Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've noticed that some people (black or white) change their speech depending on who they're talking to.  I'm pretty sure I let my "southern" accent get a little thicker around family than I do at work.  I had a black female supervisor once (best boss I've EVER had).  She talked perfect English (pronounced better than most people I know), but I heard her on the phone with a friend one time and had to look twice to make sure it was her.  She speaks really clear to her kids too - which is why they speak normal English quite clearly as well.
CR
View Quote

This is true. I remember on TV a black school principal being interviewed. His use of English was what we expected to hear from a college educated person. Then he was told that the school board differed with his point of view on an issue. He said "man, ah doan care wat a bunch ah white wemen sah!!" It was like listening to a completely different person, albiet someone from the ghetto!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Chief Moose, PhD [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody remember the 911 call with the guy requesting a BAMBULANCE?

[url]http://www.10-7.com/downloads/audio/audio.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Like some others have said, It is their surroundings. If you were raised and surrounded by folks speaking chine’s you would speak chine’s.

I went threw an electricians apprenticeship, that had a few blacks in it. The first year they did not do so well. Because of their speech patterns. As the years went bye and they were surrounded by mid west English speaking people they picked it up. But if you get two or more together they revert to ghetto. All of them have completed the apprenticeship. The few that picked up the dialect of the majority have done well. The others that think honki speak is uncool are lucky to stay employed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't forget sports "celebrities". When was the last time one had heard them conduct an interview using correct grammar. (without making it a joke, for ex. S. O'Neal)
View Quote

I heard David Robinson interviewed right after the San Antonio Spurs won the NBA championship.  He was articulate despite his excitement, not to mention modest and praising God for being so blessed.  Maybe his speech pattern has something to do with being a Naval Academy graduate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#7]
To reason as far as I know.
First it takes effort to learn proper enunciation.
Second reason is why should they have to do what da' man wants dem too? This also explains why when they are walking down the street/hallway/aisle they block the whole passage. Won't move out of the way for nobody, some women I have talked to ended up having to walk in the street since the "underpriviledge" refuse to give an inch. Of course the women were afraid (and I do not blame them at all).

For some it might really be some sort of speach problem, for most I believe they just enjoy making it difficult for everyone else in the world.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the "Aff-uh-kunn Kull-chhaah" we've been hearing about...what are you guys.....STUPID?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Because of MTV and BET...
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
ebonics! I CANT STAND IT!

IBTL
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It's considered "cool" among the youth to speak ebonics, and no one in the school system would dare to discourage it - they'd be branded a racist and lose their job.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
[size=4][b] FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME [/b][/size=4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top