Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 12:44:23 PM EDT
Can you use one to check how high the clouds are on an overcast day?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never tried it, but I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
No
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Winston, can you explain why? Is it too far or does the cloud absorb/scatter the light?
TIA
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
... Civilian market laser rangefinders must have a stable reflective surface to rebound off of, and well, most all clouds are too amorphous and too nebulous to record a good reading .
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in the laser/fiber optics industry so I have acces to several laser diodes and stuff.  If anyone has a damaged or broken range finder I would love to see if the laser could be upgraded (highpower) to increase the effective range.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, I have a Bushnell (I think) that is not damaged, but I would love to see if you could upgrade it. I an current using a Leica 1200 (you can't have it!). Email me if you are really interested in screwing around with one. Dennis
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
If you upgrade one of these things test it on an overcast sky and let me know if works. I would very interested.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
roptics,

At what point do you start getting into non-eyesafe lasers. I know the US and Russian military range finders are not eyesafe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top