BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That velocity seems a little paltry. Is that normal?
View Quote
?? I get 100 more fps with 120 ssts in my 6.8.

But, I just remembered, it's an 18" Lothar Walther (Precision Firearms)
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wolf 100 grain FMJ-BT

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/38268/Reduced-181881.jpg
View Quote
I agree wit dis feller.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for the wolf test!

Got the 12" faxon coming eventually and gonna get a howa mini too
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@bluefalcon
I might be able to provide an upper.  I've got a wolf barrel and empty upper sitting around doing nothing.  In fact, I might be able to send a 12.5" upper as well for comparison.

Interested?
View Quote
Email sent from "bitter".
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one sample of steel case Grendel on a hog.  I have some other photos of recovered projectiles showing bent over nose and evidence of violent yawing in the tissue.

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Email sent from "bitter".
View Quote
Nice.  Looks like this is going to happen.  I'm in line for testing, he's doing some 5.56 tests next then I think the Grendel is back on the table.  That gives me a few weeks to get everything together for it and shipped off.  I don't doubt that the first rounds through both of those barrels are going to be at the gel.

If nothing else it gets me off my ass and putting those uppers together- finally.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I am subscribing to this post. I sell a lot of Grendel uppers at my shop. I had a guy drive in from 120 miles south last night and he pick up a 20" complete upper half that we sell for $329. He topped it with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 scope. This morning he sent us a message on Facebook and attached a photo of his first 6 rounds shooting Wolf steel cased ammo. The first shot was 8 inches low 6 inches left (from my laser bore sighting at 70 yards) and his next five shots printed a nice group that looks like it measured about 1.5".

I am interested to see how the 100 grain ammo performs in the ballistic gel. I am going to cut a projectile in half (like Dave Fortier) to show my customers. Grendels are HOT sellers for me at my shop. I want to take a minute to thank LR for posting that thread about shooting 1000 yards with a Grendel becuase he is the one who got me into Grendels. My customers tend to want to mimic our shop demo guns and and I wouldn't be into the Grendel if it were not for all of the pioneers our there spreading the information about this round.

Thank you to the OP for posting the video. It was impressive to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is one sample of steel case Grendel on a hog.  I have some other photos of recovered projectiles showing bent over nose and evidence of violent yawing in the tissue.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/WolfSteelCaseHog_zps305d802c.jpg
View Quote
Oh yeah? Care to post them?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j422/LRRPF52/WolfSteelCaseHog_zps305d802c.jpg
Imagine this sucker trying to spin through you at well over 200,000rpm...

Recovered from deer:

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#11]
100gr wolf next please.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Stylz

How many FPS did you record the high speed footage at?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Love the video and the discussion.  I've been playing with the idea of getting a .50 Beowulf upper.  What will the Grendel do that the Beowulf can't?  Is it especially good at long distance? Serious questions, not trying to bag on the round.  Appreciate any intelligent discussion.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Love the video and the discussion.  I've been playing with the idea of getting a .50 Beowulf upper.  What will the Grendel do that the Beowulf can't?  Is it especially good at long distance? Serious questions, not trying to bag on the round.  Appreciate any intelligent discussion.
View Quote
The Grendel has the longest distance potential of any AR15 cartridge other than maybe some special wildcat stuff. You can buy match ammo for $0.80 and steel case for $0.23.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow that's pretty crazy. It must have had more frontal surface area than an expanding hollow point. I bet it messed stuff up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Stylz

How many FPS did you record the high speed footage at?
View Quote
1,000 fps. Shot by Casio Exilim EX-700zr. They're pretty cheap on Amazon. I picked up a pink Japanese import version for $150 a couple days ago. Nothing else does a frame rate that fast anywhere near the price. Some day, if I can afford it, I'd like to get a better one, but it's a couple grand before you can do any better.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for sharing that info bluefalcon. It's cool that you share the trade secrets.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beowulf is killer for short range work. I've seen people take bull moose in Alaska with it at 150ish yds. But it's not an all around cartridge, you won't shoot it much because it's expensive and kicks like a bastard.

Grendel is a lot of fun at all ranges, and easy work at 500 on steel. My 18" is capable of taking game at 400yds, which is a lot farther than the beowulf.  Grendel has steel case ammo at less than 24 cents per round, and premium stuff for a buck a round. There are new barrel manufacturers hopping on the Grendel train and complete rifles coming out as well. Grendel is just gaining steam in the AR world where beowulf has already leveled off.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the summation.  Someone mentioned an inexpensive upper.  Got a link?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for the summation.  Someone mentioned an inexpensive upper.  Got a link?
View Quote
http://www.luckygunner.com/6-5-grendel-16-barrel-ar-15-complete-upper-receiver-wolf-performance-arms
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I do like the 123gr SST's.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Exit and entrance on a Doe at 275 yards.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
SST is my go to bullet for hunting as well. My Grendel has taken 2 black bears and 2 mule deer with it. Very pleased with the performance.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
SST is my go to bullet for hunting as well. My Grendel has taken 2 black bears and 2 mule deer with it. Very pleased with the performance.
View Quote
I can remember 12 years ago people telling me it was only good for shooting paper with.......

LOL
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Grendel has more retained energy and higher impact speed at 200yds, which is crazy when you think about how much weight the .50 Beowulf or .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM spit out of the muzzle.

A 10.5" Grendel has more energy at the muzzle and out than a 20" 5.56 AR15 spitting hot 62gr.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Grendel has more retained energy and higher impact speed at 200yds, which is crazy when you think about how much weight the .50 Beowulf or .450 Bushmaster and .458 SOCOM spit out of the muzzle.

A 10.5" Grendel has more energy at the muzzle and out than a 20" 5.56 AR15 spitting hot 62gr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You fuckers owe me $400. I ordered an upper from J&G and will be buying some ammo here shortly.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You fuckers owe me $400. I ordered an upper from J&G and will be buying some ammo here shortly.  
View Quote
You have just begin to delve into the Grendel addiction. It's worse than a drug. You look at the little fat case and your mind says no way. Then it just chugs out there and surprises you. Optics is next then reloading.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
The first time I shot Grendel on steel, I felt cheated all these years.

Where was this when I was humping an M24 SWS with its bull .900" muzzle and lower BC M118 ammo, with twice the recoil?

I could have had higher hit probability in that duty position, with something that fits in an M4.

I could throw every accessory, bipod, optic, IR pointer, grip, and light on it and still not be as heavy as an M24 or SR25.

It quickly ruined my childhood plans for the ultimate 7.62 NATO carbine blaster, which I thought would never be a possibility after the AWBs of the late 80s and early 90s.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have ordered twice ,so far from SG Ammo.
Great service/price. I am pleased with my Wolf upper,
great way to get into the Grendel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread too much, but how does 6.5 Grendel do in super short barrels? Like 7, 8, or 9 inches? Does it still run the risk of over-penetration?

And are there any issues with feeding due to the large shoulder?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hopefully I'm not hijacking the thread too much, but how does 6.5 Grendel do in super short barrels? Like 7, 8, or 9 inches? Does it still run the risk of over-penetration?

View Quote
Well, the "over penetration" part was just a result of the sectional density. A lighter bullet would penetrate less. Lower velocity will tend to penetrate more, though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, the "over penetration" part was just a result of the sectional density. A lighter bullet would penetrate less. Lower velocity will tend to penetrate more, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about reliable expansion/fragmentation from shorter barrels? If anyone just wants to point me in the direction of some links I'll read up. Otherwise I will do some googling when I get a chance tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've heard nothing bad about those.
I need to pick one up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it to me. I own one,
it's NOT for sale.
I've heard nothing bad about those.
I need to pick one up
Yes, you do. I'll be posting a longer term review in the AR Variants section in September. Ive had mine since Jan of this year and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#37]
tag
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Tagged for lunch viewing tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What was the range of that?
View Quote
I love the Grendel.  About four years ago I dropped a buck in his tracks 430 yards across a bean field.  It is an awesome round.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#40]
With a 20" Schilen barrel, my Grendel's velocity was around 2550 fps, and with a 123 grain Sierra match king, it remained supersonic till around 1300 yards....sometimes further depending on atmospheric/environmental conditions.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top