Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2003 10:17:37 AM EDT
[b]Boomholzer's[/b] thread about unsubstitutable name brand products has inspired me to ask, "What store brand products do you PREFER over the name brand variety.

I've been impressed with various H-E-B products since arriving in Texas almost 4 years ago.  To me,  H-E-B "Original" cola is as good as Coke or Pepsi, and their "Hill Country Fare" line of products can go toe to toe with any of the big boys, with the only exception I've found to be HCF sweet gerkin pickles are not quite as good as the Heinz.

Anyone else care to comment?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Fry's Cherry Cola.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Wal*Mart oil is made by Valoline.

Wal*Mart Anti-freeze is FirstBrands (ie Prestone).

and on and on and on....

Store brands are often the exact same thing, just a differant wrapper.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Sam's Choice Giant Pistachios (Wal Mart) kick the butts off of any other brand.  Cheap and nummy.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#5]
My flashlights, TV remotes, and other low-draw stuff live off of batteries from the dollar store.  4 AA's or D's for $1, and just change them every few months as needed.  TV remotes and other stuff need batteries even less frequently.

Galyan's house-brand shirts are pretty much all I wear... to work or for play.

For one-off projects where I want to keep investment to a minimum, I'm perfectly happy buying the cheap house-brand screwdrivers, drill bits, etc... from Menards or Home Depot.  Nothing puts a damper on a project like having to spend $20 for a tool that I'll only use once.

edit:  I also use Walgreens "Studio 35" film pretty regularly, although not exclusively.  It's made by Agfa, and I've had OK results with it.  I still prefer Fuji, though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing puts a damper on a project like having to spend $20 for a tool that I'll only use once.
View Quote

[b]Blasphemer![/b] I thought that was the whole purpose of "projects": to justify buying more tools.

About the only generic brand stuff that I buy regularly are paper plates, plastic forks, trash bags and other disposable items. If I'm buying something to keep, I'll only want to buy it once.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sam's Choice Giant Pistachios (Wal Mart) kick the butts off of any other brand.  Cheap and nummy.
View Quote
ditto. Someone once gave me a VERY expensive "can" of pistacios, they were NO BETTER than the cheap wal-mart brand
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Roundys cheese sprials beat out kraft any day
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top