Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 11:10:45 AM EDT

from [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=10&u=/nm/20030624/od_nm/life_australia_shark_dc[/url]

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A Great White Shark has gatecrashed a tuna research project in Australia, mysteriously appearing inside a fishing pen containing around 100 tuna.

[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030625/mdf304212.jpg[/img]
[b] (photo caption) A 12-foot long Great White shark swims inside a tuna research pen in Port Lincoln, Australia June 23, 2003. The shark mysteriously appeared inside the fish pen and it is thought that it either bit through the netting, or leapt the 7.5-foot electrified fence while chasing a seal. (Reuters - Handout) [/b]

The 13-foot shark, weighing about 1,500 pounds, is thought to have either bitten its way into the tuna pond or leapt a 7.5 foot electrified fence while chasing a seal last Thursday.

Scientists at the pen off the coast of the South Australian tuna fishing town of Port Lincoln said Tuesday the shark had swum contently around the pen, but they were not sure how the tuna felt about their uninvited guest.

A head count of the tuna showed two had disappeared.

"When the shark swims to the surface the tuna swim to the bottom of the net and vice versa," said a spokesman for the South Australian Research Development Institute.

The scientists, who are studying tuna feeding, said they eventually coaxed the Great White from the cage by using a net to funnel it out through underwater gates.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like Jaws 3D when it got into the lagoon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
.458 SOCOM anyone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
.458 SOCOM anyone?
View Quote

Holy crap that is exactly what I was thinking.  

Some grenades, too.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
We know, johnny_reno beat 'cha to it, in the "photo of the day"...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd want a Barret .50 BMG auto carbine for that one.

To make sure.

MM419
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I say Nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

ED
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So is he 12' or 13' ? How do you count 110 tuna....Im sure they dont hold still for long with "Bruce" in there. Do I really care how the "Tuna feel"! Of course they stay as far away from the freaking predator as possible.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If their best theory is it jumped 7 feet to get in....
That guy with the camera is asking to be a side for the tuna....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top