Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:00:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell nah
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's more an indictment of the industry. Not long ago, there were scripts, and you followed them exactly. To the second. And memorized them.
View Quote

lol

no--not even remotely.  you might be thinking of stage, where writers have sufficient pull to demand some adherence.  but screenplays are just grist.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pretty much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, he plays Will Smith in every movie.

Pretty much.
This

Hitch was the only movie where he should get any credit for acting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#5]
At least as good as meryl streep.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
no will smith is will smith

deniro, dakota fanning, gary oldman, denzel washington are great actors.

will smith, marky mark, samuel jackson are just insert cards that people are brainwashed into thinking they are worth a 10 dollar ticket.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say he's a pretty good actor...He's no Sean Connery, but good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy his movies. But, he's no Leo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]
He's no Daniel Day-Lewis but he's pretty good. The part in I Am Legend where he is asking the mannequin to say hello to him was excellently done, and one of the saddest things I've ever seen in a movie. Politics aside, my only bone with him is that it's been 14 years since Bad Boys II, and it's high time to make BB3.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:05:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He has been in some good and entertaining movies. Now, would those movies have still been good and entertaining, or possibly better, if another actor were cast instead of Will Smith is the real question. I think he is a decent actor, but every role he is in he plays Will Smith, and that is the problem I have with him as an actor. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I say Will Smith hasn't made anything good since Fresh Prince. They say Will Smith is an actor of exceptional achievement. Has Will Smith ever made a truly great movie?
View Quote

The problem is... his acting is usually overshadowed by the special effects.

Plus I've lost my taste for stuff he's done ever since his wife started bitching about him not getting an Oscar nomination. Sure sure she claimed it was over "people of color" but I'm pretty sure she'd have been pissy if it'd gone to a better actor than her husband.  Say... Idris Elba, whose acting doesn't take a second seat to the special effects.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Pursuit of Happiness was a phenomenal movie
View Quote

I came here to post this. He may not be a great actor but he did a fucking great job in that movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great ?       No way
Maybe borderline good.        Maybe
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Case in point...Gary Oldman is a stellar actor, probably one of the best of all time...
View Quote

This guy gets it.
Gary Oldman is one of my favorites and does fan-fucking-tastic work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Will Smith is Will Smith. Seems to play himself mostly and that's worked out decently for him. I wouldn't call him a great actor but not horrible either.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#16]
He's No Legend
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I've seen most of his movies
Will Smith vs Big Brother
Will Smith vs The Zombies
Will Smith vs Funny Aliens 1, 2, &3
Will Smith vs The Mean Aliens
Will Smith vs the Unreconstructed South
Will Smith vs the Stereotype of Will Smith as an Actor
Will Smith vs The Academy Awards
Will Smith vs The Robots
Will Smith vs Climate Change
So many more i could list.
All have been entertaining.

Side note, has anyone realized that Owen Wilson might be the most accomplished western actor of this generation?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Great, no. Good, yes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've enjoyed many of his movies, but I'm not sure I would call him a "great" actor. 
View Quote

I would have to agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He is a black version of Nicolas Cage Mark Wahlberg. If he wasn't black he'd receive the same ridicule and criticism for the same reasons. Will Smith is a perfect example of liberal racism through lowered expectations.
View Quote
I think he is entertaining, but by no means a great actor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#21]
He was OK in Hancock.....Call me a ass-hole one more time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:57:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good in MIB and Ali, sucked in everything else, particularly the Wild Wild West.
View Quote

No one would have been good in WWW.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#24]
"Punk" with NO abilities!  If you're gonna' think "Black" actor, think Denzel, guy can pull off ANY role!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've enjoyed many of his movies, but I'm not sure I would call him a "great" actor. 
View Quote

he's definitely no Barney Rubble
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The Pursuit of Happiness was a phenomenal movie
View Quote

That's the only movie i can think of where he didn't play Will Smith.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As good as Ashton Kutcher is an actor.

He's no Denzel or Nipsey Russel though.
View Quote

phenomenal actor!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
no will smith is will smith

deniro, dakota fanning, gary oldman, denzel washington are great actors.

will smith, marky mark, samuel jackson are just insert cards that people are brainwashed into thinking they are worth a 10 dollar ticket.
View Quote

I like Deniro but he seems to play the same character. He did a great job in Meet the Parents series, had me laughing.

Denzel. I'm still not sure why he got the Oscar for Training Day. I thought he had better performances in a few other movies.

Marky Mark. I think he's getting better. I liked him in Deepwater Horizon.

Samuel has pigeon holed himself into playing a lot of yelling characters. Some of earlier movies he showed some pretty good depth
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#29]
he does a good job if it is a comedy. He sucks when he tries to be serious. He sucks x10 if he tries to put his son in the movie.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I say Will Smith hasn't made anything good since Fresh Prince. They say Will Smith is an actor of exceptional achievement. Has Will Smith ever made a truly great movie?
View Quote

There, I fixed it for you.
Will smith a great actor FFS.
Kevin Spacey is a great actor. Sam Rockwell is a great actor. Jack Nicholson, Mel Gibson, Daniel Day-Lewis, all great actors. Harrison Ford, yes, mostly very good. Tom Hanks is tripping abit, but he had some great moments.
No, Will Smith is not "great". He's actually bad in most, mediocre in some.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#31]
No.  Even Denzel is more an action movie star.

Forrest Whittaker is a good actor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Will Smith is a pretty decent actor that is plagued by shit roles in shit movies. If you throw a rose onto a pile of turds people will still say it smells like shit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#33]
No.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Great?  No.  
Good?  Occasionally.  

He's decent enough, I guess.  Can't think of anything he's done that will ever be a serious contender as a legit cinema classic.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Nah
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

he's definitely no Barney Rubble
View Quote

Hey, don't be grump.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Will Smith is a "movie star".

NOT an actor.

He is sometimes entertaining.

As long as he sticks to "movie star".

When he tries ACTING...he sucks.

BAD.
View Quote

This.

I read an article a couple of years back that summarized his approach to taking various roles. For a particular potential project, he and his manager research revenues collected in the recent past by movies in whatever the genre is, by director, and by producer/production company. They also compare to anything he has done in the past that may have similarities to the new project. It doesn't seem to be "I need to work, I'll take whatever you have" or "I'm a serious artist, so I have to FEEL it". If your research is good, you don't have to be a "good actor" - just be marketable and stay away from bad production.

One thing is for sure...he's made a little money doing whatever it is he does.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Great, no. I've enjoyed some of his work, but not everything. He's good at certain roles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I like him in his earlier movies but his latest stuff has been pretty horrible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Case in point...Gary Oldman is a stellar actor, probably one of the best of all time...
View Quote

was gonna post this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
He was good in independence day. He sucked in I am Legend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Like most actors in Hollywood he's mediocre.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
He is good in some movies and worthless in other roles. But he is not a "great" actor by any stretch of the imagination.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Keanu Reeves is one of my favorite actors.  He wouldn't be near the top of my list of best actors, but I tend to really enjoy his movies.  Will Smith is that type of actor.  

Great actors?  Off the top of my head Robert Duvall, Ed Norton, Forest Whitaker, Daniel Day Lewis, Gary Oldman, Russell Crowe, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Christoph Waltz, Anthony Hopkins, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Paul Bettany.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
No, he plays Will Smith in every movie.
View Quote

This.

While he may be entertaining he usually only plays himself in every movie he's in. In suicide squad he doesn't exactly play deadshot, he still plays himself just like every movie he's ever been in with few exceptions. I never forget I'm watching Will Smith when he's on, and the story tends to suffer because of it.

Denzel Washington plays the same in every movie he's in. Training Day was an exciting movie to watch, and every movie I've seen hims in since seems to be a sequel.

Take Heath Ledger. When he was the Joker, I really felt like I was watching the Joker. In brokeback mountain I really felt like he was a broken homo.

Or Brad Pitt. I'd say he has a little too much personality injected into some of his movies, but nothing like Will Smith. Brad Pitt can still convince me he's the character in the movie to where the story becomes good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]
William Smith is a great actor.  

One hell of a blacksmith too.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Instead of big name stars like Tom Cruise and Will Smith, I prefer no name guys.

The more recent Thor movies with the Australian guy was a perfect cast, and at the time no one heard of him.
The recent Superman has a no name actor who was also perfectly cast.

Hollywood could be a lot better if they started using talented actors with less of a price tag. It would be a lot cheaper and the movies tend to be better.

But Will Smith and Tom Cruise sells tickets.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:00:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Instead of big name stars like Tom Cruise and Will Smith, I prefer no name guys.

The more recent Thor movies with the Australian guy was a perfect cast, and at the time no one heard of him.
The recent Superman has a no name actor who was also perfectly cast.

Hollywood could be a lot better if they started using talented actors with less of a price tag. It would be a lot cheaper and the movies tend to be better.

But Will Smith and Tom Cruise sells tickets.
View Quote

Stop for lunch while driving across country, and you're faced with a dilemma: McDonald's or the local burger joint?

With one you know exactly what you're going to get, and with the other you have no idea . . .  so Hollywood keeps offering us MickeyD's.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
William Smith is a great actor.  

http://0.tqn.com/d/scifi/1/S/W/P/0/-/screen1ji.jpg

One hell of a blacksmith too.
View Quote

LOL!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top