Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2003 9:29:00 AM EDT
So I'm thinking about learning some form of martial art, primarily for defensive purposes.

I'm looking for something that can help me defend myself against knives and to help me retain any weapon that I may be forced to use.

I'm not a very big guy, so that probably leaves out some of types that require a lot of brute strength.

I know all forms have their weaknesses, but are there any in particular that are better all around than others for my purposes?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Wing chun kung fu, if you can find a good teacher.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#2]
my favorite martial arts are.............
KIMBER
GLOCK

if ya really must gettin into martial arts there are a few things ya must know (bout yourself) all the training in the world wont help you , if you are infact a big scaredy cat pussy ( I do not know you, so i dont know if this pertains, dont take offense, its a generalization), even if ya can kick ass in a gym against ppl that you know WONT try and kill, you go out in the real world with sumone who has nuttin to lose, they will go ape shit on your ass and your first instinct will be to run or freeze or coward. im not saying what ya are doin is bad, martial arts gets you in shape and limber, its a good thing, and it can help in your shooting dicipline, so basically any of the major forms would work. but do it for the right reasons. ill put a firearm up against the worlds best martial artist. lol. but if ya must choose one , i say NINJITSU, cause ninjas are awesum..
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Shaolin Kung Fu which also incorporates Shao Lin Chin Na (grappling) as well as the different fighting styles.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shaolin Kung Fu which also incorporates Shao Lin Chin Na (grappling) as well as the different fighting styles.

View Quote

My vote goes for that, because the guy on the TV show was cool.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The one that is affordable and close enough that you will actually train there.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
If your looking to get in GREAT shape... then try WU SHU

Its a gymnastic form of martial arts, and if you EVER walk in on their class, your jaw will drop as you see them do things you never thought a human could do.

You will learn: Various forms (You know those funky routines ppl do by themselves in kung fu movies) and ariel manuvers. Ariel cartweels, butterfly kick, butterfly full twist (Imagine jumping so that your body is parallel to the ground and your doing a 360... then landing it.)
Also, many of the basic airel manuvers are just amazing. They launch themselves so high in the air its just ridiculous. During the time I spent practicing, my legs became like steel. I would never attempt to do a flying jumpkick on a thug (We have guns dont we?) but the class was worth it. It made me much stronger, more healthy, and gave me much more balance. Good Stuff!

The weapon forms are also amazing. Remember the scene in shanghai noon where jackie had the horshoe tied to the rope... thats a wushu weapon (except replace the horshoe with a steel dart) We also have Steel Whips... giant staffs with a ball of spikes attached to the other end. EVEN SAW HORSES are weapons!! Lets not forget broadswords that weigh a ton (gets your arm in SHAPE) straigtswords, staff, 3 section staff, dagger, hookswords, dual spear, spear, and hammers!!  It is all looks cool, it gets you in shape, and if you ever got into a fight with old weapons, you just might win. >=)
(Im pretty mean with the staff myself)

Oh, and be expected to do the splits in three directions. Lots of STRETCHING too. It hurts me to think about what we used to do for punishment... splits each side for 20 minutes. I want to cry. It does not help when the teacher pushes you down either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
sho-lin kung fu...mind,body,spirit..it just works as a defence as a side benifit,however extreemly well.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#9]
BTW...Wu Shu is the correct name for "Kung Fu"..the name was changed, after the 1949 Chinese Revolution, when the Communists tried to outlaw the teaching of Wu Shu..

Kung Fu basically means "hard work"
(which was an "acceptable" idea for the prolitariat)

If you really want something particularly devastating, while studying Shaolin Kung Fu, concentrate on learning Eagle Claw Kung Fu.

Chin Na is probably the most practical..
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW...Wu Shu is the correct name for "Kung Fu"..the name was changed, after the 1949 Chinese Revolution, when the Communists tried to outlaw the teaching of Wu Shu..

Kung Fu basically means "hard work"
(which was an "acceptable" idea for the prolitariat)

If you really want something particularly devastating, while studying Shaolin Kung Fu, concentrate on learning Eagle Claw Kung Fu.

Chin Na is probably the most practical..
View Quote

Ok class...

Wu = Martial or military
Shu = Art

WuShu is the chinese equivalent of Bugei (although most people incorrectly equate it with Budo) and means "Martial Art."

Kung = Work or Skill
Fu = In this case Man or person

Kung Fu means a man of skill or expertise (ie. educated) and is not exclusive to martial arts skill. You can demonstrate Kung Fu in relation to cooking or poetry.

And the proletariat was NOT fond of Kung Fu or the ideas promoted in traditional martial arts. During the cultural revolution the vast majority of martial artists were killed. Most who lived escaped to Hong Kong and as a result transplanted the seat of traditional martial arts teachings. Genuine martial arts are extremely rare in China as a result.

What the Chinese call WuShu is a communist approved version that is mostly a bastardization of gymnastics combined with commie approved martial arts and complemented with a fictionalized history.

The term Kung Fu being used specifically for martial arts is a US misuse of the term being supplanted arount the world. Prior to the term WuShu the Communists used KuaShu or "National Art."

Chuan Fa = Fist Way and is the most commmon term for martial arts in Hong Kong to differentiate from that taught in China.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Gun-Fu
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I would vote for Aikido.  It is based on defense rather than offense.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]

There's a newer style of self-defense that emphasizes open-hands and more passive stances and, according to those who practice it, it's really quite effective. It's growing in popularity in California and some east coast places too. It's called 'No-gun Fo Yu'.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]
For many years now it seams like no one has even a chance at winning any ultimate fighting championship who is not a student of Brazilian Jujitsu.

My son started classes along with boxing at the beginning of summer. Machado Brazilian Jujitsu is taught very hands on. You don’t stand and practice your moves in the air like other martial arts. Instead you practice against opponents. When my son started he was being regularly whooped on in sparing by a 90lb opponent and my son is 5’9” and 185lbs and played both offence and defense for his schools football team and nearly played every down in every game. Not week and not out of shape.

Now that he has six weeks under his belt he beats this kid about 50% of the time and enjoys sparing with the adults. He is not being trained to fight. He is being trained to win in a life and death struggle. Now he wants me to start taking him to the weapons class at the same gym.        
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a can of very hot pepper spray and spray his ass. That doesn't work run or turn it up a notch and shoot him.

Unless you just want a hobbie martial arts is a waste of time and money. For and person to learn a few moves and practice them in a controled environment to think that they are going to kick someones ass that has probaby been in a few fights and relies on strenth, violence, and more than likly a weapon is fooling themselves.

How many fights you been in? You ever had your eggs scrambled?

You mentioned defence against a knife, only a idiot would try to karate someone with a knife. He has a deadly weapon, a knife, and hes attacking you shoot his ass.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There's a newer style of self-defense that emphasizes open-hands and more passive stances and, according to those who practice it, it's really quite effective. It's growing in popularity in California and some east coast places too. It's called 'No-gun Fo Yu'.

View Quote

For more on this technique...

[url]http://www.guncontrolalliance.org/snivel.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Ti Kwan Leep.....
[url]http://www.soulthra.com/tzun/boothead.wav[/url]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For many years now it seams like no one has even a chance at winning any ultimate fighting championship who is not a student of Brazilian Jujitsu.

View Quote

Respectfully, there's a difference between trying to beat somebody in a competition and defendng your life by any means necessary.

UFC champs are top of the line, taught stuff a normal Gracie student will never see.

UFC is entertainment, not life and death.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#20]
IPSC

"Kung-Fu this, bitch!"

sorry, but aside from Jackie Chan flicks, I can't really contribute much.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#21]

You have to keep this to yourself...

I'll only say this once and then this post will disappear.

MNJ, Mall-Ninjutsu![BD]

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get a can of very hot pepper spray and spray his ass. That doesn't work run or turn it up a notch and shoot him.

Unless you just want a hobbie martial arts is a waste of time and money. For and person to learn a few moves and practice them in a controled environment to think that they are going to kick someones ass that has probaby been in a few fights and relies on strenth, violence, and more than likly a weapon is fooling themselves.

How many fights you been in? You ever had your eggs scrambled?

You mentioned defence against a knife, only a idiot would try to karate someone with a knife. He has a deadly weapon, a knife, and hes attacking you shoot his ass.
View Quote

This is the dumbest thing I've read today.

Way to have ZERO backup plan.

I love guys who put all their eggs in one basket. Oh your gun is in the car? Wanna bet I can keep you from getting to it?

Oh your gun jammed or FTF? Ok I'll wait till you fix it before I hit you with a rock.

It should be a given that everyone here knows the value of firearms. Nobody is asking about martial arts as a substitute to personal defense firearms but as a supplement to cover their bases.

As for fights I've been in a few. Even in a couple where if I hauled out my gun and shot the guy I'd still probably be in jail. And yes I was carrying at the time. Not everything is a shoot situation.

The only intelligent point you made at all is a person with a knife is a shoot situation.  UNLESS he is within 12 feet. In that case you better know something because if you go for a gun you are dead. You simply don't have time it happens too fast and you lose 100% of the time.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unless you just want a hobbie martial arts is a waste of time and money.
View Quote

[LOLabove]

BTW, I'm laughing AT you, not WITH you [:D]

Quoted:
For and person to learn a few moves and practice them in a controled environment to think that they are going to kick someones ass that has probaby been in a few fights and relies on strenth, violence, and more than likly a weapon is fooling themselves.
View Quote
Ooooookay toughguy. Whatever you say. [whacko]

For a person to learn how to shoot at a range in a controlled environment to think that they are gonna be able to draw from a seated position with a holstered gun and hit a man in an uncontrolled setting who's coming at them in under 1 second is REALLY fooling themselves.

Quoted:
You mentioned defence against a knife, [red]only a idiot would try to karate someone with a knife.[/red] He has a deadly weapon, a knife, and hes attacking you shoot his ass.
View Quote
No, only an idiot would think that an unarmed person (such a bar patron or kid at school) will ALWAYS be able to rely on their firearm for self-defense. [rolleyes]

Tell ya' what sizzlechest, if you think you can get your weapon out, aim and fire in [u]under 1 second[/u] (the amount of time it takes for a man to cross a room with a pool cue swinging towards your noggin) before you're head becomes a lumpy mass of goo - more power to ya' cowboy.

Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Chitchat, My son is 13 and not training for any UFC though some of his instructors participate in such events and he is learning from them. He is learning submission holds and how to make someone stop or agree to stop the fight sparring can be brutal when both parties want to really go at it. My son has seen a lot of blood and hematomas deep bruising and cracked ribs.  

It is true that no one will let him practice gouging out their eyes or bighting off their nose but he is getting an hour and a half or more of all hands on training five days a week.

He will attend the weapons classes and improvised weapons classes and he will be better suited to defending himself than nearly anyone who stands and punches and kicks at the air to show how well they have learned some other martial art.

He may someday also attend the Mui Thai kickboxing classes.

I have not seen a better way of training students than the hands on approach taken in the classes he attends and I stand by my first answer and this one and Brazilian Jujitsu is my recommendation as the best martial art to learn. Obviously I believe in learning more than one discipline but if one can only have one as far as I’m concerned this is the one to learn.

I don’t have a problem if someone else likes or recommends another.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Gracie Jiu Jitsu.  Most fights rapidly degenerate from fisticuffs to grappling.  Royce Gracie proved the superiority of his system in UFC matches.  BTW, IIRC, the rules of the UFC were 1) No biting and 2) No eye-gouging, so I wouldn't call it just a show.  Those guys wanted to win.

Jeet Kune Do.  Bruce sorted through all the traditional styles with the philosophy of "Keep what works, get rid of what doesn't."  It makes sense if you're looking for something that is effective with little fluff.

Aikido.  Segall is a better martial artist than actor.  Aikido teaches you to use your opponent against himself (Balance, momentum, force, etc.).  As noted above, it is defensive in nature.

Chin Na.  I don't know a lot about it, but the little bit I've seen of it suggests that you could put a hurting on somebody in a hurry with this (Bending joints in directions they weren't designed to go and other fun stuff).

If I was to pick one I think I'd go with the Gracie Jiu Jitsu (or that Navy SEAL fighting video I saw in SOF!).
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the replies so far.

The places that I KNOW of nearby teach Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, and I've seen a Brazilian JuiJistu place about 20 minutes away.

I'm sure there's also a million places for "Karate".

I DO usually carry a handgun, but there are plenty of times that it's not possible to do so.  And, like Macallen says, it's virtually impossible (except for Bob Munden) to draw and fire in the time it takes an attacker to travel 7yds with a blade.  I want options.

Also, my girlfriend beats me up  [BD]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies so far.

The places that I KNOW of nearby teach Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, and I've seen a Brazilian JuiJistu place about 20 minutes away.

I'm sure there's also a million places for "Karate".

I DO usually carry a handgun, but there are plenty of times that it's not possible to do so.  And, like Macallen says, it's virtually impossible (except for Bob Munden) to draw and fire in the time it takes an attacker to travel 7yds with a blade.  I want options.

Also, my girlfriend beats me up  [BD]
View Quote

Generally avoid TaeKwonDo, very few schools are serious about anything other than making money.

Karate is hit or miss because it has becmoe a generic term for commercial marketing. They run the spectrum from usless to reliable.

Aikido is generally going to be more realistic but takes a great deal of practice before it can be employed on a effective level due to the inherent complexity of some of the techniques. Also be aware that many Aikido styles have been neutered and are completely devoid of actual combat principles.

All are better than nothing.

Most have a introduction/trial program consisting of a couple classes and maybe a uniform for about $25. Try all that look promising and discuss what you are looking for specifically with the instructor. Then pick the one that best meets your needs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#29]
All your fu are weak !! [img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/ninja.gif[/img]

I suggest training with the master.....NSFJoJo !!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#30]
two 1911"s
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top