Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 3:09:45 AM EDT
Painting the interior of the house, I have vaulted ceilings and it is a B***H to roll paint that high. I've got an aluminum extendable pole. So, since I've got alot of ceiling to go and the outside will have to be restained as well one day, I'm considering one of the airless sprayers. Not the Wagner pieces of crap but the real sprayers that I drop in the 5 gal bucket of paint and go. What is a good brand to go with? Any special features to look for? Any secrets to operating one? Going to be painting walls & ceilings.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Graco is the way to go...

I brush and roll most interiors.. Unless you've got acoustic texture on ceilings.

if your determined to spray.. drop cloth everything, keep your paint pressure as low as possible without fingering the fan pattern

in other words, you want a perfect fan pattern spraying from yout tip..  otherwise you'll get lines on your work.  

You may have to thin your latex a little too.  (very little)

Good Luck  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#2]
home depot has some deals occassionally on their sprayers. I have had graco and campbell hasufeld. one bad thing about hasufeld is the filter is in the handle and underized. Couple of tips, strain your paint with the type of strainer that goes over the bucket, spray a trial patter to adjust pressure and pattern to eliminate the telltale lines or tails. plan on two coats and if you have trouble try thinning slightly. better yet, buy beer and i will come paint it for you!!!only kidding.....[bber]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I just painted my acoustic-splattered ceiling with a roller on an aluminum extension pole and Behr ceiling paint.

Had no problems at all using the roller.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:15:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If yer not a pro, don't spray, especially interior!!

Rent some scaffolding, and roll it..
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Liberty might have a point there.  I'm renovating a 3/1 investment house. 8ft ceilings.  Painting inside & out.  Bought one of the $500 dollar Home Depot specials last week.

It is FAST.  Painted 3 bedrooms, ceilings and a hallway in less than an hour.  But there was no flooring down, only a concrete slab.  

Tried taping the windows at first, but in a few minutes the cloud of Kilz made it hard to breath.  After opeing the windows it looked like there was a fire from the cloud billowing out the windows.  

I wouldn't dream of using this thing in a home that had furniture and flooring in it.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If you purchase a professional sprayer I think you also need to purchase different tips for the sprayer depending on what you're spraying.

Perhaps look into renting one instead.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Home depot has the cheaper line of the Graco..

a 5/17 tip will be what you probably want to use..  

Straining your paint is advised you need a reversa tip too..  if you get a tip clog, you just twist the tip an blow it out..  other wise you have to completly remove the tip evrytime to clear it.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Home depot has the cheaper line of the Graco..

a 5/17 tip will be what you probably want to use..  

Straining your paint is advised you need a reversa tip too..  if you get a tip clog, you just twist the tip an blow it out..  other wise you have to completly remove the tip evrytime to clear it.  

View Quote

Isn't paint strained with pantyhose?
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Titanium..  

Panty hose would work fine.. I always buy the
5 gallon white strainers with elastic top that stretches and holds itself to the bucket.  Other wise it can be a bit of a mess trying to do it by yourself.  Their about 1.50 for one and reusable/cleanable if your shooting Latex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top