Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2017 9:30:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
South African HOA covenants enforcement vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No match for TOW-2B, or 120mm APFSDS-T.  Bring that weak shit, and we'll make it a burning target reference point.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm amazed that they have still have any industry left at all.

It'll be gone soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet there's a liveleak video of that being used on some miners.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They were pioneers with this shit.   They made some cool shit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No match for TOW-2B, or 120mm APFSDS-T.  Bring that weak shit, and we'll make it a burning target reference point.
View Quote
No shit, but do you feel bigger now?  I'm just looking for more data on this vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at it through my M1A2 gun site, yes, I do.  I would suggest a Janes World Armor, or the World a Wide Equipment Guide.  Both are online.  We don't spend a lot of time studying African vehicles, as they aren't the current threat.  First glance makes me think infantry support.  I'm betting the main gun is 105mm.  Not enough to defeat US armor, but very good against trucks/APCs/bunkers.  It looks to be capable of max-elevating the gun enough to lob in HE rounds against ground troops.  Just my $0.02.  Not trying to be a smartass...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't tracks better than tires?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking at it through my M1A2 gun site, yes, I do.  I would suggest a Janes World Armor, or the World a Wide Equipment Guide.  Both are online.  We don't spend a lot of time studying African vehicles, as they aren't the current threat.  First glance makes me think infantry support.  I'm betting the main gun is 105mm.  Not enough to defeat US armor, but very good against trucks/APCs/bunkers.  It looks to be capable of max-elevating the gun enough to lob in HE rounds against ground troops.  Just my $0.02.  Not trying to be a smartass...
View Quote
Sometimes we can succeed without even trying...
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Each have pros and cons...my preference is for tracks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, studied Janes during my time in the Corps shooting TOWs.  Looking for data on the Rooikat.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Usually, not always.  The Army used to think that and now they have Strykers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#13]
No flash hider.  Obviously a PRE-BAN model.  

Not interested.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Pretty sure World OF Tanks needs a SA line now
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
From what I understand, the SA army placed an emphasis on speed, hence the choice of a wheeled vehicle.  With that 76mm main gun and if it was fast (like LAVs), I bet this thing could lay down some hate in African conflicts.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks similar to a Stryker. Dunno nuffin else bout dat. Not particularly sexy IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Um that thing is fugly.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Um that thing is fugly.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
That thing looks fun as fuck.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're looking at it through the eyes of a Cav Scout in the TN NG. You should look at it through the eyes of an South African Defense Minister, where it is more than ample for it's intended missions. It's not designed to go head-to-head with modern Soviet armor, like an Abrams or Bradley is. It is designed to go running around the South African brush, primarily as a recon vehicle, but with the capability of taking on old-ass T-54's and T-55's crewed by backward ass African crews. Given the limited threat faced by the South Africans, the Rooikat is plenty sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You're looking at it through the eyes of a Cav Scout in the TN NG. You should look at it through the eyes of an South African Defense Minister, where it is more than ample for it's intended missions. It's not designed to go head-to-head with modern Soviet armor, like an Abrams or Bradley is. It is designed to go running around the South African brush, primarily as a recon vehicle, but with the capability of taking on old-ass T-54's and T-55's crewed by backward ass African crews. Given the limited threat faced by the South Africans, the Rooikat is plenty sufficient.

BTW, were you to peruse the aforementioned Jane's or Worldwide Equipment Guide, you'd know better than to have bet on it having a 105mm main gun, as it is actually a 76mm rifled gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTW, were you to peruse the aforementioned Jane's or Worldwide Equipment Guide, you'd know better than to have bet on it having a 105mm main gun, as it is actually a 76mm rifled gun.
Spot on, except there were some made with 105mm guns, only for export, I think.  If you think about this as a bridge between AFVs and MBTs, with more gun than an AFV and more speed than an MBT, it makes sense, at least to my dumb ass.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Spot on, except there were some made with 105mm guns, only for export, I think.  If you think about this as a bridge between IFVs and MBTs, with more gun than an IFV and more speed than an MBT, it makes sense, at least to my dumb ass.
View Quote
The Rooikat 105 was developed in the late 80's / early 90's, but the SADF didn't see a need to replace the 76mm gun, as it was deemed adequate, and the flood of Cold War era AFV's entering the market really hindered sales. There were just too many ComBloc countries looking to offload AFV's as a way of financing democracy for the Rooikat 105 to have chance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
All it takes is a lucky hit on a fuel can from an RPG to kill the crew of the M1.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends. Tires are way faster, easier to maintain, and more damage resistant (can lose a few tires on many designs and at least have limited mobility. Plus they don't get killed by operating on roads.

Tracks are good for cross country, suck for roads, and look like maintenance hogs. The best thing is they have low ground pressure.  The worst thing is... everything else about them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All it takes is a lucky hit on a fuel can from an RPG to kill the crew of the M1.
View Quote
He's a motivated boot, good for him, but kinda annoying (the guy you responded to.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:37:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He's a motivated boot, good for him, but kinda annoying (the guy you responded to.)
View Quote
 LOL

I imagine while he's breaking tracks all day waiting for the next conventional land war, while all the guys with wheels pass him going down range, wheeled vehicles like the one in question will make sense.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I had to search S. African sexy...

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Throw some super swampers on that puppy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes it is ugly but still cool as fuck

Yes it a piece of shit but it still blows things up

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Win.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:50:01 AM EDT
[#32]
The South Africans have very interesting approaches to problems. There came up with the MRAP and Stryker waaayyyy before we did.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Win.
View Quote
Check me. She is legit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Saw the thread title. Clicked hoping for Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
  That's nice,and true,but it was designed to shoot up Angolan and Cuban T-54/55s,not fight the US so I'll give and one
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
 LOL

I imagine while he's breaking tracks all day waiting for the next conventional land war, while all the guys with wheels pass him going down range, wheeled vehicles like the one in question will make sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

But my YAT-YAS... kicked me right in the feels.

Wheels are generally a better option though.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Saw the thread title. Clicked hoping for Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
View Quote
  I'm more into Candice Swanepoel but we all have our preference s
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:19:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
 LOL

View Quote
 These were designed for war in SW Africa,with a need to cover huge swaths of territory with few troops so speed was of the essence. Wheeled vehicles also proved to have a perfectly acceptable degree of mobility.
 The threat was,as has been mentioned,Angolan and Cuban armor and the Eland 90s were just a little too light for the job. The 76 on the Rooikat can punch through a T-55 just fine with the Israeli supplied APFSDS

Conditions they were meant to fight

Eland leading a column with KOed Angolan tank

A Ratel 90 that just hit a T-54 at very short range in the bush,a completely different war than shooting Iraqi tanks

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:41:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The South Africans have very interesting approaches to problems. There came up with the MRAP and Stryker waaayyyy before we did.
View Quote
The Rooikat beat the Stryker in the trials. The Congressional Black Caucus blocked buying Rooikat.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:49:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

These were designed for war in SW Africa,with a need to cover huge swaths of territory with few troops so speed was of the essence. Wheeled vehicles also proved to have a perfectly acceptable degree of mobility.
 The threat was,as has been mentioned,Angolan and Cuban armor and the Eland 90s were just a little too light for the job. The 76 on the Rooikat can punch through a T-55 just fine with the Israeli supplied APFSDS
 https://cdn-business.discourse.org/uploads/cartridgecollectors/original/1X/2e2a36577972c1b194d7ad7ccd6148d411f671c3.JPG

Conditions they were meant to fight

Eland leading a column with KOed Angolan tank
 https://i.redd.it/8wuqkj3isbyy.png

A Ratel 90 that just hit a T-54 at very short range in the bush,a completely different war than shooting Iraqi tanks

https://i.imgur.com/YoF9QLr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high
View Quote
That last one had to have a pretty good pucker factor.  Being that close to a tank, even one you know you can kill, certainly will get you some good cardio.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Usually, not always.  The Army used to think that and now they have Strykers.
View Quote
Except that this does something the Stryker failed at.  It has a gun.  The Stryker is a by-blow of the MGS which I have lost track of but haven't heard that it was either cancelled or put out any vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:56:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Dont know if this is real

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

My Bn did the assault river crossing in 03 in tracks. I saw thousands upon thousands of amtrac track pads littering the highways to Bagdad. if looked like a rough ride.

I was the first hummer behind the BC's track too... thank god it was a bullet magnet with all the antenna.  My truck caught way less rounds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:52:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That last one had to have a pretty good pucker factor.  Being that close to a tank, even one you know you can kill, certainly will get you some good cardio.
View Quote
  It fired 3 90mm rounds,at that range.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Rooikat beat the Stryker in the trials. The Congressional Black Caucus blocked buying Rooikat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kind of silly to boycot it considering SA is run by a black gov these days. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Are you somehow expecting a position of intelligence from

?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:06:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://aurn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/cong-black-caucus-feature-image.jpg ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://aurn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/cong-black-caucus-feature-image.jpg ?
I'd have expected the (I assume black) representitive from the SA gov to remind them that they would be supporting a black gov if they buy the SA vehicle. 
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:25:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't have much to add as far as armor, but I feel this is apropos nonetheless

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#49]
<CoC 9>
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'd have expected the (I assume black) representitive from the SA gov to remind them that they would be supporting a black gov if they buy the SA vehicle. 
View Quote
 This is expecting the ANC to do something productive... They would just as soon see the RSA arms industry go away as it is a white artifact of apartheid and so forth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top