Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 5:46:39 PM EDT
I just picked up a new rifle. It is a Sendra preban 16" XM15 carbine. It is unfired since new in 89 and I bought it from John Ross, the author of "Unintended Consequences".
I want to shoot it. Would you?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it!  It'll be just another rifle in a year and two months anyway!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it!  Safe queens are for fags! :)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot the fvcking thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
If your a collector then take it out once a year and smile at it but if your a shooter then go out and play with your toys they ain`t no fun in the safe
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd hit it!

er, I mean ... I'd shoot it! I'd probably put a new upper on it, but I'd shoot it.

Pics?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot first...ask questions later.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#10]
It comes with a letter and autographed copy of his book.
I am going to shoot it, believe me.
Its a gun, duh.
I collect guns. Guess why? 'Cause I like to shoot 'em.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Me walking around a gun show trying to sell a Norinco SKS:

"You've heard of Chairman Mao?  This SKS used to belong to his barber."
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
If the gun has value based on who owned it, then I would think its condition won't be that important, as long as it's not a total rust heap.

If you have Jesse James' revolver, and the barrel is worn, and it won't group worth crap anymore, it's still not junk.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#15]
A texas made Colt Dragoon pattern revolver (made for the Confederates, was shown on Antiques Roadshow this past year.  It was in non-working condition with cosmetic damage to the backstrap, broken percussion cap nipples and non-functional lockwork.  It's value was appraised at around $40,000 and the owner was advised not to attempt repair.

Now personally, if I could get it's internals exposed without affecting the condition of the screws, finish, etc. I might be inclined to have a competent gunsmith (experienced at such antique revolvers) to attempt to restore the gun to function, so long as doing so would not involve changing any parts, etc.  At the least, conservative care to ensure the revolver doesn't degrade any further would be worthwhile.

Now, as far as the Sendra is concerned, I might be inclined to mount a different upper to prevent degrading the original, but on the other hand, why not shoot it?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
If I had something like that sitting in my safe I'd be thinking, "I'll bet it's a sweet shooter."

After taking it out for confirmation I'd be thinking, "Yep!  It's a sweet shooter!"

I think you're making this more complicated than it has to be.  Give in to your primal urge.  Slap in a mag.  Pull back on the charging handle.  Are you ready?  OK.  Press the bolt release.  SMACK!  Isn't that a satisfying sound?  All right, bring it up to your shoulder...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top