Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/6/2017 5:24:29 PM EDT
I'm a not a US citizen.

I want to join in about 2 years when I graduate (BS in Math and Compsci).

I want to go infantry/airborne, but I have no idea about anything. This is a difficult topic to research on my own, and all I have around me are vapid college kids.

I've not talked to a recruiter yet: I want to be prepared.

What should I know? Help me, arfcom. You're my only hope.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I knew two guys in my unit that were not US citizens.

One was Polish, the other British.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Go talk to a recruiter, then come back here and verify what you were told..... 

I was lucky, my recruiter was honest and put EVERYTHING in writing....  

So many people that were in had horror stories of recruiters "tricking" them.....

There is nothing they can do to force you to sign up....  they can mislead, but 

not really trick you into joining per say.  

Have you taken the ASVAB?  if not, you will need to schedule that, 

if you have, bring your results.   

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't. Or get your citizenship first.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Just for curiosity, why do you say "don't"?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Talk to a recruiter...not being a US citizen may affect your security clearance and what MOS you can choose.
But I knew lots of Filipinos in the military that got their citizenship afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Go talk to a recruiter, then come back here and verify what you were told..... 
View Quote
This.  There are ASVAB practice tests online.  Take them, see what you score.  Also I would recommend checking out some of the other jobs available.  There may be something else that could benefit you in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You can join with a valid green card as long as you get your citizenship within 8 years, otherwise you have to get out. Being in the Military will bump your citizenship application to the top so it doesn't take as long. I had several Soldiers get their citizenship while on Active duty. I also put dozens of people in the Army with green cards.

You an also join with certain types of Visas.

Go talk to a Recruiter. People who say their Recruiter lied to them were too stupid to ask questions and actually thought the Army was like the movies. Then, when they find themselves mopping floors, they blame their Recruiter for "lying". EVERYTHING is ALWAYS in writing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Because if your in long enough you wind up having to tell other people what to do. I loved taking orders from some fuckhead non English speaking asshole who wasn't even an American.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is a difficult topic to research on my own,

What should I know?
View Quote

with that amount of effort its gonna hurt
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Op you seem like the motivated person this country welcomes to attain citizenship. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because if your in long enough you wind up having to tell other people what to do. I loved taking orders from some fuckhead non English speaking asshole who wasn't even an American.
View Quote
I knew a SSG from Alabama and I couldn't understand a word out of that guy's mouth. When he wasn't hitting us with the deepest southern accent he was lapsing into Ebonics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Are you here legally?

If yes, then you can most likely still enlist. Security clearance will be an issue, until you're a citizen, but they have jobs that don't require them (good thing you want to be Infantry!).

Also, I've had 2 of my soldiers earn their citizenship while on Active Duty (one from Brazil, the other from Taiwan), and have seen another half dozen or so that didn't fall under me do the same.

Go ask a recruiter
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#14]
An enlisted Soldier has until the end of his second enlistment to become a citizen.

One of my students just finished Infantry OSUT (as a National Guardsman) and was sworn-in as a citizen at graduation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Army? Are the Marines too tough?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Army? Are the Marines too tough?
View Quote
says the squid
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
UHHH, joining is a good way to gain citizenship, you get really fast-tracked.

I don't know what you need to get in (assuming green card) but even when I got to Kandahar in '02 (before there was really shit there) there was a JAG tent near the terminal where they were doing citizenship paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Before you go jumping out of perfectly good aircraft, you might give this thread a moment:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Woman-jumps-off-building-in-New-York/5-2030290/
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
says the squid
View Quote
Both are too tough for me. I like air conditioning and hot meals.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
  I have met US soldiers whose ability to speak  ranged from Lil Wayne to Boomhauer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#21]
The French Foreign Legion is an option.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The French Foreign Legion is an option.
View Quote
I knew a dude who talked about trying to join them after he got out of the Marines and Blackwater/Triple Canopy wasn't hiring. I don't know if he made it or not but I recently saw an article on their recruitment by some guy who tried to join and apparently it's really difficult.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't taken the ASVAB. I am here legally.

I was born in Iran, and became a permanent resident of a European country at a fairly young age before coming to the USA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Go sign up for ROTC at your school now.  Go in as an officer (not sure if you can as a non citizen), but if you can do it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you living in the U.S.?

They let dreamers join .mil, so if here legally iy should not be a big issue.

like menioned talk to recruiter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]
A guy in my unit in the Marines got his green card after desert storm, I am not positive what hoops he had to jump through to get there though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't know if Army is the same but on the Navy side, enlisted gets to go front of the line for their citizenship paperwork.  The JAG office handles the issue but they work pretty fast.  I have seen non citizens get their citizenship in two years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent over twenty years in the military.  I had a lot of soldiers who were not citizens.  Once you are in, you can get help from JAG.  They will help with the paper work to become a citizen.  During the early 80s, people from Eastern Europe had special programs to enter SF.  Since you have college you should go Special Forces.  Just because you aren't a citizen doesn't always mean you can't obtain a clearance.  If you can get a wavier for a clearance you go straight to the Rangers or SF.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was born in Iran, and became a permanent resident of a European country at a fairly young age before coming to the USA.
View Quote
If you have a green card you are good to go.  I am assuming you are here on a student visa and I am not sure how that works.  A recruiter will know the answer or where to find the answer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I was not a citizen when I joined the USMC.

My commanding officer administered my oath of citizenship once I took the test after I was on active duty and in the fleet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:02:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you speak Farsi? not to piss on your idea of airborne infantry but with a language alot of interesting doors can become open, once your a citizen and your clearances are complete..
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?
Because it will be difficult to become an Officer (security clearance issues) which would defeat his purpose of finishing his BA. Also, non-citizens enlist in lower echelon MOSs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#34]
What should I do to prepare physically?

I'm conditioned for sprinting.

At the moment, I'm 6', 165 lbs, at about 9% bf.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do you speak Farsi? not to piss on your idea of airborne infantry but with a language alot of interesting doors can become open, once your a citizen and your clearances are complete..
View Quote
Yeah, I speak Farsi. But I'm reticent even to consider a different mos.

I'm not going to join to sit behind a desk or a computer screen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
 If you speak Farsi you may find that they're more willing to help you join.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#37]
A good part of the military are not citizens. One of my best friends got his citizenship while he was in. We took him to the titty bar that night and he always remembers the day he became a citizen he got titties and a HJ from an ugly stripper
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just know, if you do go Infantry, expect to get some shit
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
 Civil Affairs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Civil_Affairs_and_Psychological_Operations_Command
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Get naturalized.  THEN GO...as an officer.  NOT ENLISTED.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Day 1

Quoted:
I'm a not a US citizen.

I want to join in about 2 years when I graduate (BS in Math and Compsci).

I want to go infantry/airborne, but I have no idea about anything. This is a difficult topic to research on my own, and all I have around me are vapid college kids.

I've not talked to a recruiter yet: I want to be prepared.

What should I know? Help me, arfcom. You're my only hope.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Plenty of non-citizens in the army. Certain jobs would not be an option for you, though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Talk to a recruiter...not being a US citizen may affect your security clearance and what MOS you can choose.
But I knew lots of Filipinos in the military that got their citizenship afterwards.
View Quote
This....Worked with an Aussie in 03 who was USAF.....We had to scrub the area anytime he was in the room. Kind of a pain but he was a great dude. You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
THEN DO NOT MENTION YOUR LANGUAGE SKILLS. Don't even tell your squad mates.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#45]
you can enlist. just cant get a security clearance.i was canadian citizen when i enlisted and changed after first cruise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
What difference does it make, really? Were you more of a soldier (or whatever branch) than they were because you are a citizen?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Dude, you are 19. Good on you for wanting to join the military and go infantry. That being said, focus on finishing school. Work out, eat healthy and don't knock up any chicks. Once you are done with school, or close to it, then start looking into the military and talking to recruiters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NOT ENLISTED.
View Quote
Do you know what his interests are? I know several occiifers who wish they had stayed enlisted.

Edit:Damn....blew by post .243 and now .270 ..guess I am not worthy and should stay enlisted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#50]
You can enlist with a green card, but you can't commission without citizenship. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top