Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 12:14:57 PM EDT
I cant recall if I have asked this already....

I start a job Monday in Richmond, Va.  What are the gun restrictions concerning carrying one in your vehicle?  In NC you are supposed to have the firearm in view....but, I never do...and I've never had a problem when pulled and I told the LEO I had a gun when the LEO asked...

Are the LEO's in Va easy going or should I go "by the book"?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You better go by the book ESPECIALLY if you're not a Virginia resident.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Hillybilly -

Welcome to Virginia!  I take it you're setting up permanent residence here?  I'm sure we'll meet later this year if so.  

The best place to find out about firearm laws is [url]http://www.packing.org[/url].  To give you a brief summary, Virginia is open carry for handguns.  This means a handgun can be loaded and "on or about your person" legally as long as an LEO can plainly see it ("not hidden from view" means 100% of the firearm is visible, with the exception of a holster).  Packing.org states an unlocked glovebox is okay, but I would lock it if you don't have a permit.  Long-guns should be unloaded and securly wrapped while being transported.  A Virginia concealed carry permit is very easy to get (depending on your background, etc.).  Let me know if you need training - I'm an NRA instructor in Richmond.  

LEO's in Virginia are typically very easy to get along with.  Richmond cops are a little more uptight, as they tend to perceive anybody with a gun in the city as a problem.  I've carried there for ~10 years now and not had a problem, though.  As in NC, state troopers are always a little gung-ho.  I imagine you'll be pleasantly surprised after living in NC, though.

Best of luck!

Black Fox
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top