Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/25/2003 1:38:35 PM EDT
Several grenades impacted and exploded on the grounds of the US embassy in Monrovia, Liberia. A spokesman for the embassy confirmed the explosions which caused a mass panic, but didn't reveal any details concerning casualties. The compound is currently overcrowded with tens of thousands of civil war refugees.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:43:39 PM EDT
-v Shells Explode in U.S. Embassy in Liberia MONROVIA, Liberia (AP)--Shells exploded in a U.S. diplomatic complex in Liberia's besieged capital Wednesday, causing injuries among thousands of people seeking refuge as civil war engulfed Monrovia, a U.S. official said. A U.S. Embassy official said authorities had no details on the numbers of casualties, but there were no reports that Americans were injured. The embassy is across the street from the high-walled residential complex where at least three explosives landed. An Associated Press reporter and photographer at the scene felt the ground shake from explosions. It was unclear whether the explosions were caused by mortars or rockets. Some guards at the complex told U.S. authorities they had seen assailants with rocket launchers outside. Survivors ran past with wounded civilians--wheeling one bleeding young man out in a wheelbarrow and using a ragged shirt as a stretcher for another victim. The U.S. Embassy and sprawling residential complex are on a rocky hillside overlooking the Atlantic coast. The European Union compound is next to the U.S. Embassy. Earlier Wednesday, U.S. authorities admitted tens of thousands of refugees into the residential complex as rebels attacked the city with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and small arms, among other weapons. It marked the first time since 1996, during the height of Liberia's 1989-1996 civil war, that authorities opened the compound as a refuge for Monrovia's people. Witnesses said four people were trampled to death in the stampede to get inside the residential complex gates. The blasts then sent terrified throngs fleeing in the other direction. The U.S. Embassy has remained staffed after a voluntary evacuation by French military helicopter and warship took 530 civilians, mostly foreigners, out of the encircled capital earlier this month. U.S. Embassy officials said then they had ``enhanced'' security at the embassy and residential complex, which already were guarded by Marines and other military and private forces. The fighting shattered a week-old truce and raised prospects of the deadliest possible end to Liberia's 3-year-old insurgency: an all-out battle by undisciplined armies for the city of 1 million. Just before Wednesday's explosions, the U.S. Embassy issued a statement condemning ``rebels' serious violation of the cease-fire, which has caused unwarranted terror and misery for tens of thousands of innocent Liberians.'' ``Rebel groups must realize that if they are to have any international credibility or recognition ... they must abide by international agreements and respect basic human rights,'' the unsigned statement said. U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan also condemned the fighting and urged both sides to resume negotiations. The rebels said President Charles Taylor was to blame because he reneged on an earlier pledge to step down. During peace talks in Ghana this month, his delegates agreed to an accord that called for more talks leading to a transition government without Taylor. The cease-fire was a preliminary step under the deal. But Taylor said Friday that stepping down was only a possibility, and then said he had decided again to serve until his term runs out in January. The main rebel movement, Liberians United for Reconciliation and Democracy, suspended participation in the talks Monday over what it said was international mediators' failure to hold Taylor to his pledge to yield power. West African leaders, the United States, European Union and United Nations had pushed hard for the accord. In Ghana, rebels insisted they were battling only to ``stabilize the situation'' so that peace talks could continue. Asked if that would include taking Monrovia, rebel envoy Kabineh Ja'Neh added, ``That is left to the judgment of our forces on the ground--if that is what they'll need to do to stabilize the situation.'' Taylor's forces have lost at least 60 percent of the country to two rebel groups, each determined to drive out Taylor, a U.N.-indicted war-crimes suspect accused of fueling conflicts in West Africa for 14 years. Battles Tuesday night and Wednesday appeared to mark the fiercest combat yet in the city. ``This blatant act of terror will be fought all the way,'' Taylor declared on his private radio station Wednesday, denying that he had fled the city. ``My life is no more important than yours,'' Taylor said as artillery boomed. ``I am here with the men and women in arms, encouraging them to fight on. Because my survival is their survival, and their survival is mine.'' Fighting was reportedly concentrated at the city's port, on the west side. The Red Cross appealed for blood for injured at Monrovia's hospital, but shells slamming into the city made it almost impossible to venture out. The hospital had received nearly 200 wounded by noon Wednesday. Bloody, moaning civilians overflowed the wards and lay sprawled in hallways, clutching their wounds. ``We were running and the thing hit the ground, and a piece went straight to my head,'' said 14-year-old Yzee Ghan, lying on a mat in the hall, blood dripping through a gauze bandage on her head. ``Everybody in the world is sitting to watch us die,'' said Suah Kolli--unwounded, but like crowds of others chased out by fighting, pushing into the hospital compound for safety. Liberia, founded by freed American slaves in the 19th century, was sub-Saharan Africa's richest country for decades. It profited off timber, rubber and close business ties to the United States. A 1980 rebellion overthrew the American-Liberian elite of returned slaves that had ruled Liberia since its founding. AP-NY-06-25-03 1701EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:08:15 PM EDT
Sounds like it is time to re-colonize Liberia. Shouldn't be too hard getting volunteers. We can just ask those who are angry about "racism" in America.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:09:26 PM EDT
At least it isn't Al Qaeda.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:09:59 PM EDT
Looks like another Non-Combatant Evac for the East Coast MEU. What is the current MEU out there? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:43:43 PM EDT
no doubt this a normal occurance in Liberia
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:27:22 PM EDT
Bomb..US Embassy....yawn.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:42:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:04:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
Originally Posted By Fly-Fly: Bomb..US Embassy....yawn.
View Quote
Pardon me for being obtuse, but what the fuck does that mean?
View Quote
It means I'm not surprised. [shock] With the US foreign policy being what it is, we can expect more of the same. Might as well get use to it, this won't be the first or the last.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:07:02 PM EDT
Liberia?? Isn't that the country we set up as slave reparations?? A bunch of people moved back there?? Have you ever noticed, that NO third world shit hole, has any concept of Freedom, EVEN when we hand it to 'em on a silver platter?? This shit right here, is more than enough justification any president needs to send in troops... I hope Bush ain't that stupid.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:13:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/25/2003 7:17:59 PM EDT by liberty86]
Originally Posted By BillofRights: Sounds like it is time to re-colonize Liberia. Shouldn't be too hard getting volunteers. We can just ask those who are angry about "racism" in America.
View Quote
Well, I'm angry about the "Legal" rascism in this Country, my people have been here since 1630, and [b]I[/b] ain't leavin'!!! [pissed]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:13:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:38:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jarhead_22: Please explain to me exactly what this event has to do with US foreign policy in Africa or anywhere else.
View Quote
It means we should get the hell out, and watch them slaughter each other, and roast in their own self hatred. Just like we should do everywhere, (Including some of our own Cities!)....[;D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:23:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fly-Fly: It means I'm not surprised. With the US foreign policy being what it is, we can expect more of the same. Might as well get use to it, this won't be the first or the last.
View Quote
We [b]gave[/b] them their country in the 1800s and they turned it into a typical third world shithole. Now, when they're in the middle of a revolution, we stupidly take in some refugees from the fighting and our embassy compound gets mortared/grenaded. Please explain to me exactly what this event has to do with US foreign policy in Africa or anywhere else.
View Quote
How 'bout we go 'round the world to all of these little shitholes and do things 'they can just get used to'... OK, I didn't REALLY say that. But, dang, this kinda stuff gets irritating, doesn't it? When are these people going to start joining the rest of civilzation? Never mind.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:33:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:58:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:23:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fly-Fly: It means I'm not surprised. With the US foreign policy being what it is, we can expect more of the same. Might as well get use to it, this won't be the first or the last.
View Quote
We [b]gave[/b] them their country in the 1800s and they turned it into a typical third world shithole. Now, when they're in the middle of a revolution, we stupidly take in some refugees from the fighting and our embassy compound gets mortared/grenaded. Please explain to me exactly what this event has to do with US foreign policy in Africa or anywhere else.
View Quote
Fact is, we aren't sure (yet) that is was a Liberian that mortared/grenaded the US embassy in Liberia. It could have been a person of any nationality. The US has many enemies, they don't mind traveling to other countries to carry out their agenda. I'm no foriegn policy expert but common sense tells me events like this are going to become (more) common.
Top Top