Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 8:13:23 AM EDT
Does anyone know where I can find BDU's that are synthetic and are not made with cotton?  I have been searching for BDU's in woodland, OD or some other camo type pattern that are not made from cotton.  Cotton is one of the least effective materials in wet and cold environments, it absorbs water like a sponge and takes a long time to dry.  A common saying in the backpacking community is "cotton kills".  Why the heck don't more companies offer synthetic materials in BDU's?  I must be missing something.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I dunno about what the backpacking community sayings,but I have a saying "Nylon Melts all over you in the event that your way to close to things that are on fire, inflicting horrible burns all over your body."

Now granted, there are some more fire retardant synthetics out there, but they would make for a pretty expensive set of BDU's

Having Spent a little time outdoors and carrying a pack, I would suggest to you that the backpackers saying ought to be "Cotton kills, provided you are silly enough to have brought only cotton and forgot all about basic thermal layering." Or maybe it should be "Gor-tex Saves." Because the one thing that no expirianced packer will ever be without, is a good parka (Winter, Summer, spring or fall if it looks like it will rain or not.)

I remember a novel written supposedly about an SAS unit, dropped in to look for SCUDs in the gulf war (I think the name of the book was Bravo 20 or something like that.) Anyway This bunch of SAS guys gets compromised and end up walking like half way across the Iraqi desert and it starts to snow and sleet on them. One of them eventualy dies from the elements. I remember thinking to myself Da*m, there guys are carrying like a hundred and twenty pounds of equipment and out of all of it, they did'nt bring a simple little thing like a Gor-tex parka. Call me silly, but I kind of think they would have been better off leaving a couple of pounds of that C-4 explosive at home and carrying a simple little thing lika a parka instead.

But thats just me...

All that being said your best bet, would most likely be Cabalas, they have a pretty wide assortment of Camo rain wear that may fit your needs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
its Bravo two three..and when they got trapped in the elements, they had lost all their gear by that time. so dunno what was in their packs, plus i dont think they prepared to stay out there that long
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I like the 60/40 cotton/poly blend.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a synthetic parka and base layers.  I am inquiring about synthetic BDU's not parkas, base layer clothing or catching on fire.  I will take my chances with getting burned to death vs. being unable to get warm because my clothes are soaked.  I tend to get wet while hiking much more than I get burned by fire.  I am sure that an SAS unit would be better off than me in a given situation anyway no matter what they had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top