Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2003 1:53:38 PM EDT
A fundraiser turns fatal. Today, a Metro officer is on leave after a shooting at a fireworks stand. It happened late last night at Spring Mountain and Rainbow. The officer and his wife were working at the booth when investigators say a man pointed a gun at them, and demanded money. News 3's Denise Rosch reports when it was over... the robber was dead.

The officer involved was off-duty. Although it's police policy not to release his name for 48 hours... we know he is assigned to the K-9 unit. In fact, the booth is run by K-9 officers. Like many organizations, the unit was simply trying to raise some extra cash when they were targeted by a crook.

Three year old Talyn has a pretty good idea what happens on the 4th of July. "We're going to do fireworks." And for 12 years, Metro K-9 officers have been selling the goods... a fundraiser to help out with costs the department just can't budget for. "We send dogs to other parts of the country... buy equipment for our dogs, seminars for the handlers, things like that.

But overnight, police say the K-9 booth became a target. A man armed with a handgun made the fatal mistake of picking this booth to rob. "He placed a handgun up to the female operator's head, the other male operator is an off-duty police officer, produced his own handgun and shot the individual in the commission of that robbery."

The suspect stumbled away... but died a short distance from the booth. Police say, it was the second fireworks stand the man had hit that night. "When people are stealing they don't think about who they're stealing from, they're just stealing." Marti Krotz is with the Community of Christ Church. Just 15 minutes before the K-9 booth was robbed -- the church stand at Flamingo and Buffalo was held-up too -- again -- a man pointing a gun and demanding cash. "We tell everybody if in the event... give it to them."

But what's even more frightening, witnesses think someone else was involved in these robberies. After running away from the church stand... the man was seen getting into a waiting car along Buffalo, and speeding away. Today, parishioners try not to think about what might have happened...or the decision an off-duty cop was forced to make. "If he had a gun to a family member of mine and I had a gun, I think I would've done the same thing."

If there is a second person involved in this case... Police have not released any information about him. A coroner's inquest will now be scheduled to decide if the officer was justified in pulling the trigger. The man who was shot is listed as a "John Doe" at the coroner's office. Employees there are trying to figure out who he is.
View Quote

[url]http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=1345623&nav=15MVGhp7[/url]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, it sure is quiet in here.........let me help:

WELL AT LEAST HE WENT HOME SAFE THAT NIGHT!!!!

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Good shoot and I'm really glad no one was hurt except the scumbag.
If you guys can call em when they're bad you should have the balls to step in here and call good shoot when it is one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
May they all meet the same fate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA,

The retard was robbing the police fundraiser and got shot, he just robbed a church booth a few minutes before and pissed off God.  Proves both God and Karma in one shot, no pun intended.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Safe and Sane

ED
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]
How stupid can you get? Robbing the frigging Police K9 fundraising booth?

He got what he deserved. Good shoot. There is nothing to see here. Move along...
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A perfect example of why citzens should be armed.  The fact he was a cop means nothing.
When you look at the nitty gritty he was just a citzen with a gun that stopped a criminal.
View Quote

Very well said....

Glad to see both the officer, and his family, are safe.

Sounds like a good citizen stopping crime.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no problem with this shooting. I just wish (as a resident of missouri) I had the same opportunity to defend myself if I fell into a similiar circumstance.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, I'll call it.  Good Shoot!!!!  They will hold a coroners inquest to see if the cop felt an imminent threat to life if he didn't shoot the guy holding a gun to his wife's head?  WTF?  This is an open and shut case.  If I see someone holding a gun to some one's head, I see an imminent threat to the life of that individual and would have no qualms in squeezing the trigger on him.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd say one piece of trash reached room temperature!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Was there a donut shop across the street for the tri-fecta?

Good shoot, but who am I to say.
Jason
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweeet.....
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Was there a donut shop across the street for the tri-fecta?

Good shoot, but who am I to say.
Jason
View Quote

I guess if you dont like seeing good people get robbed at gun-point then you can say "good shoot". The donut jokes are old...it takes a hell of a person to place him/herself in harms way for what theyre paid, but who am I to say?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok since im a cop basher I will throw in my two cents.

Good shoot! Glad to see "REAL" bad guys end up with holes in them.

But if this hadnt been a cop, but was just a fireworks retailer his ass would be in a sling.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
...But if this hadnt been a cop, but was just a fireworks retailer his ass would be in a sling...
View Quote

Not so.  Here in Vegas, so long as the guy had his CCW, they'd have taken his statement and sent him home.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Reminds me of what was supposed to be a true story about this dude that walks into a party and proceeds to peddle drugs.  It, of course, was a party full of cops.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But if this hadnt been a cop, but was just a fireworks retailer his ass would be in a sling.
View Quote

Why?  Even in PRK, you are exempt from CCW laws in your business.

BTW, good shoot.  Must be the uniform that makes them stoopid [:D]
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Bummer.

There really isn't any such thing as a  "good shoot"  Justified, yes.  But because Darwin's Proof had to go and do some dumb, dumb sh*t, now he's dead, and the officer and his wife are having to deal with the trauma of the whole thing.  I hope they can shake it off soon, and I'd say the world is a bette place because of those two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top