Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2003 7:05:02 AM EDT
One Person Killed, Two Injured after Street Race
4th Related Street Race Death in a month

CANOOGA PARK — One person is dead and two injured after a street race in Canoga Park.

Police say it's the fourth street racing-related fatality in the last month.

Yesterday night's crash happened around 9:45 p.m. One of two cars racing north on Winnetka Avenue slammed into a vehicle turning left onto Roscoe Boulevard from southbound Winnetka.

The passenger of the street racer was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver and a person in the other car were taken to area hospitals. Their conditions were not known late last night.

Last month, two teens were killed while racing in Sun Valley, and, in another racing-related accident, a 78 year-old man was killed. Days later, three people were injured while racing an SUV.

LAPD Captain Greg Meyer points to the movie "2 Fast 2 Furious" as a factor in the recent street-racing deaths. The movie was released last month.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
dumbasses should learn how to drive..
they probably wrecked while trying to double clutch like big bad Vin Diesel...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Darwinism claims another victem
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
No shit.

A couple weekends ago, I was coming back into town from a shoot.  It was about 9 or 10 on a Sat. night, so the traffic on the highway was light.  This a-hole punk in a bone-stock (at least from the outside) 90-94 Honda Accord 4-door, comes tearing around the highway, doing at least 110.  It was bad enough that he was going at a dangerous speed on crappy (probably) tires, but to top it all off he had to weave in and out of EVERY car on a 4-lane highway!!!  He cut me off by a foot, and did the same to all of the cars in front of me.  Instead of using the open lane on the far left, which would have been too easy I guess...

If I had to place a bet, I'd say that 2 Fast 2 Furious had just let out at the movie theater I had past a couple minutes ago.  I'm not for sensorship, but I wouldn't cry a tear if that movie was taken out of the theaters.

BTW, I have never had to try so hard to restrain the urge to 'turn' a car as I had that day!!!  Luckily he was going too fast for me to do anything stupid.  But one little tap to the rear quarter panel would have been really satisfying! [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of two cars racing north on Winnetka Avenue slammed into a vehicle turning left onto Roscoe Boulevard from southbound Winnetka
View Quote

Unprotected left turn pocket. The driver turning left has the obligation to yield to all traffic close enought to consitute a hazard. Even if that traffic is speeding/racing. The driver turning left is at fault, not the racer.

Additionally, the article does not say what kind of cars were involved. It may have been a race between a Mustang GT and Camero Z28, in which case you should be screaming for a ban on mullet wearing trailer trash.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Additionally, the article does not say what kind of cars were involved. It may have been a race between a Mustang GT and Camero Z28, in which case you should be screaming for a ban on mullet wearing trailer trash.
View Quote

Good point. There's been a lot of Mustangs and Cameros accidents it seems. A few months ago, a Mustang was involved in an accident in Dana Point. A few weeks ago, a Mustang hit a Civic with five people in it.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of two cars racing north on Winnetka Avenue slammed into a vehicle turning left onto Roscoe Boulevard from southbound Winnetka
View Quote

Unprotected left turn pocket. The driver turning left has the obligation to yield to all traffic close enought to consitute a hazard. Even if that traffic is speeding/racing. The driver turning left is at fault, not the racer.
View Quote

I disagree somewhat.  If you're turning onto a road with a speed limit of 25, you look and see a car way down the road, and then turn - is it really your negligence that you didn't take into account that the car down teh road MIGHT be going 120 mph in a residential zone?

I don't know if that was the case, but I'm just wondering if it's automatically the driver turning left's fault - regardless of extreme circumstances.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Before the movies, street racing was already abundant and many lives had been lost in it's midst.

This is nothing new folks.....move along.

Some fast cars, some slow intellects....doesn't matter if there was a movie out or if this was 1955, on the dirt roads in Ohio...they will race on the street; consequences be damned!

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]The driver turning left is at fault, not the racer.[/b]

farging BULLSHIT!

i don't give a flying fig what yer codebook says.

ALL the "fault" and 110% of the blame lay squarely on the shoulders of the MORON(s) flying up the PUBLIC road at racing speeds.

NO ONE can reasonably be expected, especially at night, to discern a pair of headlights approaching them at the speed those toyboyz drive on public roads! NO ONE!

the left-turning vehicle may get a failure to yield citation...but his lawyer and he will hit the jackpot when the real balance beam of justice hangs in the civil trial.

mark my words.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dumbasses should learn how to drive..[red]
they probably wrecked while trying to double clutch like big bad Vin Diesel...[/red]
View Quote

Dat's sum funny shit.

Did they have a 3x5 of Dominic Toretto on their dash?

This article doesn't point to rice, it could've been a domestic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point. There's been a lot of Mustangs and Cameros accidents it seems. A few months ago, a Mustang was involved in an accident in Dana Point. A few weeks ago, a Mustang hit a Civic with five people in it.  
View Quote

You can fit 5 people in a civic?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#12]
One thing I have noticed in my years of driving on public roads is that a lot these mofo's simply can't judge a car's oncoming speed.  Whether it be from the front or back.

These assclowns look once if any and may see your car at point x.  If they bothered to look twice or a second longer they could gauge an estimate of your approaching speed.  But whether they can calculate the time it takes to make their turn in time is another story.

Sounds like this is how James Dean bit it.  Some farmer dude in a truck pulled a left right in front of him.

[B]BAN LEFT TURNS![/B]

I've also noticed a lot of fckos that make a right turn on red without checking to see if there's any oncoming cars.  How do I know this?  Because these assclowns always manage to pull a right turn right in front of me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Just remember that those late model F-body Camaro/T/A/Firebirds have the black box.  As well as late model Vettes.

If you're racing someone and crash they WILL extract that info.  Bottom line, you be fcked!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Must've been one of those college frat pranks.  Guess they didn't have a VW bug handy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[b]The driver turning left is at fault, not the racer.[/b]

farging BULLSHIT!

i don't give a flying fig what yer codebook says.

ALL the "fault" and 110% of the blame lay squarely on the shoulders of the MORON(s) flying up the PUBLIC road at racing speeds.

NO ONE can reasonably be expected, especially at night, to discern a pair of headlights approaching them [red]at the speed those toyboyz drive on public roads![/red] NO ONE!

the left-turning vehicle may get a failure to yield citation...but his lawyer and he will hit the jackpot when the real balance beam of justice hangs in the civil trial.

mark my words.
View Quote

Campy:

What if it turns out this was a 'Cuda and a Chevelle??  I assume the above was meant as a "kids these days" kinda comment....

FWIW, I bet it was an Altima and an Integra...but still.

So guys, anyone remember before Integras and Altimas, and Civics {not CVCC's} existed??? You used to read and see on the news:

"Mustang 5.0 t-bones family"
"Camaro Z28 MuscleCar kills family of 5"
"Trans-Am Firebird kills driver and friend"

I'm sure before that it was:

"'Cuda runs into bus kills 6"
"Chevelle and Mustang wreck in street race"
"Nova II and Dart kill six spectators at local street race..."

I'm sure you older guys remember....hell my dad and grandfather both remember it....it's the boys and their "race cars", not anything else.

My old roommate told me about the kids in Ohio and Michigan too poor to own cars used to race their International and Deere tractors for cash...some would race the old beat up farm trucks around the farm roads between the houses.....kill cows and sometimes themselves.

If it's got wheels and a motor you can almost bet there is some form of racing going on somewhere with it......
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fast cars are Dangerous and should be banned.  I can't see why anyone needs more than a minivan or perhaps a chevy 4 door or something like that.  They should ban high horsepower high speed cars with racing motors to protect the children.
View Quote

This is the most overplayed and unfunny joke on this site.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, but muscle cars and pony cars aren't as annoying as a million civics with K&N filters and an oversized exhaust tip...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh come on guys, how effing old are you? I'm only 24 and I'll be the first to tell you I drove like an absolute fucking moron as a teenager. 132pmh in a 45mph isn't too swift eh? I can only imagine what some of you assholes would have said had I bought it. If your mind isn't too feebl think back to when you were 17~19 years old for a second.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, but muscle cars and pony cars aren't as annoying as a million civics with K&N filters and an oversized exhaust tip...
View Quote

I'm sure the old timers in the 60's and 70's said the same thing about the 3+ million Mustang's sold, or the 3+ million Camaros/Firebirds sold...

[oldtimer]Damn kids, they think their '67 Mustang is hot shit with that glass pack -- hell my '49 Merc with blah, blah, blah...[/oldtimer]

Get real.  Realize you now likely sound like your dad did with you, and what his dad sounded like with him.....etc etc etc.....

I agree a 4-cyl motor unrestrained by anything other than a pipe and a coffee can is a bit annoying audibly....not all Jap cars, nor street racers are sporting this look....

That big trial that had the street racer killing the two sweethearts in the Geo Storm was driving a souped-up Charger IIRC.  Complete with hood cutout and supercharger poking out...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]What if it turns out this was a 'Cuda and a Chevelle??[/b]

what difference would the brand/type of car make? ferrari? yugo? the racerjerks would STILL be fucking morons.

[b]I assume the above was meant as a "kids these days" kinda comment....[/b]

you assume incorrectly.

[b]FWIW, I bet it was an Altima and an Integra...but still.[/b]

i'll see your altima and raise you an eclipse.

[b]Oh come on guys, how effing old are you?[/b]]

twice your age and then some.

[b]I'm only 24 and I'll be the first to tell you I drove like an absolute fucking moron[/b]

remember, you said it, not me.

[b]as a teenager. 132pmh in a 45mph isn't too swift eh?[/b]

"not too swift"??? more like, "darwin candidate".

[b]I can only imagine what some of you assholes would have said had I bought it.[/b]

not personally knowing you and reading the account in the newspaper, i would have said, "better you than an innocent person on that road.".

[b]If your mind isn't too feebl think back to when you were 17~19 years old for a second.[/b]

i thought it was a fucking moronic thing to do on a public road back then and i STILL think that only fucking morons race on the streets.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Racing on the streets = endangering innocents, no matter what you drive.  There is a time and a place for speed.  Has nothing to do with 'old-age', it's a matter of respecting human life, and respecting objects that can take a human life.

Racing at 100+ through busy city streets is the equivalent of blasting through a 30rd mag in a crowded shopping center IMHO.  Sure you're aiming at the target you strategically placed at the Orange Julius across the way, but what happens if someone gets in your way???

Quoted:
Get real.  Realize you now likely sound like your dad did with you, and what his dad sounded like with him.....etc etc etc.....

I agree a 4-cyl motor unrestrained by anything other than a pipe and a coffee can is a bit annoying audibly....not all Jap cars, nor street racers are sporting this look....

View Quote

No, no, you're getting me all wrong here.  

When I say annoying, I don't mean annoying as in "that rattle trap exhaust sounds like a lawnmower" annoying, I'm talking annoying as in "souped up Hondas annoy the car lover in me."

I just think that most of the pimped out Hondas and imports are cheesy and not 'cool' in my books.  With a few tastefully done sleepers, perhaps being the exception.

Sorry to insult the ricers, but different strokes for different folks...

BTW, I am very embarrassed to admit that I owned a Honda with a couple mods many years before this big craze hit.  I actually hate fads, and when something becomes uber-popular I usually jump ship fast...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

[b]Oh come on guys, how effing old are you?[/b]]

twice your age and then some.
View Quote

[:D] Then you remember the heyday of MUSCLE CARS!

[/QUOTE[b]I'm only 24 and I'll be the first to tell you I drove like an absolute fucking moron[/b]

remember, you said it, not me.
View Quote

Yep, catching 4th gear in a 4 banger isn't an easy task [BD]

[b]as a teenager. 132pmh in a 45mph isn't too swift eh?[/b]

"not too swift"??? more like, "darwin candidate".
View Quote

Nope I'm still here and thank GOD the car never left the pavement, save a few hops over the hills.

[b]I can only imagine what some of you assholes would have said had I bought it.[/b]

not personally knowing you and reading the account in the newspaper, i would have said, "better you than an innocent person on that road.".
View Quote

I'd agree with you, however if you met me today I doub't you'd have guessed me for a wild ass driver. (ADAM_WHITE is forbidden from speakling[;)])

[b]If your mind isn't too feebl think back to when you were 17~19 years old for a second.[/b]

i thought it was a fucking moronic thing to do on a public road back then and i STILL think that only fucking morons race on the streets.
View Quote

Moronic, stupid, ill formed decision, whatever you call it, boys will be boys and that won't change, it's happened with nearly every internal combustion engine ever developed. From the flatthead V8 to todays Twin cam, OHV etc, flux capacitor this blah blah blah. It won't change.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#24]
The worst thing about learning not to drive like that is that you have to actually go through the learning process,  thereby putting yourself and others in danger unnecessarily.

I commend those who managed to learn quickly and without serious incident.

To those who still race on the streets:  GROW UP BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE!!!

CJ
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Racing on the streets = endangering innocents, no matter what you drive.  There is a time and a place for speed.[RED]Agreed.  Did I disagree? [>:/][/red]
View Quote

Quoted:
Has nothing to do with 'old-age', it's a matter of respecting human life, and respecting objects that can take a human life.[red]This other sentiment has to do with old age, the whole "rice" thing is age shining through.  FWIW, I also find that whole fad annoying @ 28yo.  So it doesn't take much age to make it annoying, but I let them do what floats thier boat...knowing full well that I have a car that is quieter and faster than theirs.  They KNOW IT too....that is the "cool" thing.  I do, however, drive faster than 55mph on the highway sometimes as fast as 90mph.  Not racing, not even trying to be in a hurry.  What is the magic number folks? Is 75mph too fast?? Is 80?  Is 80mph in a snow storm too fast, how about a perfectly clear day??  The artificial limit is 55mpg or 65mph here in Virginia.  I go faster than that A LOT, as do many others.  The highways were super-elevated for 75mph with cars sporting live axles and drum brakes.  Let's get real gentlemen...I do not race on the street, but is it really the speed, or the stupidity that does them in??  I mean 75mph on I-95 seems like I am the slow one...[/red]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Shivan,

The first part of that reply was mostly directed towards PONY_DRIVER, but I was too lazy to pull a double quote.

I think we are in agreement here, for the most part.  Speed isn't necessarily going to kill, being an idiot is far more dangerous.  I'd rather a person blow by me at 110 in fast lane on the highway than some jerk-off cutting me off by inches while going 65.  But when someone is going 110 (in a car with tires that are probably not speed rated for 110), AND cutting me off by inches for no reason, that's when I have to restrain my violent tendencies...
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, it sounds like you can fit 10 people into a civic; two in the front, three in the back, and THOSE five in the ashtray[;)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
In VA. there is a law that states that if you are speeding, you forfeit you right of way, BTW.
Saved my skin once.

MM419
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Shivan,

The first part of that reply was mostly directed towards PONY_DRIVER, but I was too lazy to pull a double quote.

I think we are in agreement here, for the most part.  Speed isn't necessarily going to kill, being an idiot is far more dangerous.  I'd rather a person blow by me at 110 in fast lane on the highway than some jerk-off cutting me off by inches while going 65.  But when someone is going 110 (in a car with tires that are probably not speed rated for 110), AND cutting me off by inches for no reason, that's when I have to restrain my violent tendencies...
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fast cars are Dangerous and should be banned.  I can't see why anyone needs more than a minivan or perhaps a chevy 4 door or something like that.  They should ban high horsepower high speed cars with racing motors to protect the children.
View Quote

"Out of my "Cold dead hands"...[;D]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14295[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top