Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 6:22:10 PM EDT
Four Dead, Five Wounded in Missouri Plant Shooting

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Reuters) - A bloody workplace rampage by a 25-year-old plant worker, who later fatally shot himself, left four dead, and five wounded Wednesday as police searched for a motive.

Police said there were many theories as to why Jonathon Russell took a 40-caliber [b]Glock[/b] semi-automatic handgun with him to work at Modine Manufacturing Co, Tuesday night. But no one knows for sure why he opened fire on his co-workers just after clocking in for the 10:30 p.m. CDT shift.

Walking from station to station with his gun, Russell appeared to have certain co-workers targeted, said Jefferson City Police Captain Jim Johnsen.

A 44-year-old male co-worker and a 29-year male co-worker both died on the plant floor, while a 42-year-old colleague died later on the way to a hospital, said Johnsen. Five injured workers remained hospitalized Wednesday, he said.

As police and paramedics were rushing to the scene, Russell drove across town to the city police department where he exchanged gunfire with officers there and then apparently shot himself just outside the police department.

"It's all theoretical at this point as to his motives," said Johnsen. "We may possibly never know."

Early information indicates Russell may have been nearing a suspension at work and was possibly having gambling problems, he said. He also may have been having marital problems and become separated from his wife, Johnsen added.

Russell lived in nearby Holts Summit, Missouri, and had worked for Modine for about two years, according to company officials.

Modine officials said they were suspending operations for the rest of the week and were providing grief counseling for the 270 workers at the plant, which manufactures radiators for use in agricultural and construction industries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That sux...horrible timing as well: http://www.packing.org/news/article.jsp/9076/
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess it would have been too much to ask that his pistol went kaboom and blew his damn face off.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
coincidence or conspiracy?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#5]
good thing the law limits feeding devices to 10 rounds
just think if he had 15 rounders, he might have killed 1000 children...
stupid gun grabbers and their retarded laws.
god forbid any of his victims actually be able to defend themselves.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
This kind of stuff is just the warm-up for the BIG EVENT that will allow the politicians the "fuel" for renewing the AWB.

Wanna bet $?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:50:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This kind of stuff is just the warm-up for the BIG EVENT that will allow the politicians the "fuel" for renewing the AWB.

Wanna bet $?
View Quote

The next 15 months are going to be a roller coaster ride...  to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:35:00 AM EDT
[#8]
So do you think these incidents increase near impending legislation or just the reporting of them? I haven't figured out which. But the fact that the Tech 9 used by the Columbine nit wits was sold to them by the son of a charter member of HCI just has my alarm bells going off all over the place. Sacrifice a few sheep to save the flock? Not unheard of.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I've long said it's amazing how the blood starts to flow the closer it is to time for new gun legislation.

Interesting on the Columbine/HCI link...  got an internet link to that?

Alex
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Not wanting to hijack this or anything...but ....

When I saw who started this thread, and the topic of the thread, I thought a certain someone was running around in his skivvies in the middle of the night shooting up in the air again......I am sad to see this in not the case.    
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
coincidence or conspiracy?
View Quote

I sence a rash of shooting.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The article I read on this emphasized that he had carried the gun CONCEALED.......
Then went on to talk about the CCW law going before the governor.

Talk about sensationalizing the story
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#13]
from the AP

Cops Once Used Gun in Mo. Plant Shooting
By PAUL SLOCA
ASSOCIATED PRESS

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -

The semiautomatic pistol a factory worker used to kill three co-workers and wound five others before turning it on himself once belonged to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, authorities said.

Stamped with the patrol's emblem and the initials "MSHP," it apparently was legally sold to the gun dealer who sold it to Jonathon Russell last month.

"He bragged to a bunch of guys how it was a real sweet shooting gun," Mack Yarnell, a third-shift worker at the Modine Manufacturing Co. plant, told The Kansas City Star for a story in Thursday editions. "He was real proud of it."

Late Wednesday, shortly after a shift change, Russell, 25, calmly smoked a cigarette and sipped a soda before clocking in. As others on the evening shift arrived, Russell punched his time card and walked to his work station on a soldering line in the center of the large, open plant.

"Then he pulled out a concealed handgun" and began firing, said Jefferson City police Capt. Jim Johnsen. On Thursday, Gov. Bob Holden is expected to veto a measure allowing Missourians to carry concealed weapons.

One of the workers, Mack Yarnell, said he thought someone was hitting a piece of tin.

"I looked at a guy and joked to him, `Sounds like someone's getting shot," Yarnell said.

Russell bought the .40-caliber Glock semiautomatic pistol in June from a Jefferson City gun shop. He lived across the Missouri River in Callaway County and had filled out paperwork to buy a pistol as required by state law, Sheriff Dennis Crane said.

"We checked him out in the computers and he had no criminal record, so there was no reason not to issue the permit," Crane said.

Those killed were Terry Wilson, 44, of Holts Summit, and Ricky Borts, 29, of California, Mo. A supervisor, Tim Wilbers, 42, was shot 50 feet away and died on the way to the hospital.

Five other workers were wounded and being treated at area hospitals. Their conditions ranged from good to critical.

Police described Russell as a quiet man beset by personal woes. He may have targeted specific victims at the plant, where he worked for two years, investigators said. At the time of the shooting, 140 employees were working.

"This could be that it was more planned than a spur of the moment thing," Johnsen said.

Roger Hetrick, a Modine spokesman, said Russell was on probation for missing work too often.

"We simply don't know why he did what he did, and we may never know," Hetrick said.

Russell drove from the plant to the downtown police station, where he fired at two officers who confronted them, Johnsen said. He said one of the officers fired back, and Russell started to run off, then stopped and killed himself.

Racine, Wis.-based Modine Manufacturing Co. makes air and oil filters for various engines and has plants worldwide.

The plant's operations have been suspended at least for the rest of this week. CEO David Rayburn said the company would provide counseling for those who wanted it.

"Modine's focus at this point is on supporting our employees and their families through this very tragic event," Rayburn said in a statement.

---

Associated Press Writers David A. Lieb and Scott Charton contributed to this report from Jefferson City.

--

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."

Jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top