Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CJ would be the right answer, not mine but a quality restoration. I'm looking for a CJ 3B like below.

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/91710/91710_Front_3-4_Web.JPG
View Quote
That's what my flatty was. CJ3b and was one of the 54OB early models. I think number 32. Had it while I was in college, sold it off to a guy on the east coast. Still kinda miss it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Poll fail
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll believe it when I see it.

They have been teasing a diesel option for 20 years and have yet to release anything more than prototypes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a CJ7, but I voted JK. However, the 2018+ JL will be King Jeep, especially with the diesel option. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324728/jeep-310812.JPG
I'll believe it when I see it.

They have been teasing a diesel option for 20 years and have yet to release anything more than prototypes.
Hopefully they do it better than the other diesel Jeeps.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fake jeep doesn't even offer lockers as an option

The best jeep with stock options is... hands down a JK
View Quote
I have a rear locker, stock.  I could add a front ARB.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well golly gee. I guess you're ready for the big boy trails then.
View Quote
LOL...and we paid less and got more...LOL
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on the rig you posted it appears you paid more and got less.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
To build for something purpose built? Give me an XJ all day long.

Straight off the showroom floor, that'd be the JK.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd agree, I think while all of the past few Jeeps have been incredibly solid, the TJ/LJ was the pinnacle of offroadability without becoming too soft. The JK, while still an awesome rig has started the descent down the opposite side of the hill. If I left my top off on the TJ in a rainstorm I'd be like eh, I'm just gonna have a wet ass on the ride home. In a JK, I'd probably start worrying about electrical gremlins.

Love my CJ, but they're well known for their problems. YJs have square headlights and thus are wrong. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TJ....because coil springs, 4.0L engine, can still find good examples not completely ate up with rust, Tons of aftermarket support.
I'd agree, I think while all of the past few Jeeps have been incredibly solid, the TJ/LJ was the pinnacle of offroadability without becoming too soft. The JK, while still an awesome rig has started the descent down the opposite side of the hill. If I left my top off on the TJ in a rainstorm I'd be like eh, I'm just gonna have a wet ass on the ride home. In a JK, I'd probably start worrying about electrical gremlins.

Love my CJ, but they're well known for their problems. YJs have square headlights and thus are wrong. 
When the wife had her 07 JK it was caught a couple times in a downpour that ended up with water filling the tub up to the sills.

We pulled the carpet and the drain plugs and just let it dry out over the next few days.  Nothing like ejecting a CD and having water run out.  

I was worried, but we never had any electrical problems. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
JKs are for two types of people:
1) MILFs

B) Guys who want to appear adventuresome without having to be adventurous.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#10]
ZJ baby.  

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not exactly sure how you measure that, but ok. By how much and based on what? I'm genuinely interested to know.

Edit to add.

36K base trail teams

3 inch lift
Baja rack 
hella lights
nitto terra grapplers
radio and antenna

trailer is a bantam t3-c built in 1945. Serial #295. I took it to the bare metal and back up with a tongue extension and electrical mods. The tent is a tepui kukenam.

The FJ as it stands has less than 2.5K in mods. The trailer is worth about 4,500.00 if i got out what I put in. 

Oh, and I have some sand mats...haven't used em yet. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I get you.  This can be like an oil thread!  

But I can mess with a TON of cheap junk yard leaf packs and move my perches accordingly.  For example, the cheap 1/2 ton Chevy mod to the rear and moving your stock rears up front on Toyota pickups.  And incredibly tough and almost, almost, bullet proof.

1st video that came up and he has no lockers and no trans doubler.  Not that impressive, really.  More tinkering and he's got a nice machine for pennies on the dollar compared to linked rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75PvOA5cBOM
View Quote
^^^

This guy gets it. Dollar for dollar modified, older Toyotas are king. Off the show-room floor, I would probably take a 94 Land Cruiser with factory lockers and damn near bullet-proof transmission and engine. Too many poser JK's around here, along with the over landing modern Toyotas.  

My piece of shit, leaf-sprung, no-fucks-given, scrap-metal-built, Toyota.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not exactly sure how you measure that, but ok. By how much and based on what? I'm genuinely interested to know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You first! How did you measure it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I own a CJ5 and have owned a CJ7, I voted CJ8.

While JK Rubicons are nicely equipped and extremely capable, they have become soccer mom vehicles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Come at me bro!"

"No you come at me, bro!"
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I edited my post. Go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I own a CJ5 and have owned a CJ7, I voted CJ8.

While JK Rubicons are nicely equipped and extremely capable, they have become soccer mom vehicles.
View Quote
Had a CJ5 and two TJs, always wanted a CJ8. Theres a sweet one being driven in Milton, see it at The Union all the time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ZJ baby.  

View Quote
This guy and the XJ guys get it. 

Also FSJ aren't an option either, this is is just all kinds of fail
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I edited my post. Go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my post. Go.
Costs are rough estimates...but close enough.

Base 2006 LJR (44k miles): $18k
Bumpers: $600
Sliders: $300
Winch: $300
Tire carrier: $300
3" lift: $1200
Fox shocks w/remote resi: $800
Tummy tuck/full skids: $800?
UCF flat fenders: $225
15" Wheels/35" MTs: $1500
Bartact seat covers: $600
New top: $350
CB: $150
Novak t-case shifter: $150
PS diff covers: $200
New motor/labor: $4000

Ability to go where your FJ can't: Priceless

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never seen the first post nail it as hard as this.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've never seen the first post nail it as hard as this.
View Quote
Lol. You're FJ Cruiser cannot dream of going the places even a stock TJ Wrangler will go. No way, no how. Unless you count "over landing" on fire roads off-roading.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol. You're FJ Cruiser cannot dream of going the places even a stock TJ Wrangler will go. No way, no how. Unless you count "over landing" on fire roads off-roading.
View Quote
Doesn't matter, FJs are not Jeeps. Its really just sad that they are posting here in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I voted TJ because I own one and never plan to part with it.  I'm guessing though that the JKs are probably better in some way.   I do kinda like the freedom tops.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
JKs are for two types of people:
1) MILFs

B) Guys who want to appear adventuresome without having to be adventurous.
View Quote
This. JK's are marketed for those with vaginas, or those who're "gender confused".

I own a '67 CJ5 with the good old Dauntless V6. It does better than 45 because it has a Warn overdrive. It'll do 80, but will cruise happily at 65 all day long. It will go in the rough stuff pretty well, but I must admit, my wife's TJ is much easier to do the same things. I don't abuse either one, but the TJ is much more comfortable doing it. The CJ is cooler while doing it, but cool points hurt at the end of the day, like sore arms from manual steering, sore butt and back from horrible seats, kidneys feeling every rock you went over all day long...
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Costs are rough estimates...but close enough.

Base 2006 LJR (44k miles): $18k
Bumpers: $600
Sliders: $300
Winch: $300
Tire carrier: $300
3" lift: $1200
Fox shocks w/remote resi: $800
Tummy tuck/full skids: $800?
UCF flat fenders: $225
15" Wheels/35" MTs: $1500
Bartact seat covers: $600
New top: $350
CB: $150
Novak t-case shifter: $150
PS diff covers: $200
New motor/labor: $4000

Ability to go where your FJ can't: Priceless

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/111557/IMG_0106-311000.JPG
View Quote
It doesn't count if you bought it used. That's an automatic win. Sweat equity is always more valuable. 

I'll tell the wife she should be disappoint. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey, bring a cooler of beer, 4 people, their stuff, gas, tents, air, tools etc. Yeah, we can't climb a rock, but the party is over here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll be there while your Jeep is spending quality time in the shop.

10+ years of FJ ownership and has yet to spend a night in a shop, btw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It doesn't count if you bought it used. That's an automatic win. Sweat equity is always more valuable. 

I'll tell the wife she should be disappoint. 
View Quote
Forgot my $1200 regear to 4.88s.

No one said it had to be new.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Poll fail, the correct answer is:

XJ
View Quote
I have owned and still own most generations of Jeeps, including the M35A2 in my front yard . I daily an XJ, I love that thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Forgot my $1200 regear to 4.88s.

No one said it had to be new.
View Quote
I will say that you do have a nice jeep there.  It's probably seen more trails than all of them in my town combined.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I have owned CJ5, CJ7.  The JK/JKU is the most capable jeep so far.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Aside from the purists, its well accepted the JK is the most capable thus far. I liked my TJ because it was a tad smaller but that point is mute now that I have a JKU.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
TJs because it has the coil suspension yet retains the shorter wheelbase.  Best balance on and off road, as well as I love the 4.0L.  Low end toque is great.

I love the CJs, close second.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Our daughter's TJ had a really bad ride, the suspension was way too stiff.  It felt like it would tear your internal organs loose.  That said, I loved to drive it.

My point of view though comes from motorcycles, Honda XL's and Yamaha XT's, they have lots of suspension travel and good dampening.   To me that's they way offroad should be.

The JK 4 door Jeeps are sooo fine looking.  It hurts to not have one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When the wife had her 07 JK it was caught a couple times in a downpour that ended up with water filling the tub up to the sills.

We pulled the carpet and the drain plugs and just let it dry out over the next few days.  Nothing like ejecting a CD and having water run out.  

I was worried, but we never had any electrical problems. 
View Quote
That's good to know! It'd still freak me out a bit, but as long as they use good connectors I'm sure it's probably fine in most cases.

Waiting for the JT Scrambler to arrive in 2019, and that will become my new DD. Maybe my CJ7 will be slightly more complete than just a bare frame by then. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:54:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
TJ....because coil springs, 4.0L engine, can still find good examples not completely ate up with rust, Tons of aftermarket support.
View Quote
Yep, 4.0, NV3550. Proper sounding I6 motor, no minivan JK V6. Easy to work on, still was simple but had EFI for easy cold starts.

The older Jeeps (CJ and earlier) have character but suck for a DD, the TJ's really brought forth a modern Jeep that was capable and reasonably comfortable/reliable/etc.

And good luck with the new 2018 diesel even if it actually materializes, slogging around up in the mountains at 5 mph in regen and monitoring the DEF tank should be a good time. Hopefully it will have a 4BT, with a delete and tune it'd be tits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:05:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yep, 4.0, NV3550. Proper sounding I6 motor, no minivan JK V6. Easy to work on, still was simple but had EFI for easy cold starts.

The older Jeeps (CJ and earlier) have character but suck for a DD, the TJ's really brought forth a modern Jeep that was capable and reasonably comfortable/reliable/etc.

And good luck with the new 2018 diesel even if it actually materializes, slogging around up in the mountains at 5 mph in regen and monitoring the DEF tank should be a good time. Hopefully it will have a 4BT, with a delete and tune it'd be tits.
View Quote
It'll be a fiat diesel for sure, maybe the same 3.0 that's in the ram. I doubt we'll see the cummins 2.8 though, which I think would be ideal in a 2-door wrangler.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#38]
These share my driveway. Voted JK.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It'll be a fiat diesel for sure, maybe the same 3.0 that's in the ram. I doubt we'll see the cummins 2.8 though, which I think would be id9eal in a 2-door wrangler.
View Quote
The info is in dealer systems already. It'll be the 3.0 Ecodiesel with engine start stop.

Edit to fix due to VM being owned by fiat. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's good to know! It'd still freak me out a bit, but as long as they use good connectors I'm sure it's probably fine in most cases.

Waiting for the JT Scrambler to arrive in 2019, and that will become my new DD. Maybe my CJ7 will be slightly more complete than just a bare frame by then. 
View Quote
JT looks ok I guess. I've given up on getting a true modern Scrambler. How hard is it to make a 2-door JK Unlimited?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It'll be a fiat diesel for sure, maybe the same 3.0 that's in the ram. I doubt we'll see the cummins 2.8 though, which I think would be ideal in a 2-door wrangler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured it'd be a VM. But we can dream, right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#42]
BEAST JEEP is BEST JEEP

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#43]
70s JTrucks are better. 80s don't have the "brow." 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds like what a mall crawler would say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My TJ was a POS.  No mechanical problems, just small, too much cheap plastic.  Rough ride, etc.  The new JKs are so much better they are not even in the same category.  CJs are cool, but basically antiques at this point.  And leaf springs.  No experience with the others.
Sounds like what a mall crawler would say.
We don't have a mall.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Rough ride?  Let me guess.  You had big oversize 12.50 width tires?  Maybe a lift with excessively stiff damping to counter body roll?
View Quote
No my TJ was stock.  No comparison to a stock JK, or my JKU w/ 12.5 width tires.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
These share my driveway. Voted JK.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2117/IMG_7617-311230.JPG
View Quote
@Boomer

What lift and tire size is that on the jk?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I've had 6 Jeeps and will always have one.  85 CJ, 3 TJs (best was 04 Rubicon) and two JKs (JKR and JKUR).  Currently have a JKUR.  I had the most fun with the 04 TJR and would buy that one over the JKs if I didn't already have one.  The TJ just feels like a Jeep.  It's better in every way to me and my uses.  The CJ was a lot of fun but wasn't as capable and was a much higher maintenance vehicle.  The JKs are excellent vehicles but are also prone to mechanical issues and the build quality is much less than the TJ.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#48]
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk: The World's Most Powerful SUV
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#49]
This.
We bought my wife a 2016 JKUR 4 door the damn thing is extremely capable bone stock. Of course she has given me a list of mods she wants to make it even more so.

Hers is more than the typical mall crawler it actually gets used.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#50]
WW II Willys Jeep.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top