Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 7:31:04 PM EDT
We arent much while we are alive. Physicaly, I mean. So what are we after we die? Just a bunch of memories right? Perhaps a name scratched on a tree and a headstone. Some photographs and printed records. Really, after we are dead, we are nothing but peoples memories right?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:34:11 PM EDT
Yup
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:35:59 PM EDT
Worm food.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:39:22 PM EDT
Mm-mm good. Just wait for the big crunch and you get to be back with everyone... sorta
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:39:31 PM EDT
We like to think that another part of us goes to another dimension or to a better place. We could also say that we continue to live on in our children since we share genetic material with them. In reality we are probably a bag of goo that becomes worm food.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:43:36 PM EDT
We join Allah! And all our suffering will be rewarded, you infidel!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:44:57 PM EDT
I mean what are we "here" on this earth after death. Not what happens to us after we die, but what ARE we after we die? When our body dies, what is there of us?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:45:08 PM EDT
Dead? Was I right? What do I win?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:47:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By markm: We join Allah! And all our suffering will be rewarded, you infidel!
View Quote
Plus you get an afterlifetime supply of pork rinds, sausage pizza and beer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:50:28 PM EDT
This is a serious question, please dont hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 7:58:27 PM EDT by Andreuha]
Seriously... (before I read through question, to physically part. Maybe add to the question? Allways interesting)Well, is one of two. A: We're like a piece of electronics (only much more sophisticated). When the lights go out, click. We're nothing. Our 'soul' becomes non-existant. No thought. Nothing. We do not 'exist' in the mental form. Physical form i need not explain. B: We all have souls/spirits. We leave this world and go on. Either through re-birth (Lots of cases of people remembering their past lives, and actually visiting people they once knew with the memories), Or there are many choices. A heaven would be a nice thought, But I dont think so (If so, then we'd all get a little punishment in hell for whatever we did, some more than others, then go on to heaven). Perhaps just another stage/dimention. Perhaps re-birth in a different species (Not necessarily a butterfly or cat, but perhaps a more sophisticated race [IE: an 'alien']). In any case, this is complicated, and from a purely scientific standpoint, A would be the correct choice. But as with plenty of examples of the re-birth in B, and a load of other stuff im too lazy to type up, I'd lean to the B area. What exactly happens to us, I simply dont know, and hopefully wont find out for a while. Physically... 'Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust'. We come from the earth, and we get returned back into the earth as a bunch of fertilizer or what be. Nothing more, nothing less. Memories are forgotten, and 99.999% of the earths previous population is just that. Forgotten building blocks of humanity.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:52:04 PM EDT
half forgotten memories, Most of us will just be something to mow around once a week. I can see why some want to build things that will go on once they are gone.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:59:34 PM EDT
after you're dead you'll be yourself, you'll just be together with your relatives and friends who've passed on before you. You are right in that you will be a collection of memories, learning and experiences. Your memories learning and experiences. If you want to have a good insight to what it'll be like when you die, read "The Message" by Lance Richardson. He passed into the afterlife and the book is an account of his experience. The book also includes some "proof" of his experience, i.e. while in the afterlife he interacted with people still here. So don't worry, after you're dead you'll be reunited with your loved ones and friends. Crash
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:59:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:34:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: I've thought about this since February when my friend off'd himself. We are just junk that we have collected that gets split up to whoever wants it. I now have possesion on my friends 4 guns, a gun case and a lot of ammo. At first I didn't want any of it, it felt ghoulish to take his stuff but then you realize that someone has to, it has to go somewhere. I told his mom right after we went in his house after he was gone to put everything in storage and she kept telling me that he wasn't coming back so what good would it do....it is very hard to understand at first. I have given my gunsafe combo to a member here should I not make it to tommorrow and he has instruction on who gets what gun and what ones are to be sold and the money given to my wife and mom. You guys should make sure you have someone like that, you don't want someone who doesn't know gun values selling your Colt preban for $500 when your family could have had $1500.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about that loss. 'Hope all turned out well. But atleast that property is in the right hands. What did you do with the guns BTW? This is what wills are for. But in any case, That never hurts to do. Also nice to have a shooting buddy(One of my distant relatives/close freind for me) who you can share all your combos and passes with. Someone who you'd let borrow whatever, and would get the same in return (IE: a TRUE freind).
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:40:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 8:42:19 PM EDT by bobbyjack]
You are nothing more than a complex bunch of elements held together by a water based case of dermis and epidermis,with a NEURO-system of fiber and nerves through a central nervous system! With one of the most complex hard drives (mostly unused) ever made,with a life force that can't be measured or contained! When you are out in your yard burning that oak camp-fire you are not destroying the wood you burn,but simply changing it into different elements again! So is the soul of man never destroyed,and it never grows old ,just the body that carries it about! As I understand it your friend wanted you to have his guns,and you can be sure every time you fire them his spirit(life force) is there with you! He would say from Heaven Above ROCK ON WOLFPACK! I hate it when a father leaves his guns to a son and he sells them,as he would have wanted his son to love them and use them just as he would! Just think how your body carried your soul around when it was young,jumped fences like a deer,ran with stick horses between your legs outrunning cars on dirt roads! But as your body grew old it no longer could carry your soul in the manner it deserved,yet it stayed with the diminished body till it was time to move own! Your friend was lucky to have one like you that shared his passion for guns(if not with life) so he lives on within you with his memories and guns! Take care of such,as both are priceless! Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 9:00:01 PM EDT by arrowbullet]
You live in a whole different state in heaven, and I'm sure noone knows but god. I sure hope your friend repented before he shot himself, because suicide is a sin. Oh, well, I feel sorry for your loss, and good luck.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:10:43 PM EDT
Sounds like a poll waiting to happen... Worm food--probably Ethereal spirit world---mmmm. maybe. reincarnation----don't know but I like this one. This way you get more than one chance to work your way to "heaven". Just doesn't seem fair that you get one shot with only the cards dealt you. I think I've lived a good life but I've got enough of a dark side that if my life had been a little different I could've turned into one mean hombre pretty damn easily. I didn't realize that when I was younger but I sure do recognize it now. My life has been anything but easy although I also realize just how blessed I have been when it came to the things that really matter. The book of Revelations has some pretty interesting things to say about it. Not what you will typically learn in most churches, FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:13:25 PM EDT
Dead.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:19:12 PM EDT
You live on in your family, especially if you have kids. They carry your DNA, your lessons, your wishes and to some extent your dreams. And when they have kids, it carries on. It's the closest we ever get to immortality, I believe. Being a good person matters. Imagine what part of you is your parents, as they touched and influenced you. That's what you do for your kids, and they for you, if you're at all lucky. Interesting question.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:34:10 PM EDT
I plan on rejoining my Creator and my Savior
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:54:45 PM EDT
In the end we're just dust and bones. Bodily speaking. TS
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:58:43 PM EDT
Dust in the wind..... all we are is dust in the wind. [BD]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:03:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: Dust in the wind..... all we are is dust in the wind. [BD]
View Quote
Dang, I saw the title and was gonna post that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:07:10 PM EDT
What happens to the energy caused by chemical interactions in our brains, known as thought or memory? Energy can neither be created nor destroyed so what happens to that energy? TS
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:29:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TigerStripe: What happens to the energy caused by chemical interactions in our brains, known as thought or memory? Energy can neither be created nor destroyed so what happens to that energy? TS
View Quote
That would be your SOUL, brother! Suffice it to say that my Christian belief leads me to think there's a great plan going on and much more to what we are and know in this earthly existence. If we had a glimmer of REAL LIFE, we wouldn't even want to be in this one. That's as far as I can go at this time of day. Good night & God Bless.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:35:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BusMaster007: That would be your SOUL, brother! Suffice it to say that my Christian belief leads me to think there's a great plan going on and much more to what we are and know in this earthly existence. If we had a glimmer of REAL LIFE, we wouldn't even want to be in this one. That's as far as I can go at this time of day. Good night & God Bless.
View Quote
I meant keeping in the spirit of the thread, physically. TS
Top Top