Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:52:18 AM EDT
Stray dogs. I've got about 20-30 of them running around my complex. Some are older while some are just little puppies. They chase all the stray cats around as well. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem if my residents weren't finding dead cats left on their doorsteps. The dogs also chase the smaller kids around in the afternoons and evenings. They also tear into the garbage left outside the dumpsters and spread it around the property as well. All this makes for a real mess. I have tried animal control and here in Houston, they are next to worthless. They employ 2, I repeat, 2 dog catchers for the entire city. On top of that, those 2 only work a couple days a week. After weeks of trying to get the Bubba Brigade with dart guns out here to catch a few of these animals, they came. 3 hours later they left with 2 dogs. The oldest and slowest of the pack. Now they have had puppies again and reinforcements are here. Meanwhile the city is nowhere to be found. They flat out told me, there wasn't anything more they could do for me other than pick up dead animals or caged animals. However if I was caught killing the dogs then I would be in trouble. And they won't rent me the traps they have nor does anyone in town seem to sell large dog sized traps. Help, I'm being overrun, need reinforcements.................
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:53:34 AM EDT
you in town?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:56:20 AM EDT
Tough situation.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:21:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 7:24:00 AM EDT by Searcherfortruth]
I have a brother in Austin who lives right in the town, & he shoots blue jays in his yard with a .22 with CB caps. I couldn't believe it when he told me that. I always figured the swat team would show up at any shooting in a town that size. He said he is just very discreet. Is it that you wouldn't shoot them, or just don't want the police showing up to your house? Because you could always opt for a good pellet rifle, & a few encounters in your yard should leave them wised up enough to avoid you in the future. Otherwise set a big box trap with a cat as bait[:D], or a get a cross bow, pepper spray on a trip wire, a discreet puddle of anti freeze, in the back yard, or a sponge soaked in gravy. Just don't tell anyone you heard it from me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:22:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 7:31:48 AM EDT by u-baddog]
Will they even take them if you trap them and bring em to them ? http://www.tomahawklivetrap.com/products/29.html [img]http://www.livetrap.com/shop/product_shots/small/610ccolor.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:23:55 AM EDT
Crossbow.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:24:15 AM EDT
CBs won't reliably kill an animal the size of a dog. Use a long-barreled .22 rifle with Eley or RWS subsonic loads. Not silent, but unless someone actually SEES you do it they won't pay it any attention.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:24:46 AM EDT
What sucks is when you drain your old antifreeze into a pan and forget to take it out of your driveway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:29:10 AM EDT
IBTL...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:31:03 AM EDT
FWIW, about thirty years ago, a friend of mine living in a very rough neighborhood in East San Diego rid his hood of about ten dogs. He shot them. His neighbors would let their mutts out every night to run wild and they did. Every night for months, the dogs would pack up and literally terrorize the neighborhood. He tried but couldn't get the authorities to respond...so he took matters into his own hands. Over the period of several weeks, he whacked about ten of these dogs, bagged them up in a Hefty and put them in the trash. He most often used a .22LR but on at least one occasion he used a Colt 1911. Once, when the pack alpha male had him trapped on his own front porch late one evening, he dropped the mutt with one shot to the head with his .45. It was a big dog and he was afraid a smaller caliber round might not put it down immediately. I know he got another one with his PPK while jogging early one morning too when the stray attacked him from behind. In his neighborhood nobody gave a rat's rear about a solo gunshot every once in a while...hell, it would have been strange if there WASN'T a few shots every evening! Eventually, he reduced that pack of mutts to zero...and nobody ever got wise. Mind you...I'm NOT advocating that...but it did work for him.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:33:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By QuietShootr: CBs won't reliably kill an animal the size of a dog. Use a long-barreled .22 rifle with Eley or RWS subsonic loads. Not silent, but unless someone actually SEES you do it they won't pay it any attention.
View Quote
HUH? CB's with broadhead's HAVE killed deer, elk, bear and moose, why not a dog. It's all about shot placement brother. I guarantee you hit a dog in the vitals with a broadhead, he aint going far.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:37:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slumlord: Stray dogs. I've got about 20-30 of them running around my complex. Some are older while some are just little puppies. They chase all the stray cats around as well. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem if my residents weren't finding dead cats left on their doorsteps. The dogs also chase the smaller kids around in the afternoons and evenings. They also tear into the garbage left outside the dumpsters and spread it around the property as well. All this makes for a real mess. I have tried animal control and here in Houston, they are next to worthless. They employ 2, I repeat, 2 dog catchers for the entire city. On top of that, those 2 only work a couple days a week. After weeks of trying to get the Bubba Brigade with dart guns out here to catch a few of these animals, they came. 3 hours later they left with 2 dogs. The oldest and slowest of the pack. Now they have had puppies again and reinforcements are here. Meanwhile the city is nowhere to be found. They flat out told me, there wasn't anything more they could do for me other than pick up dead animals or caged animals. However if I was caught killing the dogs then I would be in trouble. And they won't rent me the traps they have nor does anyone in town seem to sell large dog sized traps. Help, I'm being overrun, need reinforcements.................
View Quote
Get the cheapest Paintball gun you can find with a gas regulator, start at a low velocity, around 300fps or so. See a stray pop it in the rear if you see it again turn up the gas, and pop it again. Thats how i rid my yard of stray cats. But than you have to contend with the likes of the PETAphiles. Otherwise call the cops the strays constitute a community safety and health problem, and the police are responceable for the safety of the community, if they can't or won't do something go to the city health dept. if they won't do shit go the the state wildlife dept. and try to get them to.....Idea! There wild animals, there stray the puppies are wild, so anylaws regarding killing domesticated animals are null if the state DNR agrees with you you should be able to get a permit from them to shoot them(the dogs) as nusince animals, or since they are non protected game species you may be able to get premmision to pop them from the police if the DNR says go ahead. My grandparents had a problem with dogs that were strays, and the puppies they had about 10 all together, they like you were getting the BS runaround from everyone and their mothers sisters brothers uncles. It was only a chance conversation with a game warden that gave them a solution, but they do live in the country so it was a bit different.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:38:50 AM EDT
I think hes referin got CB caps. little quiet 22 shorts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:40:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By u-baddog: Will they even take them if you trap them and bring em to them ?
View Quote
They say they will pick them up if they are trapped, may take a week, but they say they will.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:41:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:43:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slumlord: Can't shoot 'em, can't poison 'em ........................What to do?
View Quote
Poison is good, who said anything about no poison? Oh, I thought you were talking about the (Aborted) Dead Celebrity Pool [:D] NsB
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:44:04 AM EDT
For God Sakes, don't use a crowwbow. Some cat turned up here with a bolt thru it's neck and the liberal PETA freaks went ballistic for days. Even posted a 5K reward for info about the shooter.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:46:05 AM EDT
Fortunately or unfortunately the property is located inside city limits. So technically its a $500 fine for shooting here. I don't mind killing the dogs so long as I can do it legally. Don't need the headache that would come from being charged with cruelty to animals or shooting illegally. PLEASE HELP BUT DON'T GET THIS THREAD LOCKED WITH ILLEGAL IDEAS!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:54:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 8:01:33 AM EDT by Cato]
Ever considered something else than killing them? Bothers me that people care about their own pets but treat strays as scum. A little scizophrenic, isn't it? As you already realised, as long as they are able to produce puppies, there will be even more strays. The only solution is neutering. Try to contact one of these groups: [url]http://www.uexplore.com/directory/txnokill.htm[/url] or [url]http://www.felinerescue.net/speuter/sntexas.htm[/url] Regards Cato
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:58:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cato: Ever considered something else than killing them?? Bothers me that people care about their own pets but treat strays as scum. A little scizophrenic, isn't it? As you already realised, as long as they are able to produce puppies, there will be even more strays. The only solution is neutering. Try to contact one of these groups: http://www.uexplore.com/directory/txnokill.htm Regards Cato
View Quote
Get real. You going to go down there and help him out? I didn't think so.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:03:33 AM EDT
Mix some sleeping pills in Alpo. Dispose of as you see fit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:04:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slumlord: Fortunately or unfortunately the property is located inside city limits. So technically its a $500 fine for shooting here. I don't mind killing the dogs so long as I can do it legally. Don't need the headache that would come from being charged with cruelty to animals or shooting illegally. PLEASE HELP BUT DON'T GET THIS THREAD LOCKED WITH ILLEGAL IDEAS!!!
View Quote
Slumlord I was serious about the talk to the state wildlife department. If they give you the ok to shoot an nusince animal within city limits there ain't shit the police can do about it. I don't know what it's like by you but here if we call the police and say a dog is acting aggressivly twords people they [b][i]have[/i][/b] to come and check it out. Just remember that if someone gets hurt by those dogs it could mean your ass. So we can give you a million ideas but its up to you to actually do something.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:05:19 AM EDT
Build a pen big enough to hold 10 at a time. Live trap them and keep them locked up in the new pen. Call animal control to come get them. If the delay is really bad, call one of the local stations and tell them the story. The city hates those news reports that make them look like crap. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:07:31 AM EDT
FatMan, yeahh, a few phone calls to at least try to get help from animal welfare groups- that is really something one can't afford.[V]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:12:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cato: Ever considered something else than killing them? Bothers me that people care about their own pets but treat strays as scum. A little scizophrenic, isn't it? As you already realised, as long as they are able to produce puppies, there will be even more strays. The only solution is neutering. Try to contact one of these groups: [url]http://www.uexplore.com/directory/txnokill.htm[/url] or [url]http://www.felinerescue.net/speuter/sntexas.htm[/url] Regards Cato
View Quote
While the original animals were strays, the puppies that have been born, after that are all ferral, there all wild animals. There is a differance between my pets and wild animals even though they are the same type of animal. It would be nice if the warm and fuzzy way worked out but in this case with the number of animals it won't. It's like saying hey lets tranq and than give BC to the deer so that way there won't be that many deer car collisions(while over half the deer tranqed end up dying. Other than wasting tax payer monies,it really doesn't do you any good. Go ahead and have the strays nutered and spayed, they will still be running around, or they sit and wait for someone to adopt them,chances of that hppening are slim at best because they are wild animals and than they have to be put down.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:18:49 AM EDT
Are you telling me one generation is all that is needed to wipe out the genetic seed of 6000 years breeding dogs?? To turn a dog into a wolve again?? Come on!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:20:01 AM EDT
In G'ville FL, animal control will pick up strays if you trap them. The one great thing is they also have a 24 hour drop off at their front gate. You take dogs or cats 24 hours a day, drop them off in one of their cages, fill out a form if you like and take off. Since you have a serious problem, I suggest that you buy a trap, trap the suckers and if your pound will let you, drop them off. I live in the country and folks are always dumping their pets, like I don't have enough problems with the armadillos & possums & coons. So I trap them by the dozens and haul them to the pound. Beats digging a hole all the time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:22:37 AM EDT
Top Top