Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I never joined the army, so maybe that doesn't give me the right to comment in this thread. But I have a comment on decision making:

1) I remember seeing something about decision making which basically said "Once the decision is made, go for it unless it becomes absolutely clear that the decision was the wrong one". This has helped me a lot in making major life decisions. Once you made a decision, try not to second-guess yourself unless lots of red flags are waving themselves high.

2) Have enough self confidence to not seek validation from others. You are planning to do what you see is the right thing, don't try to substitute being well liked for self confidence.

I'm a habitual overthinker/second guesser (which makes me good at my job) which unfortunately is also coupled with a lack of self-confidence, so this stuff is hard for me too.

ETA: What about 13T
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A hint, don't be a dick to your Doc or any Doc in the service.
Your free PSA for the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Know how I know you won't hack?

Because you already have second thoughts and you haven't even signed anything. That's also how I know the Marines are gonna tell you to get fucked.

Plus waivers aren't as easy to get as they were 8 years ago.

Just go back to the basement and tell people on the internet how you almost joined after the war was over.

Well now I have to join ( if I can) just to prove this fuck head wrong.

Especially if he is a wiccan who has a purple cloak, and dagger, and a big crystal he chants to every night before lights out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you already have second thoughts and you haven't even signed anything. That's also how I know the Marines are gonna tell you to get fucked.

Just go back to the basement and tell people on the internet how you almost joined after the war was over.

I usually treat everybody with respect and I know they will be the ones that say yes I can join or no I can't. Even if I do get turned away I won't have that regret of not trying but I really do hope that I can join.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You can always be a cav scout , theyre basically just like infantry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you want to do in the Army?

Whats your GT score(if you took the ASVAB)?

Lots of opportunities, just have to decide/see whats available to you.

Im still not sure what I CAN do, I have an injury that could make it so I can't go infantry which is kinda what I wanted to do, is tanker infantry?

I'm not sure what my GT was but I remember my overall score was a 66 which i guess is decent

And I was a Cav Scout for 4 yrs

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good advice

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im still not sure what I CAN do, I have an injury that could make it so I can't go infantry which is kinda what I wanted to do, is tanker infantry?
I'm not sure what my GT was but I remember my overall score was a 66 which i guess is decent

https://media.tenor.co/images/8a4a99d3bd67ba8d9a025c36edf4a624/tenor.gif

It's the worst of both worlds!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.tenor.co/images/8a4a99d3bd67ba8d9a025c36edf4a624/tenor.gif

Yep, 11B and 19D  here.
If I had to do it all over again I'd have just done 11B

OP, I'm telling you, Army Infantry and Korea.
YOU CAN DO IT!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep, 11B and 19D  here.

YOU CAN DO IT!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, 11B and 19D  here.

YOU CAN DO IT!

That's cold man.  But, there's always a possibility OP will like Soju, juicy girls, unidentified meat on a stick and not being able to enjoy any of it because they're locked down for 9 months because some idiot did something.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What you never heard of a strap on?
View Quote

Y'all are cold. 
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

thats my fetish!
View Quote

Baby...come Baahhhck. I got's my velcro chaps on, baby, jus fer ewe!!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure to get your stress card from your recruiter when you sign.
 They do not issue them at reception any longer.

Then ask to train at Leonard Wood or Jackson  Cause you definitely want to train with female soldiers.  

Go Army!!!  Just do it,
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's cold man.  But, there's always a possibility OP will like Soju, juicy girls, unidentified meat on a stick and not being able to enjoy any of it because they're locked down for 9 months because some idiot did something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, 11B and 19D  here.

YOU CAN DO IT!

The guy is from Montana. I mean fuck, Korea is an improvement. He'll get to think about, but not actually, fuck a juice/drinky girl, instead of thinking about his neighbor's sheep.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just got done talking to an Army recruiter and I told him id join. I didn't sign any papers or anything but I have several waivers to get to. Did I just make a great decision? A fucking awful one? Tell me about your experiences.
View Quote

How old are?
Why do you want to join?
What are your career ambitions in the military? Is it a stepping stone to other things in life?
Have you looked at other military branches, Air Force, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard?
Have you already graduated from college?

I have no military experience. Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I just got done talking to an Army recruiter and I told him id join. I didn't sign any papers or anything but I have several waivers to get to. Did I just make a great decision? A fucking awful one? Tell me about your experiences.
View Quote

I can tell you this. At this point if you don't you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you did, and second guessing your decisions if you don't. Joining is the worst decision that you'll ever love. It fucking sucks and yet you'll look at it as the greatest thing you ever did.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:52:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Heh,

I took the OP's username as bi-gal and figured she would go as far as she wanted but probably more suited for the NAVY or Air Force.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Heh,

I took the OP's username as bi-gal and figured she would go as far as she wanted but probably more suited for the NAVY or Air Force.

View Quote
she said its big al, keep up

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're supposed to do that after you get to basic training.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's just like prison. Walk in and hit the largest recruiter right in his ugly ass face to establish dominance.   Probably a good idea to make a joke about fucking his mom/tranny/gf or whatever he's into as well.

You're supposed to do that after you get to basic training.

"Don't blame me,  blame your recruiter"

---Every Drill Sergeant ever.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, OP is in Montana, so probably busts for smoking the reefer and fucking a sheep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They are accepting waivers right now? For what?

Well, OP is in Montana, so probably busts for smoking the reefer and fucking a sheep.

When I think of Montana I think of meth before weed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:23:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
do not believe a word they say they LIE! get EVERYTHING in writing, and READ everything before placing your john handcock on the paperwork!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 2:25:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Peacetime Army, no thank you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I never joined the army, so maybe that doesn't give me the right to comment in this thread. But I have a comment on decision making:

1) I remember seeing something about decision making which basically said "Once the decision is made, go for it unless it becomes absolutely clear that the decision was the wrong one". This has helped me a lot in making major life decisions. Once you made a decision, try not to second-guess yourself unless lots of red flags are waving themselves high.

2) Have enough self confidence to not seek validation from others. You are planning to do what you see is the right thing, don't try to substitute being well liked for self confidence.

I'm a habitual overthinker/second guesser (which makes me good at my job) which unfortunately is also coupled with a lack of self-confidence, so this stuff is hard for me too.

ETA: What about 13T
View Quote

That's REALLY good advice.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 3:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Peacetime Army, no thank you.
View Quote

My last firefight was just over 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#23]
The other services will pick your job for you. At least in the army you have a choice and a say in what MOS you want. You made a fine decision it's to easy really. Hopefully, you will be accepted. I have served now for 14 years active the time goes by fast.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#24]
You'll get to rape and pillage your way through the Middle East, what's not to love.
Not to mention you get all the blood oil you could ever need.

We get paid in blood oil and blood dollars, they're worth more than regular oil and dollars.
It's how we afford all those cool V6 muscle cars, ricer burners with badass exhausts and lifted trucks with sweet rims.
It's also how we afford multiple wives children and divorceses
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I am very proud of my active duty airborne infantry time.  And I am proud of my infantry National Guard time.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Post your address in Basic so I can send you cookies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Better under Trump than Hillary......relax, had those same feelings in 1983 when I did it.....turned out to be the best 7 years of my life. Study for the asvab, score high and get an MOS you can use after you get out to make a living.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]
You are probably too tall.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Just go ahead and sign the papers OP and make the most of it.  You'll regret it later in life if you don't.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I hated it. Did my time and got out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You realize we (Marine Corps) have tougher ASVAB requirements, PT, height/weight, tattoo, drug usage, and moral policies to even join right? It's wayyyy harder to get the opportunity to become a Marine eat all that paste and those crayonsthan it is to become a Hooah
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My username is big all which is weird because I'm not really big just a nickname I've had for forever. I know I'm not sworn in or anything and I know there's a chance I won't be able to join but I have this really good feeling but also this buyers remorse type feeling. I have been looking at the marine corps but I'm not sure after talking to this army recruiter.

I don't think the Marines can take you if you can read.  If they start to advance, just throw a copy of The Cat in the Hat in front of them and watch them freeze like wildebeest confronted by a predator.

Go Army!  Go 19K Tanker (not fucking 19D unless you like spurs, chaps and sodomy) for one enlistment.  Get all your HOOAH! out.  After that you can keep tanking and destroy your body or reup for an MOS that has a real world job skill.

You realize we (Marine Corps) have tougher ASVAB requirements, PT, height/weight, tattoo, drug usage, and moral policies to even join right? It's wayyyy harder to get the opportunity to become a Marine eat all that paste and those crayonsthan it is to become a Hooah

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#32]
1. Do what you want to do in the military.
2. Do not sign for more than 4 years.
3. 1st year, just immerse yourself in the job and Army. Learn everything you can about being a soldier and your job.
4. 2nd-3rd year: Find a college that has a degree program you are interested in. A real college..not some "only online" Bullshit. Start taking online courses for that major at said college with TA. Only take 1 at a time and look at the fucking training schedule.  It will be posted and you will be able to see pretty far down the road if anything is coming up that would prevent you from taking a course.  Also, talk to your team leader and ensure there isn't random shit you aren't tracking because you are new. The goal isn't to complete the degree. The goal is to use the "free money" to get classes done..so when you GTFO, you can finish up the degree quickly.
5.If you do sign the papers, you can start learning basic soldiers skills. Phonetic alphabet, rank structure, proper ways to talk to a superior, both NCO/Officer...
6. Go to the range if you want..but don't take what you learn there as the end all be all. The army has been killing people for a long time. Just take what they say and apply it.
7. Realize now, that you are signing up for a job that you will only do about 25% of the time. The other 75%, as a private, will be spent cleaning, formations, getting smoked, bullshit online courses, and overall dumb shit that has nothing to do with your job.  "It is what it is".  
8. If you go Infantry, realize your life exists in two places. The Barracks, where you clean weapons and do details(busy work). The field...where you are outside, regardless of weather...doing long movements and lots of physical repetitions of different tactics and techniques a squad and platoon employ. It's not easy.
9. Enjoy yourself. Make friends. Don't be an asshole and don't be an angry drunk. Don't be a moral standard bearer and don't be a wierdo that spends all day playing video games online, away from the platoon.
10. Save your fucking money. This is going to be the hardest thing for you to accomplish. Going out every weekend is an easy thing to do. Buying a new car because every single fucking military base is surrounded by people who want your money..and can get it...Don't be that guy.

11. Fuck you...get used to it..fuck stick.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All my experiences were before this liberal progressive shmuck turned us into the Rainbow Coalition in camoflauge so I'm not sure my experiences would be able to help you.
View Quote

same here
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
do not believe a word they say they LIE! get EVERYTHING in writing, and READ everything before placing your john handcock on the paperwork!
View Quote

What's a handcock?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't think these safe spacers  could spend a night in a WWll  barracks and no hot water    
Quoted:
All my experiences were before this liberal progressive shmuck turned us into the Rainbow Coalition in camoflauge so I'm not sure my experiences would be able to help you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Serve your nation, selflessly.  Sign for 3-4 year enlistment. If you like it, stay in. If not, get out but serve well. It's your duty as a citizen. 21 years here.....11C, 18B, 18F, 18D, 18Z.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Is it big Al or bi gal ?

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:18:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you really want to go in the service, I would suggest Air Force.  I know there is much hate here but you will find that the AF is a faaaar better place to serve, with outstanding food and a lot better treatment.  Most of the military occupations are technical but if you want combat arms stuff you could try for the Security Forces (formerly Air Police/Security Police) where its much more like infantry but without having to sleep in your own filth in the dirt and weeds for weeks on end.  Also the women are way hotter.
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are accepting waivers right now? For what?
View Quote

For damn near everything.  Tats, Tranny, weight, drugs, criminal history, health issues, etc.

If you ain't Cav, you ain't shit!
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#40]
First off thank you for volunteering.

In order to answer your question I need to know what your ASVAB score was.

if you're going open contract to 50-50 mix. You might end up someplace awesome, you might end up someplace hellish.

If you have a good  score and you joining the Army,  see if you can get into intelligence, drones, communications, crypto, airwing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote
This.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Nerves about a life changing decision are to be expected. And this will change your life.

I can't quote it (too long), but read bagofcrabs63's post just above this about five times. Memorize it.

Be careful with "one time" decisions you have to make early on. When I came in, they wanted $100 a month for a year to take the GI bill. It hurt, and a lot of people didn't take it. BAD decision. This new retirement option is an even bigger minefield. DO NOT assume the government is doing things in your best interest. The original VSI/SSB(?) was sucker bait to give members with 12 to 16 years in the service about $25K before taxes to get out. Tens of thousands took it...insanity. Every single friend I had that went that route said it was one of the biggest mistakes of their life. Saved the GOVERNMENT hundreds of millions.

RESEARCH your MOS exhaustively. Some jobs pay big bucks on the outside, so the mil has to pay bonuses throughout your career to retain you.

Once you're established, study for promotion. Hit school hard in the years you have a line number, hit college hard in the years you're not promotion eligible.

26 year retired CMSgt (yea, AF, fuck off) here. Travelled the world, had a blast, got a Masters, worked in $$$ industry for four years after the mil...perm retired at 55 now and loving life.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#43]
OP if you are already second guessing it, dont waste anyones time.

Quoted:
Is it big Al or bi gal ?

View Quote

Its both
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Whatever you do, don't swear in until after January 20th.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nerves about a life changing decision are to be expected. And this will change your life.

I can't quote it (too long), but read bagofcrabs63's post just above this about five times. Memorize it.

Be careful with "one time" decisions you have to make early on. When I came in, they wanted $100 a month for a year to take the GI bill. It hurt, and a lot of people didn't take it. BAD decision. This new retirement option is an even bigger minefield. DO NOT assume the government is doing things in your best interest. The original VSI/SSB(?) was sucker bait to give members with 12 to 16 years in the service about $25K before taxes to get out. Tens of thousands took it...insanity. Every single friend I had that went that route said it was one of the biggest mistakes of their life. Saved the GOVERNMENT hundreds of millions.

RESEARCH your MOS exhaustively. Some jobs pay big bucks on the outside, so the mil has to pay bonuses throughout your career to retain you.

Once you're established, study for promotion. Hit school hard in the years you have a line number, hit college hard in the years you're not promotion eligible.

26 year retired CMSgt (yea, AF, fuck off) here. Travelled the world, had a blast, got a Masters, worked in $$$ industry for four years after the mil...perm retired at 55 now and loving life.
View Quote

They aren't doing the $100 thing a month anymore IIRC...or at the very least, are working to phase it out and everyone active duty only gets post 9/11 depending on join date.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#46]
are you Big Al or a Bi gal? These things matter if you're trying for direct commission.

ETA: Damn it, beat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You've done nothing at this point. There's a good chance they don't even want you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My username is big al which is weird because I'm not really big just a nickname I've had for forever. I know I'm not sworn in or anything and I know there's a chance I won't be able to join but I have this really good feeling but also this buyers remorse type feeling. I have been looking at the marine corps but I'm not sure after talking to this army recruiter.
View Quote

so much disappointed,  I thought it was Bi -Gal
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Good luck OP, for when you actually join.  

Do it.  Do it now.

Quoted:

If by "destroy your body" you mean get fat from shitty PT, stress eating, and no downtime even though you never actually do anything, then you would be correct.  I have a 19K SMOS so im allowed to speak the truth around here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go Army!  Go 19K Tanker (not fucking 19D unless you like spurs, chaps and sodomy) for one enlistment.  Get all your HOOAH! out.  After that you can keep tanking and destroy your body or reup for an MOS that has a real world job skill.

If by "destroy your body" you mean get fat from shitty PT, stress eating, and no downtime even though you never actually do anything, then you would be correct.  I have a 19K SMOS so im allowed to speak the truth around here.

lol.  I got gray hair like 2 weeks after being assigned to an armor unit.  I had been in a couple airborne infantry units prior that in Bragg and Italy.  It was a culture shock, to say the least.  I can't really disagree with the above.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#50]
I was in Army MI and hated every second of it. My DD214 is my most prized possession. I imagine that the day I got out of the army is what getting out of prison feels like.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top