Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 11:11:55 AM EDT
Who's the easiest to open an account with? Who's got good rates on small heavy things? Who's not a PITA to deal with?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of volume are we talking about?

Do you plan to ship mostly ground or air?

Do you need tracking?

Do you plan to use the carrier supplied software?

Do you need the carrier software to integrate with your own system?

Any CODs?

International?

Most larger shippers have accounts with all the major carriers and rate shop for the lowest rate. If you think you have that kind of volume, you can probably cut a deal and get a discount as well.

No major shipper pays the retail rates. That's for us little people. :-)
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I opened an account with UPS and they have been wonderful.  One small hiccup in the past 40 packages.

I used them exclusively for the brass....
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Small volume, mostly ground, need tracking, will use any software necessary, don't need integration, no CODs, no international.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
UPS's software is all on the net.  You log in and do your thing.  You print the labels, and tape them on your box.  Drop it {and go} at the counter or arrange a pickup.

Bi-weekly bills.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
For low volume ground you won't get a deal on the rates, but if you ship a lot of stuff to the same zone, you can play them off each other (UPS and FedEx) to get a discount on that one zone.

If it were me, I would get both UPS and FedEx accounts and use their software. UPS has WorldShip, which is not bad and it's free. I forget what software FedEx gives you. They used to give you a system called PowerShip along with a computer, but I think you had to have 75 packages a day to qualify.

The best thing to do is call each carrier, tell them what kind of volume you expect to have, and see what they have to say.

Do you already have a customer database or an order entry system? WorldShip has some simple integration tools to help integrate their system to any database that offers an ODBC driver (which is most of them).
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Fedex is the only one ive never had a problem with. Fedex is also the only one ive never had to file for insurance claim with (IE: lost item, insured for x amount of dollars).

USPS is the best deal as far as im concerned. Cheap, and reliable (just dont ship guns, or overly expensive items)
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Fedex Ground hands down.  As long as you have a Fedex service center nearby to drop packages off, their prices and speed cant be beat.  All shipments have a tracking number that doesnt cost extra, and insurance is like 50 cents per hundred dollars.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who's the easiest to open an account with? Who's got good rates on small heavy things? Who's not a PITA to deal with?
View Quote

They ALL SUCK, I suggest getting a bicycle for deliveries
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They ALL SUCK, I suggest getting a bicycle for deliveries
View Quote

Yea but I need one of those 'Overnight' bicycle delivery dudes...From MI to VA.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I am a shipping manager for a Medical OEM.
For trusting on the stuff getting through in good shape, it is:
1) Federal Express Air
2) UPS
3) FedEx Ground
4) USPS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top