Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 11:02:42 AM EDT
In reading about the British MPs that recently were killed in Iraq after they ran out of ammunition, it made me think of a question. How many mags are carried by Army and Marines on a typical patrol? I realize the length and type of mission may play a part in this but on average how many 30rd mags are carried?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:11:09 AM EDT
I can not vouch for any other units policy, but I always carried at least 7 mags. 3 in each of the 2 ammo pouches and one for the rifle. Given an actual combat situation (I was unfortunate enough to not be in a unit which deployed) I am sure I would have found a way to carry more.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:11:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:19:58 AM EDT
A 'Basic load' is 210 rounds. What the soldiers are issued and how much they are carrying now might vary above or below that imigainary standard.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:46:15 PM EDT
I believe one of the marines or army guys, not sure which, deployed said he carries 10 with him on a regular patrol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:03:44 PM EDT
We were issued 6 30 round mags, and one bandoleer of ammo. That was standard for my Company and they were very strict about it. A few of us had spare magazines in our packs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:16:34 PM EDT
A "Basic Load" is 210 rounds, 3 mags each ammo pouch, 1 in the weapon...that's what I carried in Basic...after training and going to Bragg we all carried 4 ammo pouches instead of 2...couple of extras in the butt pack...etc when it comes to ammo, you can never have too much...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:34:08 AM EDT
I knew a guy who served in 'nam. He said he always carried as much as he could hump. He placed the number at 500-750 rds. Don't know about mags, though. "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 3:21:26 AM EDT
Despite the conventional wisdom that the "basic load" is 210 rounds, officially, it varies by mission, and 210 rounds and 2 frags is just a starting point (and, coincidentally, what most LBE/LBV that are issued tend to carry). In an ass and trash unit, 210 and 2 frags is usually the standard. Infantry in defense is supposed to carry three times that (if I remember correctly), and more in vehicles or a central point. I remember eading a breakdown in one of my issued references, I think it was FM 7-8, "The Infantry Platoon," but it has been a decade or so. The real combat load is supposed to vary by mission, and probably exceeds the "basic load" by a factor of three or four, more if you have vehicles.
Top Top