Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2001 4:50:00 PM EDT
The new shotgun news has one in for I think $250 w/ 2 10rnd and 2 30rnd mags. Good deal?
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That is probably a SAR 2 that you saw.  I prefer the 7.62 x 39 SAR 1 .  The SAR's are IMO very good AK's.  They can still be found in the price range that you stated for the SAR 2 and 300.00 give or take a few dollars for the SAR1.  I love mine....have never had any troubles with it
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
The one in shotgun news is probably a romanian sar-1. they are a shooter not a wall hanger but that's probably why you are buying it. The finish won't be as nice as a bulgarian but is so reliable it will go bang everytime you pull the trigger. Look into a mak90 by norinco, most of them have a thumbhole stock, my wifes is a very nice shooter and the finish is superb. E-mail me if you have any questions.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If you feel like getting the BEST AK for the money check out the VEPR II from Robinson Armament.  They're available in .223, 7.62, and .308, all with 20" barrels with shorter barrels availble soon.  I've seen from their sithe that these rifles are EXTREMELY accurate, with all 3 calibers capable of sub-MOA accuracy!  The 7.62 model will accept all AK mags and drums, the .223 takes modified AK-74 mags (I'm currently pestering RobArms for an AR mag adapter like the Galil had), and the .308 takes 5 or 10 round proprietary mags, although there is talk of making some to accept M-14 mags.  Also solidly built, using a thicker reciever with addad reinforcement around the barrel trunnion.  From the few I've handled, I can agree with others who have said: "It feels more like an HK than an AK."  Tennessee Guns has them for $500 or less, depending on caliber.
Check em out here:
[url]www.robarm.com[/url]
[url]www.tennesseeguns.com[/url]

BTW - This week I plan on trading my SAR-1 for the .223 VEPR II!
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I"ll let you know how I make out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as function and accuracy Maadi is the way to go.  The stocks on Maadi's aren't all that pretty, but you can change that.  As far as an all around rifle the Romanian Sar's are also hard to beat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
To be honest with you, I've had far fewer problems with my SAR-1 than I had with a Norinco pre-ban underfolder that I had. The Norinco was picky about ammo, had to use full metal jacket. My SAR-1 on the other hand will eat anything you feed it. And as far as the MAK-90's go, I know there are people out there who swear by theirs, but everytime I shot it my stock would jar loose and I'd have to break the screwdriver out to tighten it back up. Not only that but those thumbhole stocks are fucking ugly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the Pre 89 import ban Norinco 56S. Anything else is a distant second.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The best?

# 1. - Bulgarian (93s, & 95s).

# 2. - VEPR ll (Think Gary Owen sells them).

For the money?

Probably the SAR-1
View Quote

I agree, I have a Bulgarian SLR-95 and I can't think of any other AK that shoots as well as it!!! It is one of the few with a milled receiver and for an AK it is accurate. It really impressed me and said I would never buy an AK but saw this and REALLY was impressed, especially after I shot it!

MUST SEE, if you can find one now!
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
POLYTECH-ITS MILLED
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like my SAR2 in 5.45X39 comes with the side plate so you can mount optics, and hi-cap mags are about $5.  AIM has them for $229, or did anyway.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I found the romanians to be stingers. My MAK-90 was great, but the Romanian 5.45mm and the 7.62mm were both uncomfortable to shoot. They hurt my trigger finger and I would often switch to my middle finger to finish shooting. Shoot the different models if you get a chance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#14]
SS109,

Its called trigger slap.  Do a seach on it at ak-47.net and you can find some advice on fixing that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And as far as the MAK-90's go, I know there are people out there who swear by theirs, but everytime I shot it my stock would jar loose and I'd have to break the screwdriver out to tighten it back up.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure anyone with a Mak-90 knows about that screw always coming lose. I broke off a couple wooden match sticks inside the hole and tightened the screw back up and it has stayed ever since. I swear by mine...I put over 7,000 rds through mine with maybe two or three instances which were mag related. I don't care for the new Romanians the scope mount on the side looks like crap to me and the wood is really poor on it. I rather pay a couple hundred more for the Bulgarian myself or another Mak-90.

John

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd go with a SAR1 cheap, pistol grip, and plentiful ammo. I have a SAR2 a little cheaper but mags and ammo I have only found on the net. My MAK90 has the best trigger and bluing of any AK I have ever seen for the $. I put a Choate stock on it and WOW. It moved the MAK into another class of rifle. GET ONE you won't be sorry.

http://www.choatemachinetool.com/

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Bulgarian milled Gordon Tech SLR100H.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top