Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/1/2003 6:40:11 PM EDT
I rented a digital camera on the dive boat - a small sony with a housing, but no external strobe or anything. I've never taken underwater pics before, so they mostly suck (and since it was overcast weather, the light was not as good as it could have been). But if anyone is interested in diving, I thought I'd post them. The pics are from three different dives - a few from Holmes Reef in the Coral Sea, and the rest from two sites on Ribbon Reef #3 on the Great Barrier Reef. Here's the link (there are four pages total). [url]http://www.olin.wustl.edu/faculty/langfred/pictures/diving1/[/url] Enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:43:52 PM EDT
Sweet! I'm gonna have to try that some day[:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2003 6:47:43 PM EDT by Winston_Wolf]
... Nice pix, I'd guess 70 to 80 feet, right?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:47:00 PM EDT
Did you find Nemo? [img]http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/5692_002_thumb.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:49:54 PM EDT
Ida panicked and likely died about a second after I saw that shark.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:56:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Winston_Wolf: ... Nice pix, I'd guess 70 to 80 feet, right?
View Quote
You'd think that, since the red part of the spectrum seems to be washed out - but most of these pics are from the 25 - 45 ft range. I had a red filter, but didn't use it since I wasn't taking pictures below 60 ft. I was a littl surprised myself. I need to get a fancy graphics package, like photoshop, so I can adjust colors, hue, etc, and try to get a slightly more realistic look.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:27:56 PM EDT
My wife has the Extreme Elle. Great BCD. She loves hers. I like the pics looking up to the surface. Reminds me of one of the most serene times in my life -- laying on my back in 50' of water off Cozumel watching (and hearing) the rain pour down on the surface. I have a few pics (not digital) of our 130' sport dive which are incredible.... So, what did you think and what were you feeling when you saw the shark? I was surprised at how calm I was seeing 6' eels, barracuda, etc. at fairly close range. Once I was breathing underwater, I was all of a sudden "comfortable" with the creatures down there. But, then again, I've never seen a shark.... [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:39:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Corey: My wife has the Extreme Elle. Great BCD. She loves hers.
View Quote
Has she ever had the weight pockets fall out? It's happened to my fiancee twice now, and she's thinking about getting the new Dacor model that has the clips in addition to velcro.
So, what did you think and what were you feeling when you saw the shark? I was surprised at how calm I was seeing 6' eels, barracuda, etc. at fairly close range. Once I was breathing underwater, I was all of a sudden "comfortable" with the creatures down there. But, then again, I've never seen a shark.... [:D]
View Quote
Sharks actually don't bother me, since I've convinced myself that they never attack divers. Swimmers in murky water and surfers need to worry about sharks - not divers in clear water. Plus, the sharks you generally see on reefs tend to be harmless species like nursesharks and reef sharks, which (to my knowledge) have never attacked humans. It turns out that only about 12 of the 350 species of shark have attacked humans, and almost all of those attacks have been accidental (i.e. mistaken identity). Then again, I might not be as confident and cocky if I saw a great white, a full-grown tiger shark or an oceanic whitetip. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:20:32 PM EDT
I call BS! Heck I could'a faked all of those photos at the aquarium. Next we'll be seeing photos from your trip to the moon. Cool pics.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:31:03 PM EDT
Thanks for the cool pics! Did the cuttlefish change colors for you?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:24:42 AM EDT
Cool pics. Australia must have been great. Diving is one of the things I miss about living in Virginia. We live close to the ocean but there is nothing to see. Its just not worth it unless you travel ,No reefs, just sand and sea grass.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:33:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 6:34:42 AM EDT by Corey]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Corey: My wife has the Extreme Elle. Great BCD. She loves hers.
View Quote
Has she ever had the weight pockets fall out? It's happened to my fiancee twice now, and she's thinking about getting the new Dacor model that has the clips in addition to velcro.
View Quote
We've never had that problem, and spent a week winding our way through the swim through passages in Cozumel's reefs. And our local lakes are low-viz dives where the biggest challenge is keeping out of the dive flag rope, lights, weeds, etc. She is around 100 pounds, so there isn't much weight in the pockets to begin with.... What kind of clips have been integrated into the newer model? I'm pretty such we don't have them (her BCD was purchased new in 1999), but will check later tonight. Corey EDITED to fix quote codes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:07:33 AM EDT
Nice pics. Thanks. You got the diving bug back into my mind. Sharks are cool, reef sharks won't mess with you if you give them space. I learned to dive with weight bags, other than in school I never had one drop. I normally dive with a weight belt,I just like them better,
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:11:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SeaDweller: Did the cuttlefish change colors for you?
View Quote
The cuttlefish totally changed colors - we came across a group of four on one dive, and some of them changed from a grey sandy color to much darker brown/orange colors - and you could see green/blue variations around their edges. Very cool. Also came across cuttlefish on a couple of other dives, but I only rented the camera for one day. Which was too bad, because we ran into Minke whales the next day - very cool.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:16:01 AM EDT
Hey...I thought mermaids didn't wear tops !! [:P] Looks like fun though. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:17:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Corey: What kind of clips have been integrated into the newer model? I'm pretty such we don't have them (her BCD was purchased new in 1999), but will check later tonight.
View Quote
Sorry I was confusing - the new model is called the Elite, and has clips like shown in the picture below (from Dacor's website). [img]http://www.divedacor.com/images/bcs_small_elite.jpg[/img] I get the impression that the velcro on the Xtremelle was problematic for some people (and not just my fiancee). But, if your wife doesn't keep a lot of weight in it, it'll probably never be a problem for her.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:20:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21: Hey...I thought mermaids didn't wear tops !! [:P]
View Quote
That's what I keep telling her, but she just won't listen! [;)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:36:08 AM EDT
Nurse sharks dont attack divers? Out of 195 shark attacks on divers 11 or 5% were by nurse sharks. I have been attacked twice by nurse sharks. It was nothing personal, they were after my stringer of fish. [url]http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/scuba/Shark/Shark.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 8:41:13 AM EDT by DK-Prof]
Originally Posted By captainpooby: Nurse sharks dont attack divers? Out of 195 shark attacks on divers 11 or 5% were by nurse sharks. I have been attacked twice by nurse sharks. It was nothing personal, they were after my stringer of fish. [url]http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Sharks/scuba/Shark/Shark.htm[/url]
View Quote
Ooops - shows how much I know! [B)] Great site, by the way - really informative. Thanks. Of course I don't attach bait to myself when I dive, so I might still be pretty safe [:D]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:41:31 AM EDT
[url]http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/species2.htm[/url] Check out the whole site ONLY if you want to scare yourself. I did a lot of research after my encounters.
Top Top