Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/28/2003 11:16:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 11:48:56 AM EDT by SHOOTIN4FUN]
I have decided to make my next gun purchase a garand. I got to shoot one that a co-worker owns and it was awesome. I would be using this weapon for occasional target/plinking duty. I also like the history of this great rifle. My grandfather carried this rifle in WWII giving it even more meaning to me. I need advice on what to look out for when buying one also where I might find a good one. I have read the info on fulton armory.com about welded recievers and it made me want more info before I buy. Also is there a web site similiar to AR15.com devoted to the garand where I can go and suck up info.TIA
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:36:36 AM EDT
Get Scott Duff's book. (listed for sale on teh FUlton Armory website) Best advice I can give is to buy one from CMP. They tech inspect them, and if they sell you a buggered one, they keep exchanging it till you are happy. Check out this: [url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm[/url] Things to look at: 1. Tight gas chamber. Make sure its not slapping around on the muzzle end of the rifle. 2. Re-weld receivers (as you mentioned) 3. Don't fall for the M1C and M1D knockoffs (basically the scoped version) A true M1C or D should come with CMP papers, and run $2,500 or more 4. Take a 30-06 bullet, and insert it nose first into the muzzle. If it goes in all the way to the shell casing, you've got a worn muzzle. 5. Prepare for a new addiction [:D]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:43:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By garandman: Get Scott Duff's book. (listed for sale on teh FUlton Armory website) Best advice I can give is to buy one from CMP. They tech inspect them, and if they sell you a buggered one, they keep exchanging it till you are happy. Check out this: [url]http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/inspect.htm[/url] Things to look at: 1. Tight gas chamber. Make sure its not slapping around on the muzzle end of the rifle. 2. Re-weld receivers (as you mentioned) 3. Don't fall for the M1C and M1D knockoffs (basically the scoped version) A true M1C or D should come with CMP papers, and run $2,500 or more 4. Take a 30-06 bullet, and insert it nose first into the muzzle. If it goes in all the way to the shell casing, you've got a worn muzzle. 5. Prepare for a new addiction [:D]
View Quote
I'll second what g'man says, get one from the cmp. On the points he covered, if you get a service grade M1 from the cmp, #1 shouldn't be a big deal and is easily fixed, 2,3,4 are a non-issue, and 5, well I can't help you with that. Remember, with the M1 rifle, you just can't have one. [;D] my fifth M1 should be showing up in the next couple of weeks and that won't be the end.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:00:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the quick replies guys. All info is welcome. I like being an informed consumer. In fact Scott Duff's place is very close to my home (only about a twenty minute drive)if the address on his website is right. Maybe I should go there. I leary about buying at a show especially being a garand newbie. The cmp sounds like a good option but I lack the shooting results sheet. Where can I get one of these(a cmp shoot I imagine but where do they have them?)
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:00:45 PM EDT
Thanks garand man!
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 12:37:50 PM EDT by marvl]
Also check out [url]www.battlerifles.com[/url] Another good book is "Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine." You can order it from his web site [url]www.brucecanfield.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:54:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:55:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 1:17:37 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:59:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 1:00:08 PM EDT by cduarte]
hey, you're in luck. there's a garand match in PA in september. BTW, you only have to shoot 50 rounds in any competition, pistol or rifle. They've been pretty lenient about this. PA 09/28/03 CLUB GARAND MATCH Rifle-Garand Kimberton Fish & Game Assoc Eugene Latchford610-948-9280 Location: Kimberton F & G Assoc, Phoenixville, PA go to [url]www.odcmp.com[/url], it should answer all your questions about eligibility and affiliated clubs. You should also check out the M1 forum on [url]www.jouster.com[/url], there are many very knowledgable people there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:27:33 PM EDT
It depends on what your looking for in a target/plinking rifle. I've purchased from both fulton armory and the dcm(now known as the cmp). [b]You cant go wrong with either really.[/b] If your looking for a rebuilt cherry looking gun. fulton armory is your answer. If your more into function than appearance. A rebuilt gun from the CMP is the way to go. The only meaningful difference though. Is you actualy have to earn a CMP rifle.
Top Top