Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2003 11:52:16 AM EDT
I want to be able to run 2 miles in about 15 minutes in one months time. Right now I can run one mile in about 8 minutes 25 seconds (yeah I know I am slow)
  Should I run everyday? and how much should I run 1 mile? 2 miles?
I have stopped drinking beer and soda and am going to limit the amount of time I was lifting weights because I don't think that really is going to help my running.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
ttt
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In order to get faster you need to run.

How fast you can run before red-lining is relative to your lactate threshold.  If you run above that threshold, you will crash and burn.

Trying to trim that much time in only a month will be tough.  What is your age?  Are you in reasonable shape now?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't run every day!

I had to do something similar last month.  I ran 3 days a week and walked 3 days. I wasn't in very good shape.  When I did my test my 1.5 mile time was 13:20.  I would suggest jogging 2.5 to 3.0 miles to prep for your 2 mile run

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
im 21 and in pretty good shape 5'9 155.

I guess I will try running and walking
last week I was running everyday and then I got really sore so I dont think thats a good idea.
How much walking should I do like if I run 1.5 miles should I walk 3 because walking is easier?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't run everyday, don't run the same distance or the same pace. Break up your routine and slowly increase the workout. Like run one or two days a week for distance, a couple of days varying the pace and one day a week you run 2 miles for time then some easy pacing to build up stanama. I'd suggest training for 1/2 hour a day for 4 days the first week, the second week, 45 minutes for 5 days, 3rd week 1hour/5days, 4th week 1.5 hours/ 5 days. The day before your "Test," relax, don't run and eat lots of pasta. Be sure to hydrate yourself the whole time!

Start out running a mile the first week each day and work up to over 2 miles by the end of the second week, after that run at least 2 miles each training day. You don't have to run the entire workout but do exersizes that keep your heart rate elevated. Keep track of your heart rate ( the 220 minus your age thingy). DO NOT OVERTRAIN! If you push yourself too much you'll hurt yourself instead of improve and might blow up on test day.

A Month is a little short on time but if you already have an exercise program now the shift to running shouldn't be too bad and you should be able to do it. Hell, you might be able to hit your goal in the 3 / 4 week.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
cool thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I am larger than average and run pretty slow myself.  I run three or four times a week at the most and walk other days if possible.

Some things I do that help break it up a little and improve times.  Run wind sprints, run a fast 200yds to 1/4 mile the walk a ways then repeat, I do four usually.  This condtions you to give max effort then recover then do it again.  I also go for a three or four mile WOG(a walk with jogging) once or twice a week.  Run 3/4 of a mile or so, walk a while and repeat.  Get used to doing more than the minimum and the 1.5 will fly by in a snap.  

It is better to take a day off before your timed event and be fresh the day you have to kill yourself.

I run anywhere from 3/4 to 2 miles when I run and it depends entirely on how I feel after the first 5 minutes.  If I am really dragging I just walk and the hell with it, the more you run the more you will like to run.  Thats what I keep telling myself anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top