and ten does, without even touching WMA quota hunt numbers.  The real problem is suburban sprawl, can't hunt in the suburbs, so the deer overpopoulate and become roadkill, when they don't starve.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]
ITT we see people demonstrate ignorance.

And if you think those prices are high, look at the King Ranch website.

@Pirkle Arfcom discount for aoudad?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

cracks me up the first thing a fudd does is question your manhood because you don't fudd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How big does a fenced area have to be not be a canned hunt for you naysayers?

Is stocking a pond with bass canned fishing?

Bunch of slack jawed faggots up in here.

Why this misconception still lives on a gun forum is a source of frustration.

Quit throwing hunting arms under the bus.

The 2nd Amendment applies to keeping and bearing any arms, including hunting arms.

Read a Constitution book some time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the King is still low fence.

Low fence giants can draw a premium price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think the King is still low fence.  NO FENCE

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the King is still low fence.  NO FENCE

FIFY, I will take this ANY day over the deer in the OP.. Pulled off my trail cam, public land no fences hopefully he is around in about 2-1/2 weeks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have to blunt bucking bulls horns to size of a half dollar to conform to PBR rules they bleed like all hell.  

Do deer bleed profusely when you cut the antlers?
View Quote
I'm a horticulturist by training so please take this answer with a grain of salt.

Horns grow continuously and are "hollow."  That means that the corn of a horn is living tissue.  Horns continuously grow and are composed of material very much like our hair.

Antlers, once they have grown for the season have solid interiors with no living tissues.  Antlers are grown and shed annually.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice looking deer but not my cup of tea.  If I paying thousands of dollars I would rather go with a guide and hunt one of the wildernesses
out west.  That said, I'm not bothered by people who do this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that those who a bitching about this method of hunting, choose to not state their location.

I would be interested to hear from some of these folks where they are from and what their life experiences are related to the outdoors.
View Quote
hunting is dead in the east, all that's left are canned hunts or a derivative of it
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
hunting is dead in the east, all that's left are canned hunts or a derivative of it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find it interesting that those who a bitching about this method of hunting, choose to not state their location.

I would be interested to hear from some of these folks where they are from and what their life experiences are related to the outdoors.
???  I thought places like GA and PA were swimming in deer?

No public land to hunt or what?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no problem finding places to hunt in GA and could find places to hunt in other states. Much like many things in life, they have no idea what they're talking about and don't have the gumption to educate themselves.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The haters are ignorant as hell around here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

wma or
View Quote
I'm unaware of any canned hunts around here. Everyone I know goes to either a WMA or private land that they either own or is owned by someone they know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Not sure what you mean by that, at all.

I can hunt deer, bear, coyote, the occasional elk, and others all on our private land, without seeing another person or doing anything that you would call "canned" in any way.  How is that what you are describing?

Just to be clear- private land, not a club, not fenced, not managed, couple hundred acres in the mountains on the Virginia / West Virginia line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you calling me an asshole because I don't agree with you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas did fine until "assholes" invaded.
Are you calling me an asshole because I don't agree with you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The 2nd Amendment applies to keeping and bearing any arms, including hunting arms.

View Quote

"shall not be infringed" main and first purpose is to ensure the citizenry is equally armed as it's government

a proceeding benefit of "shall not be infringed" is the ability to have access to firearms for every other usage, beyond the above main intent

to suggest ones right to fudd with a firearm is the same or equal as ones right to arm against foes foreign or domestic is ludicrous

a fudd is no friend to liberty
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Pirkle threads are always cool.

Nice pics man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pirkle threads are always cool.

Nice pics man.
View Quote
Good man.

This thread got hijerked by some penises.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
notice i said a derivative of a canned hunt

i.e. the massive tracks of commercially farmed land that abnormally support herd populations

this literally is the only way the local fudds make kills, they are invited to come cull the herds, but make no mistake this is canned fudding

raised shooting positions and lines every few hundred yards

it's a joke but hey whatever floats your boat it is a free country
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by that, at all.

I can hunt deer, bear, coyote, the occasional elk, and others all on our private land, without seeing another person or doing anything that you would call "canned" in any way.  How is that what you are describing?

Just to be clear- private land, not a club, not fenced, not managed, couple hundred acres in the mountains on the Virginia / West Virginia line.
View Quote
large game hunting was pretty much tapped out in VA in the 90's

what you are describing is an exception not the rule

i live in the Southern Appalachians, no one fudds here because it's a waste of time, they all go to canned fudding land in SC

OP no disrespect you are conducting a legitimate business which is in demand, nothing wrong with it

but you are a purveyor of fiction
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think all of the haters are funny. It's like the hardcore bow hunters. Somebody does things differently, so obviously they're they devil.

These deer aren't pets. They aren't kept in a 10'x10' pen until they're going to be shot. This is a ranch that is most likely at least a thousand acres. Sure, you'd have a better chance seeing a monster buck on this place but it's still a hunt. You don't just walk out the door of your luxury cabin and shoot a 200+" buck. The guides have to know the property and the patterns of the deer.

Is it like hunting public land? Absolutely not. It's still hunting and still supports the sport. The people ranting about it are the same types of people that say their old '06 is ok, but those AK15's should be banned.
View Quote
Agreed.  Hunters should support each other's hunting even if it's not what you think is as sporting as how you do it.

If you use a gun, that's not hunting.

If you use a compound bow, that's not hunting...

If you use dogs, that's not hunting.

If you drive the deer, that's not hunting.

If you sit in a stand, that's not hunting.

For the love of Saint Hubertus, get over it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i.e. the massive tracks of commercially farmed land that abnormally support herd populations

this literally is the only way the local fudds make kills, they are invited to come cull the herds, but make no mistake this is canned fudding

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. If agriculture killed hunting, it's been dead for hundreds of years. I hunt 600 acres of planted pines and hardwood bottoms. I guess it's a canned hunt though because there are planted pines. I also hunt my own 65 acres, but I guess that's canned too because there are agricultural fields all over the area and I supplement their food with foodplots, corn, protein pellets, and minerals.

Do you realize how ignorant you sound? I'm sorry you're too lazy to get out and look for a place to hunt, but that's on you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The King is still low fence, they are across the highway from me. We get calls all the time from hunters wanting to come hunt here because they are not seeing any deer there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

"shall not be infringed" main and first purpose is to ensure the citizenry is equally armed as it's government

a proceeding benefit of "shall not be infringed" is the ability to have access to firearms for every other usage, beyond the above main intent

to suggest ones right to fudd with a firearm is the same or equal as ones right to arm against foes foreign or domestic is ludicrous

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys who are willing to water down the 2nd Amendment for their agenda are short sighted.

The Heller decision was clear that hunting arms are no less protected.

Read a Constitution book and learn what "shall not be infringed" means before you advocate for restrictions on a Right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#37]
So crybabies here are comparing "public hunting lands" of a couple hundred acres to "private hunting land" that's most likely thousands of acres?? And the private land is the canned hunt??

Yeah I know out west the tracts are much bigger. But it seems like the loudest are from out east.

The stupidity of GD knows no bounds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Agreed.  Hunters should support each other's hunting even if it's not what you think is as sporting as how you do it.

View Quote
In all of those scenarios you're at least killing a wild animal.  Breeding things in pens for "hunting" is different, more like a pheasant or quail farm.  Breeding things in pens to bring out unnatural characteristics is something else entirely.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
In all of those scenarios you're at least killing a wild animal.  Breeding things in pens for "hunting" is different, more like a pheasant or quail farm.  Breeding things in pens to bring out unnatural characteristics is something else entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don't patronize the business.

It's that simple, unless your ass somehow got hurt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
the right of the people is the right of the people. As soon as you try to carve it off, it becomes the right of some people.

just stop. you are not a friend to the 2nd with that crap.

Fudds are equally protected under the second. The militia is a subordinate clause.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every example you just gave is about the manner of take. Or the tools and methods applied to getting your deer. The weapons, the style of hunting.

That's a completely different conversation than the conversation about what your hunting.

Are you hunting free range wild animals? Or are you hunting deer that were bred and born in captivity? Deer that were handled by humans multiple times?  Deer that had their antlers cut off so they wouldn't injure eachother when they are in confined spaces during transportation.

In that case we are talking about the difference between hunting and harvesting livestock. What the OP is describing is harvesting livestock. These are not wild animals. They may look like they're wild, they may behave much like wild animals, but they are livestock. They are in fact legally livestock in most if not all states where this takes place.

And the manner in which they are harvested is not hunting. They are penned animals. The pen may be very large and they animal may not encounter the fence often. But they are penned animals. and the hunter may dress in camo, and he may have to pursue the animal to some extent. He may have to find it and pattern it in order to get a shot, but its not the same as pursuing a truly free range wild animal.

It has as much in common with walking out to a pasture and shooting a steer as it does with hunting.

And again, I have no problem with it. If you enjoy it then more power to you. Just don't call it real hunting. It's not.

I've never hunted deer that way. Have no desire to. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd take no pride in the result. It just doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand,I have done canned bird hunts.  A pheasant tower shoot. It was a lot of fun. It wasn't a hunt though.  So I don't have some moral objection to canned hunts. Knock your socks off. I'm just trying to illustrate that there IS a difference.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How big of a ranch is the place you work?

I help out year around on a ~9000 acre cattle ranch, in east Texas, with game management. No hunting or pen raising/breeding/selling, the owner just likes to see monster bucks when he visits. (Largest to come off the place was 256")

I am loling at people bitching about picking a deer to shoot. We might see a particular buck and not see it in person or on camera again for 2-3 years
View Quote
Yep, I personally know several guys out West that have Ranches. People calling these canned hunts have never been on a ranch that is 8,000+ acres, when its that big of a ranch, it becomes no different than hunting out on public lands.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How big of a ranch is the place you work?

I help out year around on a ~9000 acre cattle ranch, in east Texas, with game management. No hunting or pen raising/breeding/selling, the owner just likes to see monster bucks when he visits. (Largest to come off the place was 256")

I am loling at people bitching about picking a deer to shoot. We might see a particular buck and not see it in person or on camera again for 2-3 years
View Quote
2680 acres total.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#45]
very cool
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm more impressed that you got a deer into a squeeze chute.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then don't patronize the business.

It's that simple, unless your ass somehow got hurt.
View Quote
So you're insinuating that if my ass was somehow hurt I'd be forced to patronize the business?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

$3,000-$10,000 for a damn farm deer in a high fence shoot LOL a fool and their money.
View Quote
Some people don't have the time to invest in a hunting lease and have high paying jobs that is most of our clientele.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno what he's talking about either,  here in PA hunting is alive and well.  Even in the city of philadelphia, there are so many deer in the parks they are a significant road hazard.  

I love what OP does.   They are breeding rare animals for profit which supports the animal population. Free market in action.  Someday they may be the only place on earth that has some of those animals, because the goat fuckers have no concept of preservation.   Deer may not be rare but they supplement the wild population.

OP just curious, are deer assholes or just garden variety ornery to work around?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Every example you just gave is about the manner of take. Or the tools and methods applied to getting your deer. The weapons, the style of hunting.

That's a completely different conversation than the conversation about what your hunting.

Are you hunting free range wild animals? Or are you hunting deer that were bred and born in captivity? Deer that were handled by humans multiple times?  Deer that had their antlers cut off so they wouldn't injure eachother when they are in confined spaces during transportation.

In that case we are talking about the difference between hunting and harvesting livestock. What the OP is describing is harvesting livestock. These are not wild animals. They may look like they're wild, they may behave much like wild animals, but they are livestock. They are in fact legally livestock in most if not all states where this takes place.

And the manner in which they are harvested is not hunting. They are penned animals. The pen may be very large and they animal may not encounter the fence often. But they are penned animals. and the hunter may dress in camo, and he may have to pursue the animal to some extent. He may have to find it and pattern it in order to get a shot, but its not the same as pursuing a truly free range wild animal.

It has as much in common with walking out to a pasture and shooting a steer as it does with hunting.

And again, I have no problem with it. If you enjoy it then more power to you. Just don't call it real hunting. It's not.

I've never hunted deer that way. Have no desire to. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I'd take no pride in the result. It just doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand,I have done canned bird hunts.  A pheasant tower shoot. It was a lot of fun. It wasn't a hunt though.  So I don't have some moral objection to canned hunts. Knock your socks off. I'm just trying to illustrate that there IS a difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top