Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 11:54:56 AM EDT
Please don't flame me for asking (I already own an AR) but.......

I am looking at buying one of the AK kits from K-VAR and need some questions answered before I purchase.

1. If I buy the parts and receiver, will I have everything I need to assemble it?

2. Can I assemble the gun myself or will I need a gunsmith? I would like to think I am very mechanically inclined.

3. Most receivers come with no finish on them. What is the process in getting one put on?

I appreciate the help.

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the kit and receiver, then you will have all the parts for the gun. I'm not sure what tools are required to build the AK though. Try [url]www.ak-47.net[/url]

Get yourself an armorer's video before you attempt to put it together. You can get them from Delta Force. [url]www.deltaforce.com[/url]

If the receiver doesnt come with the finish, you can refinish it with Moly-resin (or the equivalent). It will require an airbrush, and about an hour in the oven to cure. You should be good to go then.

For more info, try the AK board.

Happy building!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The K-var kit is excellent. AKs are a bitch to barrel. I got a milled reciever and a K-var kit and sent the whole pile of parts to a gunsmith.

The K-var kits are 100% imported parts unless otherwise specified. So you will also need some U.S. parts to make your rifle legal.

To barrel the reciever you need to press the barrel in. Some say you need to heat the reciever in hot oil and freeze the barrel and press it in quickly before they expand/contract. Once they do, you're stuck.

I've heard of other methods, but that is the most common one.

You could also buy a barrelled and headspaced reciever from Classic Arms (I think). Maybe do the rest yourself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't mind me asking, what is it costing you to have the kit built?

I would like to build it myself but don't want to have a problem child because I didn't know what I was doing. Maybe I'll have the first one built....
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
bwilder10h,

I will send you an e-mail with pricing and a couple of recommended gunsmiths.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of building your own, but it's a LOT cheaper to buy one all ready assembled.

You really need to check out ak-47.net and assaultweb.net. They have lots of info about assembly procedures.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Building an AK will cost you more than if you buy one already put together.  Putting together an AK isn't like putting together an AR.  You will need a machine shop/gunsmith, as well as someone to refinish the rifle in most cases.

If you really want to build an AK, get a barreled action from someone like Classic Arms.  It's the receiver and barrel put together and headspaced, there is no need for a gunsmith or shop.  Typically they include some of the other parts as well.  I spent more on a machine shop just trying to get the barrel pressed in and headspaced, than what a barreled action would have cost.  I learned the hard way that building an AK from parts is expensive.  But if you go the barreled action route, it will be much faster, easier and cheaper.  I think you can even get it refinished from the company selling them, which will save even more money, especially if you aren't for sure what you are doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top