Originally Posted By garden weasel:
everything must be said twice when
dealing with women.
This post is a perfect example.
View Quote

Pithy!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No steyrgirl, sorry, but I would not want you, or any other woman in my unit. And not because you can't pull your own wight, although most women can't. But the guys I served with tended to be a macho group, and would get themselves killed to pull any woman out of a bad situation.
I have read a few posts that say this is not a factor......BS what friggen Army did you serve in, it is a heck of a factor.  As an Infantry PLT SGT there are things I would not stand for, and needlessy risking your life is one of them.

Rew
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No steyrgirl, sorry, but I would not want you, or any other woman in my unit. And not because you can't pull your own wight, although most women can't. But the guys I served with tended to be a macho group, and would get themselves killed to pull any woman out of a bad situation.
I have read a few posts that say this is not a factor......BS what friggen Army did you serve in, it is a heck of a factor.  As an Infantry PLT SGT there are things I would not stand for, and needlessy risking your life is one of them.

Rew
View Quote

as i noted earlier, this is one perspective i had not considered but do understand.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this is further proof that you are not really considering any opinions other than your own. and yes it is difficult to make sense of you as a result.

View Quote

You see - this here is what is wrong with America. And I don't blame you for it steyrgirl - you were PROGRAMMED to think this way. Likely by public school liberals.

Your statement assumes that the paragon of virtue nowadays is to be "open minded," and that to hold to core beliefs that you know to be true is the essence of evil.

Its been my experience that most "open minded people have long ago had all the good stuff fall out of their "open" mind.

And "closed mindedness" doesn't mean that you don't consider other peoples opinions. it just means that when those opinions fail the test of your core beliefs, you aren't required to adopt their opinions. (and PLEASE don't try to say that I think you don't have core beliefs. PLEAAAASE????)

Political correctness nowadays says that in order to be TRULY openminded, you need to consider everyone else opinion to be JUST AS GOOD as yours. Oh well - guess I'll never be politically correct.

I considered your opinion, and didn't agree.

Tell ya what - next war we have, if the Army brass won't let you fight, sneak on to the battle field, and go running willy nilly at the enemy. If I'm there, I'll provide you cover fire, and wish you the best.

War is hell. And while the Liberals would consider me a Conservative Hawk, I guess I just don't understand why a woman would want to subject herself to the indignities of it all. it ain't like the movies ya know.

The only reason I can think of is this - that the womens libbers have told you young girls that the ONLY way you can have any significance is to do EVERYTHING that a man does, and to try to show him up at it. Quite a bill of goods that they've sold you.

heck, steyrgirl, you can HAVE my battleline position at teh next war. Odds are it'll be for some UN FUBAR mission anyway. Short of betraying my country, I'd do ANYTHING I could to avoid the hell that is war.

Strange that some people are just dying to get killed by it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
well anyhow, my guy gets home tonight so i am going to get in the kitchen where some of you probably feel i belong and make something nice for him.

i really did enjoy the last couple of days, you guys are pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My answer would be no.  For some of the reasons stated previously but one more important one:
The people of the US will not stand to see pictures of dead moms/wives/sisters/daugthers.  Look what happenned during Vietnam.  Support for the war was lost because America could not watch the dead (men) come home.  Imagine half of them being females.  Our emenies will know that CNN would love to show pictures of dead female soldiers and the support for the war will be gone.  What a great way to win a PR war?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
GO FOR IT!
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But the guys I served with tended to be a macho group, and would get themselves killed to pull any woman out of a bad situation.
View Quote

Thats right and men would not get themselves killed to pull a man out of a bad situation.

Ever read (We were soldiers once and young)? Good read about the Ia Drang valley.

Might want to skip the chapter about the lost patrol though since it blows your theory out of the elephant grass.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
this is further proof that you are not really considering any opinions other than your own. and yes it is difficult to make sense of you as a result.

View Quote

You see - this here is what is wrong with America. And I don't blame you for it steyrgirl - you were PROGRAMMED to think this way. Likely by public school liberals.

Your statement assumes that the paragon of virtue nowadays is to be "open minded," and that to hold to core beliefs that you know to be true is the essence of evil.

Its been my experience that most "open minded people have long ago had all the good stuff fall out of their "open" mind.

And "closed mindedness" doesn't mean that you don't consider other peoples opinions. it just means that when those opinions fail the test of your core beliefs, you aren't required to adopt their opinions. (and PLEASE don't try to say that I think you don't have core beliefs. PLEAAAASE????)

Political correctness nowadays says that in order to be TRULY openminded, you need to consider everyone else opinion to be JUST AS GOOD as yours. Oh well - guess I'll never be politically correct.

I considered your opinion, and didn't agree.

Tell ya what - next war we have, if the Army brass won't let you fight, sneak on to the battle field, and go running willy nilly at the enemy. If I'm there, I'll provide you cover fire, and wish you the best.

War is hell. And while the Liberals would consider me a Conservative Hawk, I guess I just don't understand why a woman would want to subject herself to the indignities of it all. it ain't like the movies ya know.

The only reason I can think of is this - that the womens libbers have told you young girls that the ONLY way you can have any significance is to do EVERYTHING that a man does, and to try to show him up at it. Quite a bill of goods that they've sold you.

heck, steyrgirl, you can HAVE my battleline position at teh next war. Odds are it'll be for some UN FUBAR mission anyway. Short of betraying my country, I'd do ANYTHING I could to avoid the hell that is war.

View Quote

and i had just called it a night.

first, if i thought like you, i would not have learned anything from this debate and i did. but let me share some of my core beliefs.

1. think your own thoughts - i didn't get mine from public school, liberals, the bible or anyplace else. mine are from experience and my personal sense of right and wrong.

2. poliitical correctness is for people who are afraid of their own thoughts.

3. feminists are usually the problem, like racists and religionists they only care about advancing doctrine.

i really gotta fall back on my belief that you are motivated by "other" factors, probably religion and therefore cannot accept anything that is contrary to that religion. if i am right, you cannot even see me as a separate being because i was made from mans rib.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i really gotta fall back on my belief that you are motivated by "other" factors, probably religion and therefore cannot accept anything that is contrary to that religion. if i am right, you cannot even see me as a separate being because i was made from mans rib.
View Quote

(heavy sigh)

Your statement here is SOOOO stereotypical, it calls into question, IMO, your statements that you think for yourself.

It sounds EXACTLY like what the media and the Liberals TELL women to think about old school Conservative males. Its right out of their playbook.

Personally, I consider the female the SUPERIOR of the species. Man are brutal, egotistical, savage warriors - and necessarily so. Remember, it wasn't a chick that discovered the New World.

Futher, in many regards and in a whole host of arenas, women can do a superior job than men can. In my profession, accounting, I actually fond MOST women to be better at it than men. And I haven't even addressed the child rearing and care giving (to ALL ages of people)  abilities of the female persona yet. Most men SUCK at that stuff, and someone has to do it.

So, you see, you fell right into the "old school Conservative male" stereotype that you were taught to beleive. By whom, I don't know, but you beleived them just the same.

IMO, You bought into another stereotype as well - the "Bible-beleiving people are idiots, incapable of free thought" stereotype. I can't name a dozen people who beleive what I beleive on religious issues. This stereotype is another one perpetuated by Liberals and the media as well. Right out of their playbook. I see you "running their palys" and I know where you got your biases from.

You are right about one thing - I am controlled by my Bible-based beliefs. I've seen the Bible proved right TOO MANY times to NOT use it as my rule of faith and life.

The only difference is you THINK you are capable of free thought, unfettered by preconceptions and stereotypes. You aren't. NONE of us are.

Some of us like me admit it. Some of us don't.

Would enjoy picking this up tomorry. Have a wonderful night, and don't tell SteryAug on me.

[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#12]
ya know, my father, who taught me most of my beliefs is going to be really pissed that you think i'm some kind of f*cking liberal because he is a pretty stereo typical male.

i just pointed out that you are conforming to a religion. i did not say you were right or wrong for it. i just suspected it due to your patterns of thought.

and i do in the end, always decide for myself. that is how i found my fiance, my interest in firarms and my general disdain for democrats. this is in spite of the fact that most people told me to think otherwise. having said that i'm not sure we have anything else to talk about on this subject.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, okay... I [i]have[/i] to jump in here.  I am a woman and I was in the military.  The Navy to be more specific and, in fact, I was the 11th female reintroduced to the Firecontrol rate and the first FC aboard the USS Eisenhower and in the FC shop at SIMA, Norfolk.  I feel I may be qualified to comment on this topic.[:D]

For anyone who is not familiar with the rate, Firecontrolmen work on gun and missile systems.  During training, our instructors asked us on a regular basis if we could kill for our country and that if there was any doubt as to whether we would hit the button or not that we needed to pack our butt out of there.  I asked myself that question, answered it and, well, I finished my training...

Can some women pass physical standards set for men?  Yes, some can.  Can women withstand as much pain as men?  It's a scientific fact that a woman's pain threshold is HIGHER than a man's.  And as for engaging the enemy?  I used to back up my friends in fights whenever necessary... it was a shock to my ex that the last time I fought it was actually with another female.  ::grin::

I don't think this is a "in a perfect world, all things equal" question.  My experience led me to believe it is a morale issue more than anything else.  You cannot put men and women together and think that their biological nature won't rear it's head and totally screw up the chain of command and piss off the crew.  

Because of the actions of some women, it was assumed that I was there to screw men, get pregnant and play the sexual harrassment card to get what I wanted.  I was given crap by men who didn't want me there, men who wanted to screw me, wives who thought I wanted to screw their husbands and other shipmates who thought I was looking at "their man."  The only thing that made it better was time.. time to prove that I was there to do my job; no more, no less.  

But I can tell you this, [i]it was always an issue and it always will be.[/i]  

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#14]
This is an intresting question.  I have never been in the service or the military so some of my views could be off.

In a hand to hand war I don't think I would want a human next to me, or at least someone who thinks like one.  I would rather an animal.  I would hope that the person next me could be vicous enough to win the war.  I don't think an indivual can come home with any sort of humanity after a bloody war.  Your buddy next to you just vaporized, that has leave some impact.  That village with people was/were burned to the ground.  That has to diminish the humanity that one posses.  Very screwed up things seem to come out of wars, and unfortunately they seem to be a very necessary evil.

How does this concern women.  As a sterotype, that has been tossed around, women seem to have 20% less muscle than a man.  I have also heard it mentioned, not in this forum, that women make up the morality of society.  If women make up the morality of society what eliminating their humanity do?  I know several people that saw a little to much action in Vietnam and WWII.  I feel very bad for them, as even today they have issues that they are working out.  I commend them at the same time, as they were able to do something that I'm sure they had no desire to do.  I just don't think that sending both genders off to war is good idea, if you have a choice.  

I didn't answer the real question though.  In a truly f***ed up situation where they are running down the street would it bother me having a women next to me?  I don't think I would really notice.  At that point its all about saving you family and friends and your home, who cares whos next to you.  You're all their for the same reason.  More than likely the person next to you has no training.  If they were knocking down the door, I would fight and I have no training.  

Take these words from the keyboard of an indivual who has never served.

Anthony  
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

War is glorious to those with no experience of it.
Thats a fact, jack, and you can take that to the rib shack and get a doggie bacg for a midnite snack,Jack.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't give a shit what gender, creed, race, or species you are. As long as you pull your own weight. You have to be able to kill someone if you need to without remorse. Ask yourself, can you hold a gun to someones face, look them in the eye and fire. Watch the light go out. See the brain spatter and smell the blood oozing out of his head. Be able to inflict the worse possible hurtin on someone with blinking an eyelash. Be able to interrogate someone and stick pins in their eyes and watch them bleed. Hear his pleas. Hear how he has a wife and a newborn he is dying to see. Funny cause he will die if he doesn't tell me what I want to hear. Will you be able to break their leg in places and have bones stick out, only to stick you fingers in their wounds to make them hurt again. Be able to walk through a battle field with the stench of death and decay and still eat your MRE af if you are in a fine restaurant. Can you supress your emotions? Be able to go days without bathing and have shit crust in your pants cause you ran out of toilet paper. Be able to carry your fellow troop to safety while holding his warm bloody guts in with your palm. Cause that my dear lady is the true meaning of war. If you can do this, I will fight by your side no ifs, ands, or buts.

I have asked myself if I can do this before I entered the military. My answer was yes.

A higher percentage of men, I think, are better at suppressing morals and emotions than women. Men are better at closing themselves in to be able to handle the horrors of a battlefield situation. A per the law of nature female species are for nurturing, and protecting their young. Male species are for hunting and defending ones territory. It the law of nature. Female specie gives birth and is able to sustain that baby through lactating. Male species protect and kill if need be.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Look, in our politically correct age, some people cannot admit that people are different.  Whites are different than black, and women are different than men.  

A woman is inherently (for the most part...I'm talking 99% of the time) weaker and smaller than a normal man.  I am not trying to offend anyone, but that is just how it is.  

If we let women in our front lines when we are at war with a China, or similar country, where women are lowly and useless, the US would lose.  Unless all countries agree to have women in their armies, then it would just be suicide.

For these above reasons, and others explained by the other members, I say it is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#19]
LT- Pretty vivid image, who yanked your chain today?[;)][:)] see the two smilies?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LT- Pretty vivid image, who yanked your chain today?[;)][:)] see the two smilies?
View Quote

Yeah I guess I should go rent a Disney movie tonite. Sound of Music maybe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I guess I should go rent a Disney movie tonite. Sound of Music maybe.
View Quote

Is Jenna Jamison in The Sound Of Music?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every country has their own culture...and where the female fits in. In Alaska, I hear if the first born eskimo baby is a girl,it was terminated.
View Quote

Hahahahahaha uh that would be Murder in the First Degree (Unclassified Felony) AS 11.41.100(a)

Your information on Alaska is wrong.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every country has their own culture...and where the female fits in. In Alaska, I hear if the first born eskimo baby is a girl,it was terminated.
View Quote

Hahahahahaha uh that would be Murder in the First Degree (Unclassified Felony) AS 11.41.100(a)

Your information on Alaska is wrong.

Hunter out...
View Quote

just because its a crime doesn't mean id doesn't happen..

on the origional topic: it is basic male instinct, to protect the other sex. this imo would be a seriouse preocupation to the males, when the time came for real combat, logic would dictate that the males would be toobusy thinking about protecting the females to successfully fight the enemy. it could be detrimental to the unit, and the war effort.

just my .02
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#24]
OK here's the flip side of my lil war scenario.

If I as an officer and in charge of a platoon, captured a squad with a female in it. It would be hell for that squad. First of all, not many armies follow the Geneva Convention. Do you think Iraq, Russia or China will follow the Geneva Conventions rules on the treatment of prisoners.

So back to my lil scenario. We catch a squad believed to be spying on our camp. We would try to extract intelligence via sleep depravation. Then physical torture: like 4in. screw through your forearm and turning it with every question till it all the way through you arm. Then it pulling the finger nails one by one. Then its breaking limbs. Pouring salt rocks on open wounds. Sewing eyelids shut. If that doesn't not work the female would then be taken in the middle of a clearing and have her squad rape her. Those that do not participate will be shot. This will truly demoralize and enrage them to the point of not being able to rationalize the situation, therefore no threat of organization and escape. Believe me there are those that would rather do someone elses bidding than die. Those that remain alive will watch as other troops rape the female. MOre demoralization. She might die or not. If not we start over. Sleep depravation again. Maybe some splints on broken bones. Cause once they heal, they hurt more when you break em a second time. Especially if they are only half way healed. That and a festering gangreened wound when poked and proded with a dental pick hurts like a mother(from what I hear).

Now who wants to volunteer for service.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

just because its a crime doesn't mean id doesn't happen..
View Quote

Just because it happened before Alaska was even a territory doesn't mean it still happens. Don't try to make it out to be a modern occurrence, it is NOT.

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I might as well throw my two cents it:

While I don't mind women (as long as they can pull their weight) in the militay in general, I have to say that I agree cannot agree with allowing women into combat.  While I have no problem with Miss Magnum serving as a fire control tech onboard a ship, she is far enough away not to have to worry about someone shooting back (unless they pull up in a small boat and blow it up) and she also doesn't have to witness firsthand the hell unleased by the weapon fired.  And yes, one of the female chopper pilots in the gulf war did get raped, and it did demoralize the unit.  Here is some arguement against non-combat roles, but like I said, I think that they can be in if they want to.  One hospital ship deployed to the gulf during Desert Storm had 50 women, 49 came back pregnant.  Did I mention that some of them had boyfriends and husbands back home, and they were not the fathers.  An old top kick that I talked to told me that his company (I think he was logistics) had 6 women, and within 72 hours of the announcement of deployment, all 6 were pregnent.  Had to find replacements for all of them.  

Girls, this is not meant to be mean or anything, I'm just saying what I have seen and heard, and how it shaped my opinion.  And yes, I have female friend who either are in, or will be in the military.  They respect my opinion, and I respect theirs, even if we don't agree.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Well in Vietnam, there were 58,800 servicemen killed and 8 servicewomen.  I say it's time they were up front, paying the same price.

[red][size=4] P.R.K.

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ok a qualifier. they must meet the same minimum standards as men. then is it ok?

i agree that if you can't handle the hose you ain't gonna put out the fire.
View Quote

As long as the standards stay the same. Too often I see the standards lowered to make them more "fair"

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Okay, let's review:

Steyrgirl SHOULD be allowed to be in combat because:

1. She wants to. And what people WANT is the most important thing.

2. She can kick the butt of a few of the weeniest soldiers out there. "Soldiers" that can fit into a CLinton military. Remember, Clinton dispises the military.

On the other hand -

Steyrgirl SHOULD [b]NOT [/b]be allowed to be in combat because:

1. Physical ability of the average woman is lesser than a man's, thereby putting the other soldiers in greater danger. Witness: Can steyrgirl carry me, 6'4" and 255 lbs, NOT including gear, to safety?? I dare say ALL male GI's but the GI's steyrgirl has beat up, could.

2. The innate desire of the male to protect the female, increasing the likelihood of a male soldier doing something stupid to save a female recruit in battle.

3. The sexual dymanic between men and women WILL produce "battlefield babies."

4. ALL the top military brass (except for the politically correct Clinton boot lickers) DON'T want them their.

5. A LARGE percentage of the current male soldiers DON'T want them their, creating a divisive force within ranks.

6. The damage to morale of male soldiers that would see female soldiers raped and tortured by the enemy.

7. The propaganda tool of raping and torturing women soldiers, and how this WOULD be used to shape the American peoples AGAINST the war effort. Witness: Viet Nam

8. The IMPORTANT role that women WOULD play on the homefront, providing military supplies. Witness: WW II. Viet Nam DOES NOT apply here - that wasn't a full scale war. I don't believe a SINGLE battleship was lost during the entire Viet Nam police action.

9. As witnesed in teh Gulf War (I saw it on TV myself) , males necessarily will help the females shoulder their part of the work. That means a single soldier is now diverted from HIS responsibilities. Witness what DISTRACTION (of ANY kind)  can do: the recent sub that slammed into a Japanese fishing vessel.

10 Geeez!!! need I go on????

So, steyrgirl - [size=6] WHO [/size=6] is being closed minded????

Lastly, your use of expletives indicated to me that you take offense at my admittedly SHARP words to you. Will you do the same to your drill instructor?? Cuss HIM out??? How will you react to an enemy soldier charging at you bayonet extended??? Hurt feelings get people killed on the battlefield.

I'm sure you are a fine person, a faithful taxpayer, perhaps even a Mother Theresa in teh making. What you AREN'T is equipped for battle. That has NOTHING to do with your charachter, patriotism, courage, strength of mind, or resolve. It has EVERYTHING to do with your BIOLOGY.

I've said everything I can on this issue. I'll let you respond if you wish, and I'll leave it alone.

Have a nice life. Hope to see you at some highpower match sometime, and hope you don't embarrass me with your score. [:D]

Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:31:52 AM EDT
[#32]
A lot of good points made here, both pro and con.  Now while I don't consider myself to be sexist, I am old fashioned in some respects.  I personally don't believe that most women could handle the training alone of a high-speed unit.  That being said, women DO NOT belong in combat, period.  Most of the reasons have already been stated.  BTW, I don't consider being on a ship 100 miles off the coast, pushing buttons, direct combat.  Combat is staring your enemy in the face and pulling the trigger, or if need be, bashing his skull in with the butt of your weapon.  It is taking artillery fire and maintaining a cool head.  Ask a combat Vet if you know one, (BTW, you're getting that opinion right now) and HE will most likely tell you that a woman simply is not up to the task for dozens of reasons, both physical and emotional/mental.

Bill Schram
CIB
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, there is a difference between a being stationed on a ship and being a grunt in the field... my point is that, even removing the most taxing elements of directly engaging the enemy on the ground, there are problems with men and women serving in the military together.  

I am agreeing with y'all and it is from someone who's been there... a perspective that most of you don't have.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Yes, there is a difference between a being stationed on a ship and being a grunt in the field... my point is that, even removing the most taxing elements of directly engaging the enemy on the ground, there are problems with men and women serving in the military together.  

I am agreeing with y'all and it is from someone who's been there... a perspective that most of you don't have.
View Quote

Miss Magnum -

I seriously question if women should be in the military AT ALL.

The ONLY exception I can see is an all female company / force / whatever that has NO contact with male recruits, and does NOT expose them to the stress of battle, even in a support role.

I know that makes me a chauvinistic dinosaur, but I 'yam what I 'yam.  [:D]

My opinions aside, thank you for serving your country in the military. It is an honorable thing you did. I wish I had.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#35]
There have been all women units in history.  The Russians had them in WWII.  They got slaughtered by the Germans.  They might do ok in solo or small team missions.  Sniping is actually one activity they may do very well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:05:07 AM EDT
[#36]
garandman,

I'm actually trying to help you out on this one but you are insisting on showing your a$$... ::shaking head::

When you take the stance that you are being chavunistic it implies that you are, in some way, trying to be chivalrous.. that men should be protecting women and that is why we shouldn't be there.  

I am saying that it is the male-female interaction (meaning BOTH parties acting like horny idiots) that causes problems.  

Heck..maybe we are on the same page... but your presentation really makes you sound like a jerk.  ::shrug::
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
garandman,

I'm actually trying to help you out on this one but you are insisting on showing your a$$... ::shaking head::

When you take the stance that you are being chavunistic it implies that you are, in some way, trying to be chivalrous.. but your presentation really makes you sound like a jerk.  ::shrug::
View Quote

Miss Magnum -

As steyrgirl so adeptly pointed out, I hold to some core beliefs that are NOT open for discussion.

And I will apologize to you if my presentation is offensive. It is NOT intentionally so, or intentionally "chauvinistic."

It was just an acknowledgment that it would APPEAR chauvinistic to some. I had hoped, by making that acknowledgment, to avoid the whole "chuavinism" discussion, but apparently I failed miserably.

And YES, I do beleive that men should protect women, and am married to a fine, strong, intelligent, capable woman that believes the same.

I guess the reason that I type harshly is that I am frustrated by gun owners who are IMO conservatives when it comes to guns, but Liberals when it comes to just about everything else - womens lib, abortion, taxes, etc etc. TO me, IMO, the way i view the world, in my narrow, chauvinistic, bull headed, male -dominant mind (is that enuf disclaimers???) the two positions are logically inconsistent. And Liberal views in these peripheral issues will eventually lead, if not THIS generation, then in the next, to an general erosion of my Second Amendment rights. IMO. AS I se it.

heck, woman, I put my opinions aside, and thanked you for serving your country honorably. I don't know HOW I could be any more kind and conciliatory to you. It just seems that CERTAIN PEOPLE are hostile to a Biblically based / old school Conservative opinion NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

Accordingly, I've learned to STOP twisting myself in a pretzel to accomodate such people.

DISCLAIMER: this post NOT intended to lump you, Miss Magnum, into any of the above mentioned groups. it is intended as a general staement of belief, without accusatory intentions toward any person, real or imagined.

You can see how ridiculous this gets.

Sheesh.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I guess the reason that I type harshly is that I am frustrated by gun owners who are IMO conservatives when it comes to guns, but Liberals when it comes to just about everything else - womens lib, abortion, taxes, etc etc. TO me, IMO, the way i view the world, in my narrow, chauvinistic, bull headed, male -dominant mind (is that enuf disclaimers???) the two positions are logically inconsistent. And Liberal views in these peripheral issues will eventually lead, if not THIS generation, then in the next, to an general erosion of my Second Amendment rights. IMO. AS I se it.
View Quote

You say the two positions are logically inconsistent.  Why is it illogical to approach each subject individually instead of with a checklist as to which way a person should sway to fit into your idea of a conservative?  I am pro-gun, because I believe that is a choice we should have.  I am also pro-choice for the same reason... I would not presume to make that decision for anyone else.  At the same time, I want to see greater tax-relief for all.      

It just seems that CERTAIN PEOPLE are hostile to a Biblically based / old school Conservative opinion NO MATTER WHAT I DO.
View Quote

I [i]am[/i] a Christian. The problem people may have with you may have less to do with you being a conservative or a religious man.. of which there are many on this site.  Again, I would like to suggest your presentation...

Accordingly, I've learned to STOP twisting myself in a pretzel to accomodate such people.
View Quote

Understood.. no one is asking you to change.  But if you "type harshly" as you've already admitted to, then expect to be called on it.  

And as for your "disclaimers"... reminds me of when guys in the gun shop would tell me, "I really don't want you here... no offense."  Comments like that are bullsh*t.  They are intended to offend, it's just that the "disclaimer" at the end makes the guy feel better about himself.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Mindhunter, Well no chief, I have not read the book. Who is the Author? Men will take unnessary risks for other men but are much more likley to do so for a woman. And Partner that is not a theroy, I saw it in Safwon. I chewed that guy up one side and down the other, but am not really sure if he had not moved before I did that I would not have done the same thing. He ran through a minefield to get a child, a little girl although I don't think it would have mattered if it had been a little boy. He was the only Medic we had with the Plt. So can you see my concern? What he did was brave, and in a normal situation the right thing to do, in this situation, it may have left an entire infantry Plt without Medical support.

Rew
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#41]
For Steyrgirl and all you other Gung Ho virtual reality warriors. You know that its awful easy to sit back in your chair, feeding your face, sucking down a soda, in your nice dry, warm home, in front of your computer, and typing this shit up how you would be right up front with the men fighting in combat for this country.

As for this Red Dawn movie shit example you gave us, were talking reality here, not this hollywood screenwriters bullshit. When the war happens here, and it will happen, your not going to be sitting in front of the T.V. watching friends, and having a pizza party anymore. And it is not going to matter if you are a man, woman, child, fat, skinny, black, white, yellow, handicapped, homosexual, liberal or conservative. War and combat has no prejudices or respect to the miracle of life. Especially when its in your own country. And believe me, the war that happens on U.S. soil will be a war like no other veteran or soldier has ever experienced. We are not going to be fighting 2 or 3 countries. It will be a few developed, advanced nations allianced with a few combat experienced nations and supported by a number of other nations. It is not going to be your typical picnic. We all know that it is not going to be a 100% conventional war either.
It is going to be the most macabre war ever imagined. Those that survive the nukes will then find out really fast who talks shit and who doesn't. Everyone in this country will then wish that they had a gun in their hands. But at least we will all be in the same boat together. And no one will have any damn excuses.

And as for being in combat in another country. Believe me, you can not in your wildest imagination even begin to imagine the experience and feeling of being in someone elses country killing people you do not know or seeing your own comrades dropping all around you. When you have an empty weapon in your hand or no weapon at all and have to kill someone with your bare hands you are then going to wish you are a man. You do not want to be hit by a man who has his adrenalin flowing 150% and trying to keep his self from being killed.

I have seen the most physically fit, strongest, and highly trained in self defense woman cops get brutally put down in a matter of seconds on duty by a male criminal. These women suffered very serious near death injuries. And every one of them had enough brains in their heads and valued their lives enough to quit the force.
It is something I have personally witnessed and will never forget as long as I live. Combat is no place for women and homosexuals. I believe everyone else has pretty well covered the other reasons why this is not a compatible mix.

As far as I am concerned, no one has any right to talk shit about something they have never personally experienced. If someone is discussing a topic that I know nothing about or have never experienced, I keep my mouth shut. Especially the topic of being in combat. Show some respect for our veterans and soldiers. You have to earn that right and at the same time it is something you wish that you never had to experience because you will never be the same.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Okay, let's review:

Steyrgirl SHOULD be allowed to be in combat because:

1. She wants to. And what people WANT is the most important thing.

2. She can kick the butt of a few of the weeniest soldiers out there. "Soldiers" that can fit into a CLinton military. Remember, Clinton dispises the military.

On the other hand -

Steyrgirl SHOULD [b]NOT [/b]be allowed to be in combat because:

1. Physical ability of the average woman is lesser than a man's, thereby putting the other soldiers in greater danger. Witness: Can steyrgirl carry me, 6'4" and 255 lbs, NOT including gear, to safety?? I dare say ALL male GI's but the GI's steyrgirl has beat up, could

2. The innate desire of the male to protect the female, increasing the likelihood of a male soldier doing something stupid to save a female recruit in battle.

3. The sexual dymanic between men and women WILL produce "battlefield babies."

4. ALL the top military brass (except for the politically correct Clinton boot lickers) DON'T want them their.

5. A LARGE percentage of the current male soldiers DON'T want them their, creating a divisive force within ranks.

6. The damage to morale of male soldiers that would see female soldiers raped and tortured by the enemy.

7. The propaganda tool of raping and torturing women soldiers, and how this WOULD be used to shape the American peoples AGAINST the war effort. Witness: Viet Nam

8. The IMPORTANT role that women WOULD play on the homefront, providing military supplies. Witness: WW II. Viet Nam DOES NOT apply here - that wasn't a full scale war. I don't believe a SINGLE battleship was lost during the entire Viet Nam police action.

9. As witnesed in teh Gulf War (I saw it on TV myself) , males necessarily will help the females shoulder their part of the work. That means a single soldier is now diverted from HIS responsibilities. Witness what DISTRACTION (of ANY kind)  can do: the recent sub that slammed into a Japanese fishing vessel.

10 Geeez!!! need I go on????

So, steyrgirl - [size=6] WHO [/size=6] is being closed minded????

Lastly, your use of expletives indicated to me that you take offense at my admittedly SHARP words to you. Will you do the same to your drill instructor?? Cuss HIM out??? How will you react to an enemy soldier charging at you bayonet extended??? Hurt feelings get people killed on the battlefield.

I'm sure you are a fine person, a faithful taxpayer, perhaps even a Mother Theresa in teh making. What you AREN'T is equipped for battle. That has NOTHING to do with your charachter, patriotism, courage, strength of mind, or resolve. It has EVERYTHING to do with your BIOLOGY.

I've said everything I can on this issue. I'll let you respond if you wish, and I'll leave it alone.

Have a nice life. Hope to see you at some highpower match sometime, and hope you don't embarrass me with your score. [:D]

View Quote

i take offense at YOU telling me how to think. a drill instructor would be a different situation. are you just being an ass to see if i'll break down and cry and ask you to stop?

everyone else is just expressing their opinions and that is what i asked for. if you are seeing if i will get hurt feelings you got a long way to go and i will get to you before you get to me.

and yes, when people suppose to decide for me i do take exception. can i decide for you?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I believe that women should ONLY be in combat when the enemy has invaded our country and our military is defeated. in other words: women should be in the "militia" but should be barred from the military.

But since a "Red Dawn" scenario is never going to happen in our lifetimes. the above opinion is moot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think that women should be in combat for a number of reasons.  
 1. sanitary problems
 2. different mental abilities
 3. different physical abilities
 4. separating those who can from those who can't would be more of a hassel than it is worth.
 I have no doubt that there are some women who can handle combat.  I also have no doubt that there are many many many who can't.  If you say that women can be in the military than at the vary least they should have to be able to compete whith the men at the same level.  
 My suggestion.  Fight for your country at home.  If you can handle combat then you would be a great asset on your native soil when SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Oh yeah, I would fight - granted I could sneak past my husband who will no doubtedly be making sure I am hidden away safe and sound from all those scarry bullets. [BD]

Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I say no to women in combat. Why? Because you'd have to consider it on a case-by-case basis, which doesn't - CAN'T - work in the military.

Case in point: Myself (this will be long, so please bear with me. It IS germane.) I spent 12 1/2 years in the army as a 13M (MLRS crewmember.) From maybe 1992 on, I was on and off the overweight program what seemed continuously to me - doing PT in the morning AND the afternoon, along with running another 20-30 miles per week on my own. When I busted tape, I'd just work my ass off even harder to get below my allowed body fat %, but what that invariably meant is I'd mess up my knees badly enough that I'd have to go on no-running or run-at-own-pace profile for a month afterwards to heal up. 6 months or a year later, I'd bust tape again - maybe it was too much beer or too much pizza, I don't know. So the cycle would start over again. In 1996 I went on the program again and this time wasn't losing the weight/body fat % that I was required to (3-8lbs/month.) My chapter paperwork was started, but the 75th FA Bde CSM had me rehab transferred to another battalion in the brigade (6/27 FA.) I had really become discouraged with my lack of progress and had wanted to get out, but put everything I had into my job just as I had always done. I mean, there I was in what I hought was the best battery in THE MLRS unit to be in - EVERYONE in MLRS knew of 6/27's reputation, so how can you NOT do your best while in that unit? Maybe a year later, I was on the weight control program again, and again, due to knee/foot problems, was unable to lose the required weight. My battery commander said that he wished he could keep me around, since he thought I was a great NCO, knew my job better than most (at the time I was an E5 launcher chief - which is an E6 position by TO&E - and we had E6 section chiefs in ammo platoon when by rights one of them should have had my launcher), knew that I always scored 250 or higher on my PT test, and said that he'd personally seen me carry a ruck that had to be twice as heavy as anyone else's and carry it farther. BUT, he couldn't make exceptions to the regulations regardless of my other qualifications - AR 600-9 said that if you were fat you had to lose the weight or get kicked out, period.  And the army - which still knows what's best for the army - says that if you want to be an infantryman, tanker, or artilleryman you have to be male, period. I'm sure that there are some females who could hump an 80lb ruck, load 155mm projos all day long, or hang with the men in the crew when your tank, APC, howitzer, etc, throws a track and you have to break track then reinstall it in the mud or sand. But just like the few fat soldiers that can still do everything the army and their job requires of them, the few females who CAN make it as a grunt have to be held back because of the majority who can't. Is it fair? No, but life (and the army) isn't fair - get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#49]
NO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#50]
ONE STANDARD.

Warriors come in all shapes & sizes.

That being said, most women I know would make shitty warriors. Most MEN, TOO!!!

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight; it's the size of the fight in the dog."

P3[pyro][^]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top