Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 7:35:35 PM EDT
This is just a plug for a really decent seller. Nikzoe is selling NIB Phrobis bayonets for $150 here on the boards [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=98&t=169627&w=searchPop[/url]

I bought one from him, and it was exactly as advertised. New in the sealed wrap in the original box with the original instructions...as issued. If you've checked eBay lately, you can't touch an original NIB Phrobis there for less than $170.

I also have a new Ontario (current issue) M9, and while it's solid and functional, the quality just doesn't compare to the Buck-made Phrobis....and there won't be any more of these since Buck stopped making them in 1997.

Anyway, I think his prices are very reasonable, and I thought I would pass it on if you're in the market.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How much better are the Phrobis than the Ontarios?

Just curious.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Buck lost the contract on M9's because they could not produce an "acceptable" product as cheap as Lan-Cay (and later Ontario) could.

Buck used a completely different process than Lan-Cay and Ontario. The difference is obvious in the blades and even the guards. Buck machined their blades, and Lan-Cay and Ontario purchased new laser-cutting equipment to laser-cut the blades...it's cheaper and faster that way. Lan-Cay and Ontario also didn't bother with the blood groove, so they're a little heavier and somewhat less refined.

The only Ontario I've ever handled is the one I own. But the laser leaves rough places on the sides of the blade, and the blade on mine is warped....I can only assume from the heat. I don't know how common this is. While it would work fine as a bayo, and it's solidly assembled, it doesn't make nearly as nice a knife.

Also, the older Phrobis/Buck scabbards are nicer in that they have more straps, a Beretta mag pouch in front, and a sharpening stone in the rear of the scabbard. The newer scabbards don't have the integrated sharpening stone or the pouch...more cost cutting.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks showgun

CRC
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#4]
No prob.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top