Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 5:26:40 PM EDT
Just bought it from a buddy at my Fathers work. 1995 Wrangler, 4.0 Liter inline six. 4inch trailmaster with 33x12.50. The odometer had only 28,000 miles on it.
Plans are to line the tub with a coating of some sort( any suggestions?) Rework the stereo
K&N air intake/ full header and catback exhaust.
And eventually going to change out the auot locking hubs to manual Warn.
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1574424&a=11967963&p=47824682&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool Jeep. Have lots of fun with it!
[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
nice one, I think you need a snorkel kit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
swap in a dana 60 with full floaters in the rear and an air locker..then a mile marker hydro winch up front....opps....we are talking about your jeep!
-rigid
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Niiiiiccceeee!!!!!![beer]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
rigidrotor_rt:
have you had experiance with the hydolic winches? I only recently saw an ad for one. I was wondering how much stress it puts on the system, as the ad says it runs off of existing power steering pump. I was looking a t a Warn winch but i dont think ill drop that much money yet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a suggestion if you are going to wheel it.  Oops silly me why would you buy a wrangler if you were not going to wheel it?  The rear axle is weaker than the front and 33's are about max so you might want to look at the axle upgrade kits available for your rear end. As for the tub liner are you thinking spray on or roll on?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Im not sur ehow hard im gonna wheel it. Nothing serious in this one. I do want to find an older one to beat up and have fun with. I do camp and hunt quite a bit so this will get me anywhere I need to go. I might ned up changeing out the gears from the stock ones to 3.73's. Im not really sure bout spray on or roll on liners. I have seen Rhino linings in a truck bed and loved it but that costs a little bit of money I dont really have. I have been looking at the Dupli-color bed liner and roll it on. So i dont have to watch for overspray. I kinda want to do it myself too, just for the satisfaction of it
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I love the older ones Garandman but i dont think i could have one as a daily driver. i like my AC, specially since it gets over 110 here during the summer. Where can you get a military surplus Jeep though? Thers a couple around town that I see all the time. Would be kinda neat to have one
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't want to thrash it seriously consider puting at least a limited slip in the rear diff.  You will not have to use the more throttle method to get over obstacles.  Instead with the increased traction you will be able to just walk up and over.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ya ill do something to the rear end for traction. I know im not going to do air lockers on this rig as Im not that serious bought wheeling yet. Probably a Detroit locker
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice ride Snorkel.

Hunter out....
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
cool jeeps. here's one that belongs to my friend, machine gun mantle.
[img]http://community.webshots.com/uploads/13194678.jpg.tmp?1254[/img]

that's a semi auto 1919a6 mounted on the top.

colt
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Snorkel Bob, I have used the duplicolor in the back of my friends '73 land cruiser.  It really is not thick enough, more like textured paint.  You can get the rhino linings at Walmart for $100 and I think it is worth the difference.  Since it is inside your jeep and yo are not going to really work it, I don't think you need to spring for the spray in.  IMHO the duplicolor it too thin.  O, and nice ride.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I think SNIPER was talking about Herculiner. I used the Herc on my Jeep and am very happy with it. Some complain that it is hard to clean, as dirt and mud work into the grain, but hey its a Jeep. Just personal preference here, but I wouldn't worry about a header, unless you really need to improve upper end power. I'd just get a good muffler shop that can bend tube without kinking or deforming to fab up new headpipe, intermediate and tailpipe and put on good free flow muffler. I think the hydro winches are OK, but they do require the engine to be running to work, kind of bad if you drown out or have engine failure and need to winch out. The Warn hubs are a good idea, but I think you may require a kit to replace more than just the hubs, I'd check to be sure. Also, look into what can be done with the front axle disconnect, they can be trublesome. These are just some of my ideas, its up to you to go as far as you want.

BMB

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a 94 YJ that looks just like yours. I put Durabak in the tub. The stuff is just like Hurculiner but comes in different colors. They had a green that looked like it would match, from the sample they gave me. After I put it in my Jeep I was shocked to see it was a bright green color, didn't match at all. In hind sight I would probably go with gray to match the interior and go w/ Herculiner, cuz it's cheaper and the same thing as Durabak. Just spend a lot! of time with prep work. I'm very happy with the results, besides the color.
I hope the front bumper isn't a Steel Horse. I bought mine used with one and that bumper has almost rusted off.
You'll love the Jeep, wish I'd bought mine years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to the club!! To the rest of you, You wouldn't understand, it's a JEEP thing.

[img]http://www.milpubs.com/Weps.jpg[/img]

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Can I ask how much did you pay?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Did somebody say ROCK CRAWLER !!! ?????
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Congratulations on your new ride! Always fun to have fresh wheels.

As for linings, though they're expensive, I prefer Rhino lining. I've had two trucks done with it, both have spent a lot of years in the sun and carrying mild loads, and they're holding up great.

I've seen a Line-X job, though, and thought it was pretty good. Both Rhino and Line-X, I like the ability to hose crud out and that they're permanent and even when wet aren't all that slippery. Have fun on the trails. Shred lightly! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The hubs on your jeep stay locked at all times. The differential is always turning in the front. This is why the front axles are always turning. Not very economical but a simple design and rugged. However, There are kits that will change it over to lock out hubs. They are expensive and the whole spindle is replaced.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I saw a review of a milemarker hydrolic winch in Peterson's 4Wheel & Off Road a few years back, and twice they had to flush the steering system in the field, and once they replaced the pump.  Milemarker was quick to make it right and swore up and down that this NEVER happens but it looked pretty bad.  If I'm in the middle of nowhere and my winch fails, that sucks.  But if the winch takes my steering out with it, then I'm seriously pissed.  I personally would rather keep the two apart.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#25]
don't know why the above pic is no longer working. speaking of working, here's one of the jeep and the 1919 "working".
enjoy.
colt
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/UU/jD/li/ft20238.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#26]
First of all get a replacement grill that converts the eyes back to round.

Then an ARB rear locker is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey Garand Shooter,

Do me a favor and drop me a line. I've got a question for you.

[email protected]

Thanks [:)]

Steve
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
don't know why the above pic is no longer working. speaking of working, here's one of the jeep and the 1919 "working".
enjoy.
colt
View Quote

dude i want to build one just like that, the sliding doors are a nice touch whare do you get them. just email me details and plans and suppliers, for the custom stuff. the base vehicle looks like a pre 84 jeep (?wrangler?)

[email protected]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think SNIPER was talking about Herculiner.
BMB

View Quote

BMB, thanks for the correction.  I guess I just had rhino linings on the brain.  You are right I did mean to say Herculiner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice Jeep Bob........Looks great.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Can I ask how much did you pay?
View Quote

I got it for 13,500

Another thing I notice bout Jeep people is that they always wave to one another. I would never have thought that a group of people would be that cool jst because of their vehicles. But hey:
It's a Jeep thing!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey Snorkel Bob, lots of motorcycle riders also wave to other riders on the street. Of course, if the other guy's riding a Harley, chances are he won't wave unless you are too. Kind of snobbish of them if you ask me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Snorkel Bob-
There's no problems with stress when running a Hyd winch off your P/S pump.  You can add a cooler (like a xmsn cooler, only for P/S) if you start getting a heat build-up problem.  Their big advantage is they are very strong, and very light compared to an electric (no electric motor).  The big disadvantage is you need to have the engine running for it to work.  If you're crossing a stream and your engine dies, you can't winch yourself out to the other side.  You can do that with an electiric as long as you had waterproofed it right (of course if you waterproofed the engine right it woudln't have died in the stream[:D])  

I don't think hydraulics are cheap.  It's been forever that I looked at one, and I can't remember the price.  For nearly all aplications, a good electric will work fine, and be the most cost effective.  

My 4x4 doesn't have power sterring, so it's not an option for me.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#34]
man nice rig,i have a 77 cj5.people are going to tell you this and that and you have to have this.let me tell you a stock jeep is an awsum off road beast.the single best thing you can do is get some 31 to 33 inch agressive mud tires.that will make one big difference.eventually you can get detroit lockers for the axles etc...limited slip is a waste .lock em up if you feel the need.i think you be satisfied with what you have .and the sqare headlites are just fine.all cj,yjs and tj are real jeeps.i used the dupli color in my rig.it has held up very well.no need for carpets.a good website is jeepwire.com or jeepaholics anonamous.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#35]
man nice rig,i have a 77 cj5.people are going to tell you this and that and you have to have this.let me tell you a stock jeep is an awsum off road beast.the single best thing you can do is get some 31 to 33 inch agressive mud tires.that will make one big difference.eventually you can get detroit lockers for the axles etc...limited slip is a waste .lock em up if you feel the need.i think you be satisfied with what you have .and the sqare headlites are just fine.all cj,yjs and tj are real jeeps.i used the dupli color in my rig.it has held up very well.no need for carpets.a good website is jeepwire.com or jeepaholics anonamous.p.s. hydrloic winches ..forget it get you a warn or super winch if you feel the need.
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#36]
If someone would be so kind as to tell me how to add a pic to this reply, I'd love to throw in a shot of my '93 wrangler.  I was also thinking about coating the tub in rhino-lining or some equivalent... if you do it please post how it turned out, and what you decided to go with. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd stay away from ANY Winch that requires your engine to be running to work!!!
If you hit a large water hole and can't start your engine, there you sit.  With electric winches, you can still use it, even totally submerged, with engine OFF!!!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
enjoy.
colt
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/UU/jD/li/ft20238.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey Colt, is that what they call going postal[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/8/2001 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#39]
RYANG, others,
Here's the floor in my CJ after using Herculiner. Took out seats, roll bar, and belts. Taped off areas not to be coated. Sanded with 80 grit on orbital sander and then shop vac out. Wipe down with xylene and let dry. Put on one coat wait instructed time then add second coat. The next morning added a third coat and took off tape. Cost about $120 with Herc kit, xylene, paint pan, extra brush, and tape. Local dealer quote $600.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=642914&a=4688528&p=48154292&f=0[/img]

BMB  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top