Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It was good watching JW win the International Forged in Fire competition.  That was an awesome damascus pattern he did.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking forward to this episode
That guy from Poland? That has the youtube videos? Should be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#3]
A fine blade!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
About the only show I watch. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at pounding steel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought tonight's international champion episode was good.  I felt bad for the Argentinian guy, the way his tang was so hard he couldn't drill it, and again, it made me wonder about the tempering done offscreen.  The tempering should be up to the smiths, afterall, it's part of the process.  The guy had some chops, at any rate.  The French guy was funny.
View Quote
52100 sucks to drill even tempered back.  He should have heated the tang with the torch when he was straightening.  

In fact anyone regardless of alloy drilling after HT should just plan on doing that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The French guy sure was a ham on camera. .....
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
When they start foreshadowing stuff like the epoxy with no pins hidden tang... and make sure to insert the judges saying X will happen...... yep, that's probably a good indication of what's to come.

It sucks, too, because he had a great knife up to that point.

I enjoyed this particular episode, because it was clear that a great amount of skill was on display.   Often someone makes a mistake and they fall apart and it's clear who's going home.  In this case, the guy from Poland made sense because he was the best choice, but in many other episodes, he would have been fine to have continued, which just shows the quality of the competition.

I enjoy it the most when the finish is so close they have to judge off nitpicks, not a failed blade.  It makes for more enjoyment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, all 4 of those guys had great forging skills.  That was a fun episode to watch.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I think thats the second episode they had to make tongs, any future contestants might want to brush up on that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think thats the second episode they had to make tongs, any future contestants might want to brush up on that.
View Quote
I still struggle to make good tongs.

I can make usable tongs, but rarely what I really wanted.

That, and hammers from scratch are on my list for this winter.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoy it .
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I watch all of them as well. They're really fun most of the time and you see some really skilled people.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
They've made them do hammers before but I don't remember them doing tongs. 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Most bladesmith's are not going to go through the hassle of making tongs.  It costs $45-$50 to buy a set and modify them if needed.   I have made several sets but will buy them if I have the time.  The best tongs are a welder and a piece of re-bar anyway.  

Yes it would be a good idea to bang out a set or 2.  Can never have enough tongs.... Or was that guns?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Jay did not hold back chopping that log.
All the blades where good.
Shame the handle broke.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most bladesmith's are not going to go through the hassle of making tongs.  It costs $45-$50 to buy a set and modify them if needed.   I have made several sets but will buy them if I have the time.  The best tongs are a welder and a piece of re-bar anyway.  

Yes it would be a good idea to bang out a set or 2.  Can never have enough tongs.... Or was that guns?
View Quote
^^

I loathe making tongs.  I even laser cut my own blanks and I still hate doing it.  Every hammer strike I think "I could be making a blade."
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone completed a seax in the first round?  I like that design, so I always get excited when someone attempts one, but it always seems like it gets messed up and they get eliminated.
View Quote
The seax completed in the first round last night was one of the best looking first round knives I've seen.  Doug made a pun about it being the "seaxist seax" he's seen.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The seax completed in the first round last night was one of the best looking first round knives I've seen.  Doug made a pun about it being the "seaxist seax" he's seen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone completed a seax in the first round?  I like that design, so I always get excited when someone attempts one, but it always seems like it gets messed up and they get eliminated.
That was a good episode.  I could tell with the remarks of weight he was going to lose.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Very cool show. Liam Hoffman just taught an AXE class at the college where I teach. Nice guy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I am getting tired of the ridiculous, barely iron age stuff they've been using for the final challenge the last couple seasons. Yesterday's weapon was actually interesting for a change. I know doing a new Oakeshott Type blah blah each episode would be boring to most viewers, but please, no more stupid African or Pacific Island shit. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I haven't seen the last few episodes. I've been busy making knives. I started a Seax last night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 friends who have been on the show.  One of them does demos at my forge occasionally.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I haven't seen the last few episodes. I've been busy making knives. I started a Seax last night.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sold this one to a member here.

Sheep's foot from a Nicholson rasp

Seax roughed out. Needs cleaning up and I need to decide what to do with the handle.

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of this!

Edit: thanks for the pics!

Is it going to be hollow ground?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

All of this!

Edit: thanks for the pics!

Is it going to be hollow ground?
View Quote
Unfortunately not. I'm only set up for flat grinds. However, a 2x72 geinder is in my near future. Goong to try and sell a few more knives and I'll  be in a better position to jump into something of that cost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:14:40 AM EDT
[#27]
One of my favorite shows.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Unfortunately not. I'm only set up for flat grinds. However, a 2x72 geinder is in my near future. Goong to try and sell a few more knives and I'll  be in a better position to jump into something of that cost.
View Quote
I love my Bader 3, but there are some snazzy grinders out there now that make changing from platen to slack to wheel a lot faster than even on the BM3.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love my Bader 3, but there are some snazzy grinders out there now that make changing from platen to slack to wheel a lot faster than even on the BM3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't decide. I'm looking at Pheer and Northridge. Northridge is getting the nod right now due to versatility. Pheer is getting the nod because of price. I keep telling myself buy once cry once
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Where has Jason Knight been?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Where has Jason Knight been?
View Quote
I think he was just filling in while Jay was out (injured?).
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think he was just filling in while Jay was out (injured?).
View Quote
He's a cool cat!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:02:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Jason is done. 
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Oct 17' show tonight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]
those axe mace things were the first time I remember seeing rust on both entries during the initial close up prior to the testing
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
They just sent ray home first on the champion of champions episode. I thought he was probably the most talented of any contestant I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought I saw them all, somehow they are playing episodes I've never seen.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
They just sent ray home first on the champion of champions episode. I thought he was probably the most talented of any contestant I've seen.
View Quote
Very talented.

But they bitched about his finger grooves the first time around.  Why did he show up with finger grooves on the comp cutter?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I thought I saw them all, somehow they are playing episodes I've never seen.
View Quote
Season isn't over
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Very talented.

But they bitched about his finger grooves the first time around.  Why did he show up with finger grooves on the comp cutter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very talented.

Finger grooves need to be made for each person.   Even then most do not like them.  Not a good idea when multiple users are likely.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Rewatching the Crusader sword episode.  A question I've always had about it--Dave, the skinny finalist w/glasses, appeared to fabricate his sword using only stock removal.  The only time I saw him use the forge was during heat treatment, and the blade appeared too cool when he plunged it.  Pete, the other guy, did a very nice jellyroll Damascus.  I've seen the judges send people home for doing stock removal instead of forging, and riding them about failing to use the forge as intended; should they have disqualified him?  Dave's sword bent during the test against beef bones.  Do you think the forging of Pete's sword made a difference?  Pete won, of course.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I had many of the same thoughts ^^^^
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Rewatching the Crusader sword episode.  A question I've always had about it--Dave, the skinny finalist w/glasses, appeared to fabricate his sword using only stock removal.  The only time I saw him use the forge was during heat treatment, and the blade appeared too cool when he plunged it.  Pete, the other guy, did a very nice jellyroll Damascus.  I've seen the judges send people home for doing stock removal instead of forging, and riding them about failing to use the forge as intended; should they have disqualified him?  Dave's sword bent during the test against beef bones.  Do you think the forging of Pete's sword made a difference?  Pete won, of course.
View Quote
Concur.  However sending someone home during the first round is a lot easier than the finals.  Unless there was a rider in the contract regarding forging.   I have seen several do a lot of torch and grind stuff too.  Especially on the really out there weapons.   It makes for better t.v. if they allow testing.  When the forged blade wins all the better.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]
One of the few shows I miss after cutting the cable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I love that show
My wife even does

Some decent TV
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Potential solution, send them home with enough steel to do the job, but it'll have to be stretched, along with a spare if they blow it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#47]
If you enjoy forged in fire you may like a YouTube show called man at arm's reforged. They build weapons from shows and games. While some of the weapons are pretty silly it is still impressive how they build a fully functional version. The only part I don't like is the "testing" at the end. Pretty cool to watch them build a katana starting from dirt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#48]
I got caught up on the last two episodes today.

The last two were great!  I am happy that someone finally got out of the first round with a seax!(and it was beautiful!)

I was also really impressed by the dude in the last champion of champions show that finished his first round knife and passed in 32 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:37:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Concur.  However sending someone home during the first round is a lot easier than the finals.  Unless there was a rider in the contract regarding forging.   I have seen several do a lot of torch and grind stuff too.  Especially on the really out there weapons.   It makes for better t.v. if they allow testing.  When the forged blade wins all the better.
View Quote
They sent Rachel, the butch broad, packing before testing started, when she admitted to using rice glue and a wooden pin in her handle and the judge found it to be loose.  She did a very poor job.  She should have never made it to the finals, IMO.

ETA: They also showed the episode of the finalists making double ended recurve knives, halabies or something like that, last night.  I forget the contestants' names, but they ended the testing immediately when the younger guy's blades came up--he failed to make recurved blades, per the specified conditions of the competition, and was shut down at once.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#50]
How many of you recognize the center person in this picture?
(clue: 2017 episode 16)
A friend of mine.  Picture taken on Saturday at Gathering at Five Medals.
Attachment Attached File

l to r M.Y.  FIF guy and me in front of my "shop"
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top