Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for this,I use it quite a bit on pigs and it's always worked well.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for taking the time to test this stuff.  This is my go to ammo.  Someone else (maybe molon) tested these here on AR15.com a long time ago with similar results.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Snap using the new G2 Chrono I see :D
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been a fan of PPU ammo for 10 years. almost 2800FPS out of a 16" barrel is just amazing for an cheap 75 grain load..

I like the 75 grain stuff.
I like the 69 grain stuff too.

The 69 grain loads will shoot better in 1-9 barrels. It will shoot sub MOA through several of my old 1-9 rifles.

Good stuff. Never had a blown case, or a squib.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, great video. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great video @bluefalcon

Your production of these vids is ever improving.
View Quote
Thank you. I've been practicing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you serious? Basic physics. A bullet only drops in speed after leaving the barrel. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Test failure....you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away, if not more, for proper results.
Are you serious? Basic physics. A bullet only drops in speed after leaving the barrel. 
Rofl...when my brother was a kid he used this logic to determine how close he wanted to be when I shot him with my new paintball gun.  His logic was not sound and he cried.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm confident in the velocity result. That's a quality chrono. It was very hot that day, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love ya buddy but your chrono is fucky.

No way a .223 spec 75gr is going 2800 in that bbl. More like 2550.

Great bullet though and great test as usual. I used to use that for HD before 64gr GD.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match _Ammunition___Velocity__Accuracy_and_Terminal_Ballistics.html
I'm confident in the velocity result. That's a quality chrono. It was very hot that day, though.
Any chance you were close enough to get blowby gas affecting the reading? How close do you have to be for this to be a factor anyway?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I always here people say/read them write that a hollow point boat tail (match) bullet doesn't expand.

Somewhere upstairs in the attic I've got 5 or 6 Sierra 180 grain Match Kings I dug out of a soft dirt bank behind my targets.  The targets were at 600 yds.  The Match Kings are anywhere from a nickel to a quarter in diameter.  The jackets split right along the little lines you can see in the surface of the jacket and some even tossed the lead core out of them.  M1A.  .308.  600 yds. and the still expanded in that soft dirt.  They went in a about a foot, maybe more, but I was able to dig them out by hand.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yet..........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things that go bump in the night for me get Gold Dot 64gr.
Things that go bump in the night for me get a pat on the head and hold my hand to the bathroom.  You guys live in exciting places.
Nope, we don't live in exciting places, you are just way to serious.  

My kids are 16 and 19.  Nobody holds my hand to the bathroom.
Yet..........
LOL, ain't that the truth. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
You should do a gel test on Hornady 75gr BTHP training ammo. If I remember correctly it is very accurate and less money than PP.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I always here people say/read them write that a hollow point boat tail (match) bullet doesn't expand.

Somewhere upstairs in the attic I've got 5 or 6 Sierra 180 grain Match Kings I dug out of a soft dirt bank behind my targets.  The targets were at 600 yds.  The Match Kings are anywhere from a nickel to a quarter in diameter.  The jackets split right along the little lines you can see in the surface of the jacket and some even tossed the lead core out of them.  M1A.  .308.  600 yds. and the still expanded in that soft dirt.  They went in a about a foot, maybe more, but I was able to dig them out by hand.
View Quote
Jacket separation is just as likely as lack of expansion.

When OT bullets hit liquid like stuff like soft tissue they split and the jacket flattens out. I have seen pieces of mangled jacket the size of a quarter or silver dollar after shooting milk jugs with Ots. The core just crumbles into little chunks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
How did you handle the ammo and rifle before you fired it? Were either laying in the sun for any period of time? Any guess at the temperatures of the metal parts? Did you examine the cases?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any chance you were close enough to get blowby gas affecting the reading? How close do you have to be for this to be a factor anyway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love ya buddy but your chrono is fucky.

No way a .223 spec 75gr is going 2800 in that bbl. More like 2550.

Great bullet though and great test as usual. I used to use that for HD before 64gr GD.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/491816_Prvi_Partizan_75_grain_Match _Ammunition___Velocity__Accuracy_and_Terminal_Ballistics.html
I was about ten feet away. I've measured similar velocity in other tests.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How did you handle the ammo and rifle before you fired it? Were either laying in the sun for any period of time? Any guess at the temperatures of the metal parts? Did you examine the cases?
View Quote
No, I never leave things laying in the direct sun. I want to keep my skin.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Been using Hornady 75 grain BTHP for my Home Defense Magazines, costs quite a bit to practice with/function test.

I imagine these will be a less expensive alternative?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
More good stuff from The Chopping Block.  Gen3 Pmag has 20 rds. of this sitting next to me. Bought Gold dot for other stuff, but PPU for the apartment.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you explain it being faster than even MK262 mod1?

Every single other test shows it being much slower than it. Most are about 150 fps slower. I'd honestly try using another chrono.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Test failure....you did not allow the bullet to travel far enough to gain maximum velocity. You need be at least 40 meters away, if not more, for proper results.
View Quote
Wat?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I seem to recall, a member from Texas has some high praise for this load and bullet against feral hogs.  

@Ponyboy
View Quote
I've killed a lot of pigs with it. It's my preferred hunting round
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#21]
best barrel twist rate to use this ammo?

Nice video by the way
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Every single other test shows it being much slower than it. Most are about 150 fps slower. I'd honestly try using another chrono.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have. I don't know what else to tell you, dude.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice video by the way
View Quote
Most 1:9" twist barrels will stabilize it. Anything faster will be good to go.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#24]
For those interested.

Here's my range results for the PPU 75gr BTHP today.  I'm not the best shot in the world either

26" WOA Varmint 1:8 twist

At 100 yards 10 shot groups.

I missed a round on this one, top right, that's not a valid group.

By this time I've already went through about 40 rounds.

I ended the session with some better ammo to verify zero was still intact.  Should have let the barrel cool down though.

Hordnady Superformance Match 75gr and some Black Hills mk262

I've been shooting this stuff since January, I can't ever get it to stabilize so my groups are consistent.  Almost every time I get flyers multiple times.  I'm surprised at the middle 1.65 MOA Group, its usually never that tight, as you can see in the rest of the groups.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's not.  My Hornady and Black Hills shoot amazing but I can't pull the PPU in.  I like the ammo, but it isn't great for precision.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
My "roll your own" copy of this is
Any decent brass
Wolf SRM primer
23.6 grains of TAC
75 PPU bullet seated at 2.260"
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Any decent brass
Wolf SRM primer
23.6 grains of TAC
View Quote
Whats it chrono?

24gr TAC and a 75gr BTHP gets me 2600 in a 16".
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any decent brass
Wolf SRM primer
23.6 grains of TAC
View Quote
Where are you getting the bullets?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I got them from Wideners some years back
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got them from Wideners some years back
View Quote
Thanks. I see Graf''s has them too.
Midsouth doesn't.  Too bad.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nice video by the way
View Quote
1-8"
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For those interested.

Here's my range results for the PPU 75gr BTHP today.  I'm not the best shot in the world either

http://i.imgur.com/nKX7LHu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NDALl56.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/esziLJk.jpg

I ended the session with some better ammo to verify zero was still intact.  Should have let the barrel cool down though.

http://i.imgur.com/SnSIEQx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6VnRtmr.jpg

I've been shooting this stuff since January, I can't ever get it to stabilize so my groups are consistent.  Almost every time I get flyers multiple times.  I'm surprised at the middle 1.65 MOA Group, its usually never that tight, as you can see in the rest of the groups.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's not.  My Hornady and Black Hills shoot amazing but I can't pull the PPU in.  I like the ammo, but it isn't great for precision.
View Quote
You should shoot 10 round groups with both loads.

In the 10 shot groups It seems to me that you have two shot clusters. As if you count to five twice during the group and break concentration between strings.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks. Been sitting on a few cases, mags stocked w it. Glad it performs well
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:29:20 AM EDT
[#34]
... cool, gonna have to get some of that ammo
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks. Been sitting on a few cases, mags stocked w it. Glad it performs well
View Quote
You can also find PPU m-193 with water sealed case mouths and primers in little boxes without deviders. That is important.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#36]
A very good video, thanks.

So far as accuracy goes, if I'm going to use it for self defense within my home it's perfectly adequate.

I'm interested in the terminal ballistics since I'd be shooting it at a distance of no more than 10 yards or so, and they appear to be very good.

And of course, most importantly, reliability.

I'm buying some of this to see how it reliably shoots in my own 1 in 7 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Best I have gotten is 2moa in an 18" rifle length ER Shaw stainless barrel.  I have a photo of a 10 shot group in this thread I did.

Here

The group there shows over 2moa.  I have done several groups with this stuff.  Not bad ammo but not what I would call match ammo either.  The gel ballistics I do not have the capability to perform yet.
View Quote
Lug1, are you going to do a video on the X-TAC if time permits? 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

eta, sorry, just saw the wink at the end.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best I have gotten is 2moa in an 18" rifle length ER Shaw stainless barrel.  I have a photo of a 10 shot group in this thread I did.

Here

The group there shows over 2moa.  I have done several groups with this stuff.  Not bad ammo but not what I would call match ammo either.  The gel ballistics I do not have the capability to perform yet.
I cannot say when it will happen, but I have multiple lots of XTac 55gr and 62gr I can use.  I will make it happen.  My partner in crime, Sethro..a member here who has never even posted, is super busy.  We have been having a hard time connecting.  

He has said I can come to the range anytime, but it just isn't as much fun alone.  Yes I will get to it.  Question is what barrels?  Continue along along the PSA barrel line of thinking because so many people have them...they are all CHF PSA barrels.

I no longer have a stainless precision rig.  I rebarreled with an 18" FN CHF CL.   I do have a 16" ARP nitride.  

My thoughts are to continue with the known PSA (FN) CHF known commodity.  Sethro has a real accurate BCM stainless rig we could potentially throw in there.

***after some thought I could compare my Centurion CHF 16" mid against my ARP 16" mid.  The Centurion is currently my most accurate known rifle.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You should shoot 10 round groups with both loads.

In the 10 shot groups It seems to me that you have two shot clusters. As if you count to five twice during the group and break concentration between strings.
View Quote
As I said, I'm not the best shot int he world.

The PPU always does this for some reason for me.  I am doing 10 rounds continuous, no pauses.  Then again, I could be breaking concentration without realizing it, my range sucks, dudes always blabbering about something instead of shooting, or constantly screaming to go cold so they can run down to check targets after 2 shots.  I try to take my time too, working on the fundamentals to better myself.  Trying not to rush the shots, and that could be contributing to it.

I wish I could pull the PPU in tighter, just haven't been able to manage it.  I do fine with the Hornady and Black Hills, but the PPU just goes everywhere.  

The PPU was shooting .9 to 1.3 MOA when the barrel was brand new.  Was doing some .75 MOA groups, but mostly in the 1MOA range.  Now it just doesn't seem to like it, and has preferred much more expensive ammo like the Black Hills MK262.

Any tips to help pull the PPU in better would be appreciated but would be better to take to PMs to not derail the thread.  

All I can do is keep practicing  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]
I have used it on crop damage deer with reloads when wideners had them awhile back and it was very good.I got sub moa with my reloads out of my colts.Deer out to 250 were dropped easily.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
For those interested.

http://i.imgur.com/nKX7LHu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NDALl56.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/esziLJk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SnSIEQx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6VnRtmr.jpg

View Quote
That is actually some quite solid groups with the Hornady and Black Hills ammo. Good job! They would look even better though if you would simply adjust the windage 2 clicks to the left though!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I just checked our downstairs 14.5" HD rifle/weapon. The mag was/is filled with 27 rounds of the PPU 75 grain pills. I thought it was filled with Hornady TAP but I'm leaving the PPU in as I've always had very good results 100 yards and closer with this ammo. It totally decimates coyotes that are ever present along our creek line! I vote this is as one of the very best performance to value 75 grain ammo offerings.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey the pin fell out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top