Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2017 7:03:17 PM EDT
Is this normal? It's from PNC, they say they want a cashiers check. I feel like I am getting a run around.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#1]
GO to different dealer, buy new car then drive to the one who wouldn't take it and show them your new car.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Their business, their rules.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
This is where you say out loud "Well Bye .jpg"
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this normal? It's from PNC, they say they want a cashiers check. I feel like I am getting a run around.
View Quote
Tell them if they want a sale, take the check, otherwise...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
They don't want the sale for whatever reason. Go to another dealer .
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Fact that dealer will not accept that check is BS.  I used PNC ready check on my last car purchase . . . dealers see them all the time.

Like others have said, easy solution, go to another dealer that wants to sell you a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their business, their rules.
View Quote
Yes, the OP is implying there should be some sort of government regulation forcing them to accept his method of payment
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Racists, obviously.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
They wanted to fuck you in the finance office.
You revealed you had your own deal worked out before they were to the point of blue balls to compete the deal.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Define "check ready loan."
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone that thinks a dealer doesn't want business is a moron.

Many businesses have policies like this.  A promise to loan you money doesn't mean shit, until it's money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.pnc.com/en/personal-banking/borrowing/auto-loans/check-ready-auto-loan.html
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Not familiar with the term.

ETA:  if it's something easily "checked out" by the dealer with the bank to make sure it's a legit form of payment, the dealer is just being a dick.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone that thinks a dealer doesn't want business is a moron.

Many businesses have policies like this.  A promise to loan you money doesn't mean shit, until it's money.
View Quote
Then they can do a spot-delivery like they probably already do dozens of times per month
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes, the OP is implying there should be some sort of government regulation forcing them to accept his method of payment
View Quote
You may have inferred from OP's post that he seeks some sort of government regulation, but it certainly was not implied in his post.  Then again, it may have been sarcasm.  

OP thinks he is getting the run around, and he probably is because the dealership makes money if OP uses its financing . . . dealer makes no money on financing when customer arranges his own.

No demand for anything in OP's post, simply a question.  Again, option for everyone in this situation is to go to dealer that wants to sell him/her a car without the BS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally normal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You may have inferred from OP's post that he seeks some sort of government regulation, but it certainly was not implied in his post.

OP thinks he is getting the run around, and he probably is because the dealership makes money if OP uses its financing . . . dealer makes no money on financing when customer arranges his own.

No demand for anything in OP's post, simply a question.  Again, option for everyone in this situation is to go to dealer that wants to sell him/her a car without the BS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may have inferred from OP's post that he seeks some sort of government regulation, but it certainly was not implied in his post.

No, I'm with you.  My dripping sarcasm was directed squarely at the person I was quoting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, I'm with you.  My dripping sarcasm was directed squarely at the person I was quoting.
View Quote
"Their business, their rules" = If you don't like what they're telling you, spend your money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Did they offer to hold the car until the check clears?

Is there a phone number the dealer can call?  Do you have a trade in?  What does your loan to value look like on the car?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up on that . . . edited original quote with intent to clear that up! But you were too quick on the quote/comment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You revealed you had your own deal worked out before they were to the point of blue balls to compete the deal.

Kharn
View Quote
That's a bingo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Then they can do a spot-delivery like they probably already do dozens of times per month
View Quote
Easy there feller, adults are trying to talk.  A dealer doesn't know what kind of stipulations the third party lender has.  Oh sure, you have a promise to fund.  That's great until the customer joyriding in your inventory (if delivered under this premise) Wont email proof of income/residence etc.  Under those circumstances, the lien holder will not fund until the purchaser complies.

Would you ship a fucking rifle to some stranger with an IOU?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"Their business, their rules" = If you don't like what they're telling you, spend your money elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except it's not some mysterious rule that the car dealership has prohibiting the use of a service offered by a national bank.  They let people leave without financing in place all the time, as I said, via spot deliveries.  In fact, the dealer where I just bought a truck was more than happy to let me take it home this way with a verbal approval from my credit union and a signed paper that said if I can't get financing I have to give the truck back.  The OP is asking, rightly so, if the scumbag dealer is acting like a scumbag dealer and trying to corn-hole him and his wallet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
This!  Most dealerships make more money out of selling the loan than the actual car itself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Totally normal.
View Quote
Care to elaborate?

I agreed to purchase the truck, but I'm coming back with their check on Monday or having them deal with PNC directly. They ain't getting my financing after how big of assholes they have been.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Care to elaborate?

I agreed to purchase the truck, but I'm coming back with their check on Monday or having them deal with PNC directly. They ain't getting my financing after how big of assholes they have been.
View Quote
How big of a fight was it to get them to tell you how much it was going to cost, all said and done, after all fees and everything?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Weird... I just wrote a check for my last car.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Many dealers do that. Those checks come with a checklist the dealer has to submit to the lender,  then wait to get the approval then the funds transferred. We accept them, but the car has to sit until the funds are approved. Some people figet those instant approvals and dealers have had issues letting the customer take the car and funds are denied then the dealer has to try to get the car back all because the customer lied to get the approval. I have seen it happen more than once in my 17 years in the car business. They should accept the check but won't let you take the car until they have the money in their account

ETA. Those loan approvals are not guaranteed. It isn't like a certified check from your bank or a bank. Some dealers don't take large personal checks. It's just their policy. We do and have even gotten burned on them once or twice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Edit: Nevermind. Cleared up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Huh. Didn't get that vibe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Huh. Didn't get that vibe.
Me either

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Just read your next post after that. Edited mine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Many dealers do that. Those checks come with a checklist the dealer has to submit to the lender,  then wait to get the approval then the funds transferred. We accept them, but the car has to sit until the funds are approved. Some people figet those instant approvals and dealers have had issues letting the customer take the car and funds are denied then the dealer has to try to get the car back all because the customer lied to get the approval. I have seen it happen more than once in my 17 years in the car business. They should accept the check but won't let you take the car until they have the money in their account

ETA. Those loan approvals are not guaranteed. It isn't like a certified check from your bank or a bank. Some dealers don't take large personal checks. It's just their policy. We do and have even gotten burned on them once or twice.
View Quote
PNC  Ready Checks are pre-approved up to a specified amount reflected on the paperwork AND the face of the check.  Dealers see them all the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PNC  Ready Checks are pre-approved up to a specified amount reflected on the paperwork AND the face of the check.  Dealers see them all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran a few dealerships and never saw a pnc check in over 10 years.

Did the deposits most days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Easy there feller, adults are trying to talk.  A dealer doesn't know what kind of stipulations the third party lender has.  Oh sure, you have a promise to fund.  That's great until the customer joyriding in your inventory (if delivered under this premise) Wont email proof of income/residence etc.  Under those circumstances, the lien holder will not fund until the purchaser complies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignoring the fact that telephones exist and the dealer could call PNC and ask what those stipulations are, and also ignoring the other things you list are the exact risks dealerships take every time they do a spot-delivery, what I would do with a hypothetical rifle I'm hypothetically selling has exactly ZERO in common with an actual business with multiple legitimate resources to enforce the legally binding (ie, not an IOU ) contract it enters into with it's customers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I bought a car once and the dealer-arranged financing was through PNC.

Quoted:
Weird... I just wrote a check for my last car.
I wrote a personal check for my Suburban, but it was only for $6,000

Quoted:
Just read your next post after that. Edited mine.
It's all good in the hood
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Popular here in southwest Ohio because PNC often times, but not always, has a very good rate.  Better rate than dealerships offer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a pre approved bank loan for 18 k once when I say approved I mean hard commitment, credit was run income verified everything. All I had to do to get a certified check was fax over   the paperwork.

Dick head salesman said he could do better in house, blah blah.

Walked out. Went down the road to another dealer, did the deal  in an hour.

Picked up the truck, went to the first dealer and said eff you moron!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How big of a fight was it to get them to tell you how much it was going to cost, all said and done, after all fees and everything?
View Quote
That wasn't a problem. I'm going to have PNC deal with them Monday. Everything is agreed upon in writing regarding price.

They expected I would cave into the financing game and I didn't. They did offer me slightly better, but I'll pay $5 more a month just so they don't get my money because they are assholes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Loan company has okayed you for an auto loan up to value X.

Unlike a traditional loan, you don't 'pull the trigger' on the loan until you actually write the check to buy the car.

There is generally a 30 day 'end date' where if you haven't pulled the trigger, the 'almost loan' cannot be acted upon, but you can re-apply
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kharn
View Quote
EXACTLY This...   The Oh, I'm not financing I'm paying CASH for the car is ALWAYS the LAST thing to do...   and you don't do it anywhere but the Finance office.

Also, This is why you ALWAYS do a car deal on the final Drive Out PRICE, not payments...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#41]
they probably offered you a price they wanted to finance at,  My friend bought a kia when she wanted a new one she negotiated the price, and when they found out she was going to pay cash they pulled the deal, she went to another dealer and got it for the price and cash.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ignoring the fact that telephones exist and the dealer could call PNC and ask what those stipulations are, and also ignoring the other things you list are the exact risks dealerships take every time they do a spot-delivery, what I would do with a hypothetical rifle I'm hypothetically selling has exactly ZERO in common with an actual business with multiple legitimate resources to enforce the legally binding (ie, not an IOU ) contract it enters into with it's customers.
View Quote
Who do you expect to fuck around on the phone verifying bullshit at a dealer?  Oh yeah, the "finance guy".  How do you think he makes his money?  Legworking someone else's payday for free?

Do you think an attorney would quarterback some random case when he knows the payday is going elsewhere?  You imply that a business should pay employees to make another business money.  

This shit is the Internet at its best.

"how things really don't work".
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#43]
They like to payment pack and you fucked it up for them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Popular here in southwest Ohio because PNC often times, but not always, has a very good rate.  Better rate than dealerships offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, in my area of PA it is often something like

Members 1st FCU
PSECU
PenFed
Ally Fin
Fifth Third
TD
Chase for so so credit, the unions usually have better rates for the best.

Have seen a lot of usaa checks and a few others people bring in, and see PNC personal checks, just not the loan checks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Who do you expect to fuck around on the phone verifying bullshit at a dealer?  Oh yeah, the "finance guy".  How do you think he makes his money?  Legworking someone else's payday for free?

Do you think an attorney would quarterback some random case when he knows the payday is going elsewhere?  You imply that a business should pay employees to make another business money.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.  I've never bought a car in my entire life nor been around other people who have bought cars.  I didn't personally complete a spot-delivery 2 weeks ago with 3rd party financing.  When this deal wasn't happening the finance guy had zero contact with said 3rd party.  There wasn't a 46-page thread here this past Feb where a spot-delivery deal fell through and the OP had to give the car back.  Your knowledge of the automobile sales industry, and likely everything else that could be discussed here, is beyond reproach.  I was wrong to question you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly true. So are capitol ones, ect. But the loan is not approved until the dealer faxes in certain stipulations and it's verified. Also the vehicle has to meet certain criteria. I have worked many of these deals. It isn't approved until the money is in the account. I could submit everything and do all the paperwork on the car and let you leave with it. Then the next day or two the bank comes back and says we don't approve this. Then I have to go get the car back or have you bring it back in. Third party checks are a touchy area.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#48]
It would be hard to believe any dealership would just accept a pre approved loan check on face value like it was a certified check or a bank check.  Those things in my experience are just a prop like the fake diploma you get on stage.  

Those pre-approved checks are really just to give the dealer the information they need in order to contact your financial institution to A: ensure you're actually approved for the loan, then B: arrange for payment to the dealer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had a pre approved bank loan for 18 k once when I say approved I mean hard commitment, credit was run income verified everything. All I had to do to get a certified check was fax over   the paperwork.

Dick head salesman said he could do better in house, blah blah.

Walked out. Went down the road to another dealer, did the deal  in an hour.

Picked up the truck, went to the first dealer and said eff you moron!
View Quote
Yeah that's typical. MOST Dealers can probably beat your rate that you got at your bank. So let them try. If they can't, then you have your rate from your bank.

But if they can, yeah the dealer makes a little (it's very little like $50-500) but so what..... You got a lower rate than you could get from your bank so it's a win-win.....

The only thing you did was possibly cost you money....so who is the moron? The dealer that offered you a chance to save some money in interest charges?????
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:49:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is exactly true. So are capitol ones, ect. But the loan is not approved until the dealer faxes in certain stipulations and it's verified. Also the vehicle has to meet certain criteria. I have worked many of these deals. It isn't approved until the money is in the account. I could submit everything and do all the paperwork on the car and let you leave with it. Then the next day or two the bank comes back and says we don't approve this. Then I have to go get the car back or have you bring it back in. Third party checks are a touchy area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't hand over the keys until the check cleared either. Makes sense to me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top