Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not support open container laws.

I don't support the majority of laws on our books for that matter.  We could cut the legal code by 90% and get along not just fine, but better than we are now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A LEO would sure stay busy in farm country here in OK if they checked all these guys coming from the field after a long, hard day.
There is a routine around here that you can see every morning.   Real early the farmers and hired hands will be buying diesel, hitting the farm supply store and making a swing by the quick stop for bagged ice, soft drinks and beer, then they head out for the day.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A LEO would sure stay busy in farm country here in OK if they checked all these guys coming from the field after a long, hard day.
There is a routine around here that you can see every morning.   Real early the farmers and hired hands will be buying diesel, hitting the farm supply store and making a swing by the quick stop for bagged ice, soft drinks and beer, then they head out for the day.
View Quote
In OK, if they're buying beer "real early," all they're getting is 3.2% beer.  Liquor stores that sell the real stuff aren't open until 9.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a wonderful feeling walking down the street in Las Vegas with a fifth of Bulleit Bourbon. It felt like freedom. 

Now that I'm in NC, I have to pay more for a fifth of it at the state run liquor store than a handle costs at Costco in Phoenix. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No. It's not about public safety it's about teetotalers objecting to all alcohol consumption. I also bet that the advocacy groups like MADD have to keep the donations flowing somehow.

Drunk driving --> "drinking and driving" --> no "open containers" --> breathalyzers installed on all new vehicles

And of course in many states anything that's accessible to the driver qualifies as an open container, so any alcohol has to be locked in the trunk or something. I'm not even sure if I'm technically breaking the law by putting the beer in my truck's cab along with the groceries after shopping, but the advice is to put it in the bed and not risk it. It's a ridiculous situation.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No. It's not about public safety it's about teetotalers objecting to all alcohol consumption. I also bet that the advocacy groups like MADD have to keep the donations flowing somehow.

Drunk driving --> "drinking and driving" --> no "open containers" --> breathalyzers installed on all new vehicles

And of course in many states anything that's accessible to the driver qualifies as an open container, so any alcohol has to be locked in the trunk or something. I'm not even sure if I'm technically breaking the law by putting the beer in my truck's cab along with the groceries after shopping, but the advice is to put it in the bed and not risk it. It's a ridiculous situation.
View Quote
Well, duh.   That's why I throw all my empties in the bed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Specifically, laws that prohibit you from, say, drinking a beer in the parking lot of a grocery store or something. I was thinking about it earlier, as I was drinking a beer, and had to walk down the street (about six houses) to tell my kids to come home from their friend's house and do homework and such. I thought about taking my beer with me, but figured there was a small risk a cop might drive past and bother me about it. It seems pretty stupid that I have to worry about such a thing.
View Quote

your post say walk down the street.

ow does that relate to having an open container in a car?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It's good they exist, because for every reasonable person like the OP...you're going to get 10+ that are going to walk around in public $h1t faced and stumbling around...talking about how "it's legal to have an open container"...so they aren't doing anything wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe read my post again. I wasn't talking about open containers in a car. I was talking about laws that forbid alcohol consumption in public areas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I got a ticket on Ft. Benning for having beer missing from a 12 pack, but no actual open beers.  The case of beer is the "container" in Georgia apparently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stupid laws, and not enforced if you are polite and not sloppy, at least in my experience.
View Quote
That varies by location.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:32:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I got a ticket on Ft. Benning for having beer missing from a 12 pack, but no actual open beers.  The case of beer is the "container" in Georgia apparently.
View Quote
Yeah...you don't mess around on a military base.  The MP/SP/SF minions will find any excuse to jack you up.  They get off on it.  ex. We can a Capt on our crew who had a minor discrepancy on his controlled area badge (when compared to his then green military ID card).  

The turd working the checkpoint not only pulled him off the bus, he put him face down on the flight line. I'm sure he went back to the barracks after his shift LOL'ing about how he got to put an officer face down on the concrete.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Open container laws are written to empower cops with authority over the town drunk.  

The balance has to be struck between controlling the alcoholic/drunks and a peaceable party (outdoor BBQ in neighborhood).
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Alcohol laws in the US are insane.  In Europe 15 yo kids can buy beer and OMG the sky doesnt fall.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#15]
People are bad drunk people are even worse
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seriously. Fucking terrifying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. Freedom is scary.
Seriously. Fucking terrifying.
This post needs a trigger warning.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe read my post again. I wasn't talking about open containers in a car. I was talking about laws that forbid alcohol consumption in public areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i guess i assumed you meant in a car (due to "sit in a parking lot and have a beer"), because ive never heard  of a law against open container outside of a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No surprise you are making excuses for the .gov telling people how to live their lives due to the actions of a few idiots.
View Quote
Laws aren't created in a vacuum. A  problem is identified, and then it becomes the responsibility of our elected leaders to craft a response to try to solve the problem, usually at the behest of the citizens that elected those representatives.
Often the representatives will want to study a problem to death, even if they have a solution they'd prefer to try. Sometimes to see if there might be alternatives, sometimes to validate the course of action they've decided to take.

In our case, the local student bars in the downtown bars were clustered around a particular part of the city core that saw a lot of pedestrian traffic. A secondary area of concern was the bars outside of the student ghettos around the university. There was a recurring problem with some drunks wanting to lurch out of the bars and create problems for the general public.
The general public has an expectation that they can go about their business unmolested by a drunk standing there with his drink in hand; a reasonable expectation.
The law in question nipped the problems that were occurring, with no undue burden on anyone who could behave themselves.If you want to drink, stay in the bar. No one was preventing a homeowner from drinking on his own property.

Someone else suggested that there might be other options for officers to address the issue. Sure, the person being harassed could sign a statement. But that would entail them showing up in court potentially, or create an undue burden on them.
With a local law violation, the officer needs no complainant.
He sees the violation and is the complainant who would be appearing in court.

It doesn't surprise me that there are some here who think that uncouth drunks should be allowed to totter around the streets with their drinks in hand, harassing the general public that just wants to be left alone as they walk down the street
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:07:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#21]
No I do not and have received a citation for the violation thereof. I'm like some kind of modern-day Henry David Thoreau.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No surprise you are making excuses for the .gov telling people how to live their lives due to the actions of a few idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The world would not have fucking ended if cops were denied this one minor "tool in their toolbox."
Like I said, the local version of the law was passed because of obnoxious drunks who couldn't behave, just had to stagger out of the bar and harass passersby on the street. It's worked just fine to fix that problem.
that is how it always is ?   a few screw it up for everyone else.
Look at the security they have at airports now, just a few guys decided to fly an airplane into a building.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That varies by location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stupid laws, and not enforced if you are polite and not sloppy, at least in my experience.
That varies by location.
Exactly. You cannot and should not count on a law not being enforced against you, even if the overwhelming portion of the population would agree that it's profoundly stupid.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Laws aren't created in a vacuum. A  problem is identified, and then it becomes the responsibility of our elected leaders to craft a response to try to solve the problem, usually at the behest of the citizens that elected those representatives.
Often the representatives will want to study a problem to death, even if they have a solution they'd prefer to try. Sometimes to see if there might be alternatives, sometimes to validate the course of action they've decided to take.

In our case, the local student bars in the downtown bars were clustered around a particular part of the city core that saw a lot of pedestrian traffic. A secondary area of concern was the bars outside of the student ghettos around the university. There was a recurring problem with some drunks wanting to lurch out of the bars and create problems for the general public.
The general public has an expectation that they can go about their business unmolested by a drunk standing there with his drink in hand; a reasonable expectation.
The law in question nipped the problems that were occurring, with no undue burden on anyone who could behave themselves.If you want to drink, stay in the bar. No one was preventing a homeowner from drinking on his own property.

Someone else suggested that there might be other options for officers to address the issue. Sure, the person being harassed could sign a statement. But that would entail them showing up in court potentially, or create an undue burden on them.
With a local law violation, the officer needs no complainant.
He sees the violation and is the complainant who would be appearing in court.

It doesn't surprise me that there are some here who think that uncouth drunks should be allowed to totter around the streets with their drinks in hand, harassing the general public that just wants to be left alone as they walk down the street
View Quote
I think you are seriously overstating the frequency with which this occurred in the bad old days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think you are seriously overstating the frequency with which this occurred in the bad old days.
View Quote
Were you in my town back in the 70s and 80? Then how would you know.
It was an area with a high concentration of student and townie bars, in the pedestrian-heavy center of town around a three block pedestrian mall.
It was not an uncommon occurrence by any means.

I recall that on a busy weekend in warm weather the crowds would spill out of the bar, many with drinks in hand, and block the sidewalks.
That's back when the drinking age was 18, and you'd see a different clientele at many of the old bars than what you see today in the surviving bars.

It was a different era in general. Many of the bars sponsored softball teams ( non-drinking example I know, just thought of something I haven't seen in a while ).
Many of the downtown bars were more of a blue collar and student tilt than what's there now.
A couple of blocks of that part of town have lost a lot of those old bars , and the ones  left  are more yuppified bars, and they have little dining areas on the sidewalk cordoned off with ropes and stanchions where their customers can sit and eat and drink and talk. The Collegetown bars inevitably changed as well as the drinking age crept up from 18 to 21 in the 80s.

But yeah, it was a different era.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I have issues with the current law. I could have a drink and be done with it.

The law is for those who are boozehounds
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#27]
When I did valet roughly 100% of the folks that dropped off their cars with open booze in the vehicle were drunk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Back when I was a park ranger we called it the mandatory litter law.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
The earth's crust is full of aluminum.   What's the problem?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem was hitting glass bottles with a mower where little kids play.

Who the hell buys cheap beer in bottles?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#31]
PSA: you can fit 2 full beers in the large yeti cups
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The problem was hitting glass bottles with a mower where little kids play.

Who the hell buys cheap beer in bottles?
View Quote
40s almost all come in plastic nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Are they physically harming anyone while they do it?   Then NO there shouldn't be a law against.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In OK, if they're buying beer "real early," all they're getting is 3.2% beer.  Liquor stores that sell the real stuff aren't open until 9.
View Quote
You're right but that's all changing soon, we passed some common sense laws.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]
i don't support any laws that don't break someones arm or pick their pocket
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#37]
If you don't have those rules it gets out of hand.   Why would you want to legalize losers drinking on the street corner?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Anything that reduces drinking and driving is OK with me.  Prohibiting someone from drinking while they are just walking down the street seems like a bit much, as long as they aren't a danger to themselves, or anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:07:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you don't have those rules it gets out of hand.   Why would you want to legalize losers concealing guns on the street corner?
View Quote
Lol

Look how scary freedom is when you change 1 word
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Beer sucks arse. Don't give a flip. You got to drink that swamp piss, drink it in the privacy of your home and nobody is bothered when you get drunk and act .......
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you don't have those rules it gets out of hand.   Why would you want to legalize losers concealing guns on the street corner?
Lol

"....legalize losers concealing guns on the street corner"
You're absolutely correct:

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a proper Arfcom GD resident. The only law I support is the Law of the Jungle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

are you admitting that not everyone should have the same rights guaranteed by the constitution?
View Quote
The Founders didn't think so.....so, yea, there is that kinda.....Awkward.....
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#45]
No. Open container laws encourage littering. Nothing wrong with a road soda if you're sober.

I can't even technically take empty bottles to the recycler.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't drink but I didnt know you couldn't walk and drink beer.

Solution, buy rootbeer and your beer. Give rootbeer to kids, pour out your beer into rootbeer can and go for a walk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Heh.  No open container laws here.  (Well, OK, you can't have an open glass container between Esplanade and Canal, from North Rampart to the river, but everything else is fine, and glass is legal outside of the Quarter.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Because alcohol causes biological initation of force (I.E. You do destructive crap when drunk)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can drink anything else in public,  why not beer?

Also,  having been a late swing shift worker at one time,  I too wonder why beer at 4am cannot be had.
Because alcohol causes biological initation of force (I.E. You do destructive crap when drunk)
Nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol

"....legalize losers concealing guns on the street corner"
You're absolutely correct:

https://panampost.com/wp-content/uploads/MS-13-LA.jpg
http://miseeharris.com/wp-content/uploads/gang-members-long-island-new-york-high-school-MS-13.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ea/68/94/ea6894ddc61695e88f226a27e1b0972e--gang-members-blood.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNF_WKiw5Qz03zAj-RxHrL-RLiouYhgcrTMwyBXpnN2AMvi6bW
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1cdjsTylb7A/hqdefault.jpg
Those pictures must all be from movies or other fictitious sources, right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lol

View Quote
Society and our laws are a balance of everyone's freedoms to some degree. If you want to do anything you want to do without having to consider how those actions impact others, buy up an island and be a hermit
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top