BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 129
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m no HSLD operator but what I do know is I have close to 1K suppressed rounds down the tube on my 6.5 rig with zero stoppages, FTF, FTE, whatever else you can think of.  Home built 6.5 Aero upper and lower, BA 12.5” barrel, SiCo Hybrid. I can’t remember what spring and buffer I installed.

My shooting with this gun is primarily killing hogs at night.  Having said that, I’ve done more than a few “just for fun” mag dumps with both ELDM and Wolf steel with no issues.
View Quote
Damn lucky.jpeg

I have issues with probably 20% of my Grendel mags.  Absolutely love the caliber.  Mags suck
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What keeps me from considering this as a serious use round are the mags.
View Quote
C-Products 10rnders work perfectly for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Just for fun, someone with a 17 round E Lander that doesn’t run, IM me and I’ll send you one of mine that does. You send me your faulty one and we’ll see what happens.

(This isn’t a “call out”, I’m just curious.)
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just for fun, someone with a 17 round E Lander that doesn’t run, IM me and I’ll send you one of mine that does. You send me your faulty one and we’ll see what happens.

View Quote
And prove what? People ask if there's reliability issues with grendel mags. 7 out of 10 people say mags suck. So do you just go into it hoping the stars align and you luck out? I feel like it's pretty safe to say the odds of having mag issues is high. Like higher than giraffe pussy high.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And prove what? People ask if there's reliability issues with grendel mags. 7 out of 10 people say mags suck. So do you just go into it hoping the stars align and you luck out? I feel like it's pretty safe to say the odds of having mag issues is high. Like higher than giraffe pussy high.
View Quote
You might need to try decaf. I’m just throwing it out there to see what happens. You appear to have an agenda
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You might need to try decaf. I’m just throwing it out there to see what happens. You appear to have an agenda
View Quote
Yes my agenda is I love grendel's but I and everyone I've ever met in person has yet to say flawless and grendel in the same sentence. I highly recommend people getting one just be aware your probably going to have mag problems.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Out of 3 different 12" Grendels using 2 different types of barrels and 4 different types of magazines, none of us have had any malfunctions.

All have been run suppressed with 3 different cans.

Mine has a Faxon 12", TBAC Ultra 5 30 Cal. and I've shot it with both the Maxim PDW brace with tiny buffer and stiff recoil spring, as well as standard carbine buffer/spring/RET with SBA3.

The other has a Faxon 12", TBAC Ultra 7 30 with Maxim PDW brace/ tiny buffer/stiff spring.

The other has a PF Bartlein, an OSS with Hk PDW stock kit and buffer.  Shoots bug holes at 100yds and sub-MOA out to 925yds.

Mags include CPD old, CPD new exaggerated curve, Elanders, and ASC.

Ammo includes everything from 90gr TNT Federal, to 107gr SMK/8208XBR hand loads, to 120gr Federal Match, to 123gr SST, 123gr AG, 123gr ELD-M, 123gr SMK, 123gr Scenar, and 129gr ABLR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, after much ruminations, questions, and ponderings, my Grendel is done. The hardest part was finding a 1 inch mount with a 20 MOA cant. I seriously thought it would be easier.

BA 20 inch barrel with a geissle ssa-e trigger. It liked the 123 hornadys better than the 120 fusions which is the exact opposite of what my buddy’s rifle likes. Best 5 round group at 100 is a little over an inch. I was hoping for better but all things being equal I’m still satisfied with it. My son and I are going to hang out at GA Precision’s range this weekend so hopefully we can tune it up and get dope to 1K.

Best 123 group:

Best 120 group:

Link Posted: 9/20/2019 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ill take you up on that
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok, after much ruminations, questions, and ponderings, my Grendel is done. The hardest part was finding a 1 inch mount with a 20 MOA cant. I seriously thought it would be easier.

BA 20 inch barrel with a geissle ssa-e trigger. It liked the 123 hornadys better than the 120 fusions which is the exact opposite of what my buddy’s rifle likes. Best 5 round group at 100 is a little over an inch. I was hoping for better but all things being equal I’m still satisfied with it. My son and I are going to hang out at GA Precision’s range this weekend so hopefully we can tune it up and get dope to 1K.

Best 123 group:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/173B5022-5D28-4999-B002-78EEA5B61C4A-1096780.jpg

Best 120 group:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/266317/10A6372B-8958-4D76-B6C0-419B00FDB26B-1096782.jpg
View Quote
If you want better accuracy, get a SAAMI chamber and a pipe spun up by a good company or smith who knows Grendels.

There are a ton of conventional freebore barrels out there being passed off as SAAMI spec, that just barely shoot around 1 MOA or worse because they don't control projectile alignment into the lands.

I have yet to see a SAAMI chamber in a quality pipe that doesn't shoot amazingly well, some rivaling most of the higher-end bolt guns I've seen.

To be honest though, a barrel that will group 1.5 MOA is fine for ringing 2 MOA steel out to 1000yds.

I personally get a kick out of rapid-firing a string onto steel at distance with very small groups that simply wouldn't be possible with other rifles that have more recoil and muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you want better accuracy, get a SAAMI chamber and a pipe spun up by a good company or smith who knows Grendels.

There are a ton of conventional freebore barrels out there being passed off as SAAMI spec, that just barely shoot around 1 MOA or worse because they don't control projectile alignment into the lands.

I have yet to see a SAAMI chamber in a quality pipe that doesn't shoot amazingly well, some rivaling most of the higher-end bolt guns I've seen.

To be honest though, a barrel that will group 1.5 MOA is fine for ringing 2 MOA steel out to 1000yds.

I personally get a kick out of rapid-firing a string onto steel at distance with very small groups that simply wouldn't be possible with other rifles that have more recoil and muzzle blast.
View Quote
Yeah, I think I'm just a little spoiled from how my AR10 Creedmoor turned out.  140gr factory ELDs turn into one ragged hole at 100 yards with it.  Example: (ETA - that one hole on the right is from a previous string)

Really, for the money I've got into it I can't complain.  I set out to build an inexpensive, light rifle so my son can tag along with me to sniper matches and that the whole family can use as a deer rifle.  I think I've accomplished that.  Even the 120 Fusions group well enough for a deer, and I think our 1K targets hover around 3 or 4 MOA so he'll be fine.  I'll do some load development for it and probably tighten those groups a little that way.  Sierra should have their 123 SMKs in their seconds bin by now so I'll grab a couple pounds the next time I pass through Sedalia.

Speaking of which, what's a good load for the 123s?  Anyone know what replicates Hornady Black's load?
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone use the  Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer for 6.5 Grendel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone use the  Little Crow Gunworks Worlds Finest Trimmer for 6.5 Grendel?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
thinking about getting into grendel again.

anyone have one of the BA 16" spr fluted barrels? was thinking about trying that out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm trying to scope my Larue UU 6.5 Grendel on a budget. Trouble is I'm looking for a scope and reticle that'll do it all. Precision, hunting, lightweight, not too big, yet still rugged blah blah blah. It's a do it all rife cartridge it needs a do it all scope. That scope is probably either the Nightforce 2.5-10 NSX, or the NX8 2.5-20, or Leupold Mark 5 or 6. None of which are currently in my budget. I'm trying to keep it in the $500-700 range, and I'm fine with pre-owned.

I've narrowed it down to the Burris XTR II 2-10x42 Mil, and the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50. Don't love the Vortex 3-15, or the Burris 3-15. Anything else I'm missing? What would you recommend between the Burris and the Athlon?

Thanks for any thoughts...
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm trying to scope my Larue UU 6.5 Grendel on a budget. Trouble is I'm looking for a scope and reticle that'll do it all. Precision, hunting, lightweight, not too big, yet still rugged blah blah blah. It's a do it all rife cartridge it needs a do it all scope. That scope is probably either the Nightforce 2.5-10 NSX, or the NX8 2.5-20, or Leupold Mark 5 or 6. None of which are currently in my budget. I'm trying to keep it in the $500-700 range, and I'm fine with pre-owned.

I've narrowed it down to the Burris XTR II 2-10x42 Mil, and the Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50. Don't love the Vortex 3-15, or the Burris 3-15. Anything else I'm missing? What would you recommend between the Burris and the Athlon?

View Quote
I would recommend you save your money and get something good. A budget optic is a no go.  You would be better off having a cheap rifle and badass optic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]
After trying one this past weekend, I bought a Leupold vxr 3-9 patrol for mine. Nice optic for the cash.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
See if you can find a Vortex HD LH 2-10x or even the 1.5-8x. There  might be  a few kicking around in that price range still. The glass on those scopes is very nice. I use a Leupold 2-7x VXR Firedot on my 12.5" Grendel upper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:06:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After trying one this past weekend, I bought a Leupold vxr 3-9 patrol for mine. Nice optic for the cash.
View Quote
I have tried 3 scopes on my Grendel and finally went with a Vortex 3-9.  The range seems to work perfectly for a hunting rig and ringing steel out to 600.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to have one of these. They are quite nice, they’re light, and I loved the fire dot except that it covers the bulk of 1 inch square at 100 yards, and I wanted a bit more magnification.

Truth is, I probably just need to choose whatever and put something on the rifle until I can afford what I want to put there.

I’ve had a Leupold vxr patrol, vortex 3-15 and Burris 3-15. I wanted more mag range and higher precision than the Leupold offered, less size, and cluttered reticle than the Vortex 3-15 and less size and weight than the Burris 3-15. When push comes to shove I want a mil based reticle that leans more toward precision and less toward hunting which rules out the Vortex razor hd 2-10.

There just really isn’t much of anything in my current price range.

ETA: I have the 18” barrel and want to see how far I can stretch it out, but don’t want an optic so big I can’t carry the beast.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 7:04:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I used to have one of these. They are quite nice, they’re light, and I loved the fire dot except that it covers the bulk of 1 inch square at 100 yards, and I wanted a bit more magnification.

Truth is, I probably just need to choose whatever and put something on the rifle until I can afford what I want to put there.

I’ve had a Leupold vxr patrol, vortex 3-15 and Burris 3-15. I wanted more mag range and higher precision than the Leupold offered, less size, and cluttered reticle than the Vortex 3-15 and less size and weight than the Burris 3-15. When push comes to shove I want a mil based reticle that leans more toward precision and less toward hunting which rules out the Vortex razor hd 2-10.

There just really isn’t much of anything in my current price range.

ETA: I have the 18” barrel and want to see how far I can stretch it out, but don’t want an optic so big I can’t carry the beast.
View Quote
I believe They have changed the reticle. According to the page now it covers .40 moa/.012mil, and is red instead of the green.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally finished my 12” XCR Grendel pistol build.  This will be my deer gun this season.

Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Very nice! How's she shoot?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks!!  Great I hope.  Haven’t shot it yet.  Hope to soon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked at the pics before reading and got really confused at what kind of AR that was

Nice looking rifle!
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I looked at the pics before reading and got really confused at what kind of AR that was

Nice looking rifle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice looking rifle!
Many thanks.  Now I gotta go shoot it and get it zeroed for deer season.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#27]
My LaRue can't group for shit with hornady black and a 1-6.5x scope. I guess I'll try different ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My LaRue can't group for shit with hornady black and a 1-6.5x scope. I guess I'll try different ammo.
View Quote
A number of people have had lackluster results with that ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I can get some Federal 130s locally, hopefully those work in LaRues.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best factory ammo I’ve seen is the Sportsman’s Warehouse exclusive Hornady American Gunner 123s.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The best factory ammo I've seen is the Sportsman's Warehouse exclusive Hornady American Gunner 123s.
View Quote
That is what has grouped the best for me.  SG Ammo now carries it as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Worst ammo I've tried. 123 SSTs and Amax shoot really good.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmmm...the targets I posted above were from hornady black and Federal Fusion.

Maybe I should go buy a box of everything and see what does best.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OTM or ELDM Black?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OTM or ELDM Black?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OTM or ELDM Black?
ELDM. Though I did buy a box of OTM by accident that I haven’t shot yet.

Our local academy has a decent selection. I may need to swing through and get a box of everything.

Or conversely, does anyone have a good load for the 123 SMK?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, fresh back from the range after trying a couple more loads for the Grendel. But unfortunately, I couldn’t get the groups tightened up.

The 123 BTHP Black was all over the place. It was more of a pattern than a group. Here’s the best 5 out of it:

The 123 SST wasn’t bad and wasn’t awesome.

And then I did another group of the 123 ELD just to make sure I was being consistent in my shooting, and it grouped about how I expected.

I guess the good news is that now I’ve got enough brass to start load development on this thing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The best factory ammo I’ve seen is the Sportsman’s Warehouse exclusive Hornady American Gunner 123s.
View Quote
Others have it now, I’d check SGammo and Target Sport. Really wish they would return to the old price of $139, or even better yet when it went on sale for $109.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Others have it now, I’d check SGammo and Target Sport. Really wish they would return to the old price of $139, or even better yet when it went on sale for $109.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was an amazing price.

It’s almost $200/can at Sportsman’s now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it was on sale I went to three stores and bought all they had. Which wasn’t enough
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just ordered one from lax ammo for $149.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I found some Hornady 123gr SSTs.  Surely they will group better than the Hornady Black, at least I hope,
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I found some Hornady 123gr SSTs.  Surely they will group better than the Hornady Black, at least I hope,
View Quote
SSTs are my favorite black the worst.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#43]
FYI

Sierra 107 TMKs at mag length
Hornady brass
CCI small rifle primers
28.4-28.6gns of AR Comp yields 2632fps +/- 10fps in an 18” Alexander Arms barrel. This was a 90* day at 150’ above sea level.

So far I’m very happy with the combination, it also runs much cleaner than previuous powders

Anxious to do some accuracy testing
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone try these Nosler Custom Competition Bullet bullets for 6.5 Grendel ?

Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I was going to until I found the 107s I mentioned in the post above. They have a .455 BC compared to the .506 of the 123 ELD-X, I gained 180fps over the 123s
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
FYI

Hornady brass
CCI small rifle primers
28.4-28.6gns of AR Comp yields 2632fps +/- 10fps in an 18” Alexander Arms barrel. This was a 90* day at 150’ above sea level.

So far I’m very happy with the combination, it also runs much cleaner than previuous powders

View Quote
Report back on accuracy, if you don't mind.  I shoot a lot of .223 TMKs with great results. I tried some of the Defender Ammunition with the 107 TMKs in my 12.5" and didn't get great results (a little under 3 moa in a barrel than can shoot under 1.5). SD was 35 fps, so it could be the loading. I would expect that bullet to be very good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Thinking of converting my blackout to a Grendel pistol. Is the 12” Faxon good to go?

I mainly shoot Factory Hornady 123 SST ammo right now through my 16” AA barreled upper.

Will be using this upper for deer and hogs out to a possible 200 yards max with a SDN6 and possibly going to experiment with the new Sightmark Wraith.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
FYI

Hornady brass
CCI small rifle primers

View Quote
I run 123 ELD-M's with AR Comp, I was super surprised at how clean it burned. Also produces good SD's and groups as well.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I run 123 ELD-M's with AR Comp, I was super surprised at how clean it burned. Also produces good SD's and groups as well.
View Quote
Concur.  The powder/bullet combo is know to do well in most Grendels.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't group either.  I'm going to try shooting groups with KAC BUIS and if that doesn't work, I'm calling LaRue.
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top