Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 4:04:36 PM EDT
Hey I'm a first time reloader and looking for suggestions on some got beginners equipment for $250.00 to $350.00 dollars. Looking for something that I can reload most all handgun and rifle calibers in. Appreciate any help.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Dillon.

I have a 550 plus all my gear is Dillon.

Love it! Have loaded many thousands with no breakdowns.

There is a section here in the equipment exchange where people sell reloading equipment.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of Handloaders just use a RCBS Rock Chucker Press.

Dillon makes a sweet progressive Press..but they are somewhat pricey especially the accessories...

Whatever you do..BUY a LYMAN Reloading Guide, in addition to any other Reloading Manuals you get.

The LYMAN book gives you very detailed information on HOW to safely reload.

You don't need a Progressive Press with a lot of bells and whistles in order to turn out accurate handloads.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Dillon or Redding..

IMHO

MM419
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#6]
DILLON 550B.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Dillon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#8]
As a designated ammo r&d tech, I use rcbs presses, redding and lee factory crimp dies for ammunition that must work. Not the stuff that hobbyists and weekend shooters use.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Reloading isn't for everybody. Buy one of the Lee kits. If you like the hobby, upgrade at your leisure. Even if you go with a high end progressive, you'll find uses for that cheap Lee single stage. If you decide it's not for you, you're not out much money.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Rockchucker to start with and a couple of good manuals. The Sierra manual is a good one. You can get a progressive press after you gain some experience. You will still use the Rockchucker even if you have a progressive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 3:08:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Like many here I have a Rockchucker that I do my rifle rounds on, and a Dillon for my pistol rounds.
I believe that the pure O-frame press is stronger and would flex less when doing the rifle cartridges. The pistol cartridges are used in volume (need faster loading cycles.)  and are easier to form so I feel less concern about the turret flexing with them.
I have yet to get into high volume loading with .223 or 7.62 x 39 rounds, surplus is relatively cheap. I may change my tune if  gt into production loads for them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I can't believe nobody has asked this..
What do you want to reload for?  If it's bulk loading for general shooting, I'd say go with a Dillon progressive and nothing else.
If you're looking to work up customized handloads for super-accurate rifles or pistols, then you're going to want a single stage press, and for that brand is not terribly important.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
DILLON!  Now have two 550Bs on my bench and a heck of a lot of blue accessories to go with them.
RCBS is good stuff,  but a little expensive..
If you just want a kit to get started, Lyman and Lee are pretty good.  I still have a couple of Lee "starter" presses (the $19 ones) too.
I have used them to load .444 marlin and 45-70.  No problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top