Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/30/2003 8:26:18 AM EDT
We all (should) know the origin of that famous phrase... King Leonides of the Spartans to Xerxes of Persia at Thermopylae, after an offer of honorable withdrawl by the Persians if they lay down their weapons... Leonides tells the Persians if they want their weapons "come get them"...[b]Molon Labe{/b]. It's on the base of the statue at Thermopylae...the same one shown in the beginning of the "documentary" I saw on the Discovery Channel last night. Funny..."on your shield or with it" was mentioned as a "famous phrase of the Spartan women" by a greek historian... [u]No[/u] mention of Molon Labe. Journalistic laziness, or intentional oversight? (After the editing out of the Jesse James/mingun segment from a Monster Garage episode, I now wonder) (Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I just saw the episode last night, and got P.O.'d)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:32:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/30/2003 8:34:24 AM EDT by Zardoz]
I saw that, too. As entertainment, it was ok, but as a history lesson, it wasn't worth a shit. Never once did it mention the small detail that Sparta had [b]2[/b] kings, or that the 300 was Leonidas' personal bodyguard. On the other hand, it's the only show about Thermopylae that gave more than a passing mention to the other city-states' soldiers that were there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:55:01 AM EDT
I watched the whole thing and towards the end, when they should have brought it up, they didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been edited out in some way. [:(!] I watched a similar show a few months back, I think on the history channel, that was almost the same thing, but much more in depth. It talked about and explained the meaning of Molon Labe and showed it in the context of when it happened during the show. I'll try and find a link to it. A MUCH better program.
Top Top