Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 2:48:29 PM EDT

In a conversation with a driving instructor today he calimed that to avoid getting a speeding ticket on your driving record, the trick is to overpay by about $10.00. He claims that when they try to balance thier books they will have to refund your overpay, and will not process the ticket until you cash the reimbursement check. The trick is, do not cash the check. They will trash the ticket after a while and forget it.

Now, tell me, does this work? Have you ever tried it? Or is it just a unfounded rumor????  fullclip
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
No,  it does not work.  You send the city extra money here,  they just keep it. Even if they sent you a refund, the check voids after 180 days anyway.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, as a licensed auto insurance agent in 35 states, I can tell you "BS" on that one, good buddy.  Trust me, we can find out ALL of your tickets, claims, etc.

Hell, if any of you ever want me to, I can check your MVR and CLUE for you, gratis.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never heard that one ... have you heard the one about the height of the speed limit signs?

[:D]
View Quote

Citing that a traffic control device (sign, signal, etc) does not conform to the MUTCD can be a valid defense against a citation.

[url]mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov[/url]

fullclip;  Don't send anyone to that instructor, he's an idiot.

As an instructor, I make it a rule not to discuss legal matters with students.  Sounds like he should do the same.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Notice [b]racer934[/b]'s effective use of the word "can" in his post. Always check your state and local statutes for amendments and exceptions to the MUTCD.

[beathorse]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Notice [b]racer934[/b]'s effective use of the word "can" in his post. Always check your state and local statutes for amendments and exceptions to the MUTCD.
View Quote

I should have bolded it [:D]

If a sign is 0.5" too high or too low, probably a good chance you will eat the ticket.

However, if a speed limit on the sign is 12 MPH, good chance you can beat it.  However, I have never seen an official state sign posted in single mph increments.  I have seen private parking lots posted at 8mph two feet off the ground, tho.

Also, very important to read specific state statutes regarding signage, especially speed limits.  Many state's will "adopt" the MUTCD methodology for speed limits, but usually put a catch all that the DOT, etc., can cite other factors to come up with the safest speed limit for highways and may not conform 100% with the MUTCD.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Check on [url]www.snopes.com[/url] I believe they wrote an article covering this false urban legend.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top