Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2003 12:02:53 PM EDT
I originally posted this in the Legal section, but I think the scarcity of traffic there has let my question go unanswered. So I figured I'd try posting it here (slightly rephrased). So here goes...

Is it or is it not legal to remove importation marks that are stamped on all firearms imported into the United States?

I cannot find any reference to this particular subject.

All I can find is the GCA reference that requires all imported firearms to be stamped with an importation mark prior to sale (no reference to what happens afterwards), and a reference to the illegality of removing serial numbers from firearms (goes without saying).

But I can't find anything referring to removal of importer marks, specifically.

On CZ pistols, the importer mark is laser-engraved onto the right side of the dust cover of the frame. CZ pistols can come with a "polycoat" (spray and bake) finish (as well as others), and the importer mark is 'engraved' on top of and through the finish. If one were to strip the gun for refinishing, the importer's mark would most likely be completely obliterated.

If it was illegal to remove, wouldn't they have made it a bit more permanent than laser-drawing it on top of a coat of paint?

It is slightly confusing because the serial number, as everyone already knows, is illegal to remove. But any other manufacturer markings, such as the company's name and the pistol's model, can be removed. For example, you could mill off the "COLT M1911" on 1911 slide to make a 'slickside' pistol; there's no problem there.

But importation marks? For example, someone could mill off the manufacturer markings on the slide of an imported Sistema 1911. But could he also remove the importer markings?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen conflicting rules regarding the removal of import marks.  I've always assumed it was legally along the same lines as the country of origin on other products.  Mandated, until final purchaser.  However, it's better to be on the safe side of this one.  As I said, I've seen conflicting peices of code on this one...
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I wrote the BATF in Washington  about that very question last December.  I received the answer last week and they said that it was not unlawful to remove an inporter's identification marking but that it would be unlawful to remove a serial number marked on the firearm by the importer.  Importers sometime put a serial number on a firearm to avoid confusion with foreign lettering and numbers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
... but that it would be unlawful to remove a serial number marked on the firearm by the importer.  Importers sometime put a serial number on a firearm to avoid confusion with foreign lettering and numbers.
View Quote

Ditto that. I heard that a bunch of Hakims(?) or something like that came in frome the Middle East and the serial numbers were in Arabic, so people just didn't bother to put it on the 4473. BATF had all of those guns recalled and stamped with a serial number.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
WHy the hell do you want to remove them??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Prolly because he does not want them on there...   makes sense to me[:D]

USMC_LB
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Kinda like the seller of your automoble,if not needed for better ID just get rid of it!

Bob [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top