Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:09:28 AM EDT
Someone suggested I post this in General Discussion to keep everyone informed.

Howdy everybody, as some of you already know or have heard, Texas Tactical had a pretty severe
setback on Saturday. We arrived at our range in
Johnson City early Saturday morning to set up for
our monthly carbine match. As we drove up I could
see that there had been some dirt work done
around the bays, as I got closer I saw that the
berms in bay 1 had been reduced to about 4 to 5
feet tall! I continued to drive to the next bay
and saw it was also reduced to the same height.
Along about bay 3 it hit me "where is all our
equipment"? I drove all the way to the end of the
bays and came upon a horrible sight There was a
huge pile of dirt, twisted metal, broken wood,
and various other debri, as I stared in shock at
this rubble, I started to recognize bits and
pieces of the trash pile. There is a piece of a
barricade here, there were several mangled target
stands there, broken tables, chairs, twisted
pepper poppers, almost every single piece of our
equipment was broken and entangled in this mess.
I immediately called the land owner who was in
complete shock at what I told him. He told me
that he had given permission for a company to
come in and remove some kalichi from another part
of the property. At this point no one knows why
they destroyed the berms and bulldozed all of our
equipment into a huge pile. Several of our
shooters showed up and after everyone got over
their initial shock, we started digging through
the rubble to see if anything survived. It
appears that about 90% of our equipment was
destroyed. At this time the future of Texas
Tactical is up in the air, however, We are
definetely not giving up! We can find another
range but we are unable to afford the cost of
equipment to restart from scratch. Also after
talking to the Sheriffs Deputy and a spokesman
for the Company, it sounds like it is going to be
a difficult and time consuming process to recover
our losses (if at all). It definetely seems to me
that this will get alot uglier before, or if, it
gets better. We will keep everyone informed of
any updates.

I really want to thank everyone for their support
over the years. We have been putting on matchs
since IDPAs inception and have met alot of great
people throughout the years. We sure couldn't
have been able to do this without all the help
and support. THANK Y'ALL!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
File a claim on the land owner's insurance policy.

Their insurance company will file against the perps that did the damage to recoup their loss.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Definitely keep us updated.  

I am thankful that many are showing their kind spirits with offers of assistance, both financially and otherwise.  Hopefully we can get Texas Tactical up and running.  

For anyone that doesn't know, Mike (TexasTactical) organizes IDPA and 'Tactical Carbine' matches in the Central Texas area.  These matches are excellent opportunities for firearms enthusiasts to test their skill and equipment in quasi realistic type settings.  The competition is fun, and everyone out there is extremely friendly and helpful.  If you get the chance, come to one of the matches!  You'll have an absolute blast, I guarantee!

Mike,  I'll be sending a little your way.  I can't do too much now, but I know every little bit will count.  Hopefully the berms will be rebuilt quickly, and then we can get the target stands and props built up and ready to go.  

I know I speak for everyone who goes out to the matches, that we greatly appreciate what you do, Mike.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He told me
that he had given permission for a company to
come in and remove some kalichi from another part
of the property. At this point no one knows why
they destroyed the berms and bulldozed all of our
equipment into a huge pile.
View Quote

File a suite against the company for destroying your property.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I got three words for you Texas, "Get A Lawyer"
No one will do anything until they show up and then you'll see people starting to make people happy. I hate them but they do have a purpose in life and this is one of those purposes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps Eric the Hun can be of some assistence??
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got three words for you Texas, "Get A Lawyer"
No one will do anything until they show up and then you'll see people starting to make people happy. I hate them but they do have a purpose in life and this is one of those purposes.
View Quote

Echo: [size=4] "Get A Lawyer"[/size=4]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
fightforyourrights is correct.  File against the land owner, since he gave permission and did not oversee what was going on.  You'll most likely recover and you'll also be eligable for loss of earnings and other damages.  

Don't despair, all is not lost...just temporarily on hold.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#9]
As the landowner to withhold payment to the excavation firm.

Is it possible the landowner had this done?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As the landowner to withhold payment to the excavation firm.

Is it possible the landowner had this done?
View Quote

The landowner doesn't have anything to withhold. He gave the excavation company permission to remove some dirt from another part of the property. It appears to me that the dumbass from the excavation company just saw an opportunity to get some easy dirt. He just pushed the equipment into a pile & took the dirt from the berms as it was allready excavated. If anything the excavation company owes him for the material removed.
[Devils advocate mode on] The bays probably looked like sand/dirt pits where previous excavation had been done. Many times IDPA stuff looks like trash to the uninformed. Fake walls with square holes(windows). Messed up doors. Even metal target stands can look like scrap metal.He probably thought it was construction debris illegaly dumped in the dirt pits and was helping the landowner out by cleaning up.[devils advocate mode off]
The guy was an idiot. The excavation company should make restitution.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
What is KALICHI?  never have heard the term.

Good luck getting reimbursed.  The excavation company needs to pay. They have insurance for such incidents.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#12]
That absolutely sucks.

File a claim and put the perps out of business(through the insurance companys lawsuit). File for all possible damages you can come up with, not just the work that needs to be done to repair it(hah, claim for cash to set up a new, all electronic range), but also for a temporary shooting facility, and other damages (IE: maliciously trying to put you out of business).
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Definitely keep us updated.  

I am thankful that many are showing their kind spirits with offers of assistance, both financially and otherwise.  Hopefully we can get Texas Tactical up and running.  

For anyone that doesn't know, Mike (TexasTactical) organizes IDPA and 'Tactical Carbine' matches in the Central Texas area.  These matches are excellent opportunities for firearms enthusiasts to test their skill and equipment in quasi realistic type settings.  The competition is fun, and everyone out there is extremely friendly and helpful.  If you get the chance, come to one of the matches!  You'll have an absolute blast, I guarantee!

Mike,  I'll be sending a little your way.  I can't do too much now, but I know every little bit will count.  Hopefully the berms will be rebuilt quickly, and then we can get the target stands and props built up and ready to go.  

I know I speak for everyone who goes out to the matches, that we greatly appreciate what you do, Mike.  

View Quote

It is great to see everyone come together, it just reinforces to me that shooters are some of the best people in the world!!
I would'nt do all this if it were'nt for the great people that come shoot with us. Thanks again for all your support Matt.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the moral support guys this thing has been pretty tuff. Seeing your home range and all the equipment that you have worked so hard to build and acquire over the years in a huge pile of twisted metal and broken wood is pretty horrific.

Currently we are giving the people who are responsible a chance to step up and do the right thing. (still waiting) [:(]
The last thing we want is to go through all the legal mumbo jumbo but we will if we have to. Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I work for an environmental consulting firm and I have experience rebuilding firearms ranges.

If the soil has a significant amount of bullets (lead and other metals) then the excavator could be in a lot of trouble for transporting a hazardous waste.  

I don't believe that this material is a RCRA listed waste so a samples would have to be collected and analyzed.  If the concentrations of the metals exceed the regulatory levels then the material would be a characteristic hazardous waste.

Since the soil has not been sampled and the concentration of contaminates (lead and other metals) has not been determined the excavated material is not yet considered a hazardous waste.  

Where did they take the soil?  

If it is hazardous then the soil may have to be re-excavated and recycled and disposed of. If the state or federal government gets involved this could be very expensive. You probably don't want to play that card but you may be able to use it for leavage against them.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]Get a lawyer![/b]

Doing anything else is a waste of time!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[b]Get a lawyer![/b]

Doing anything else is a waste of time!
View Quote

Sic the Hun on 'em.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear about his Mike![:(]

If the legal thing doesn't work then it will be time to open up a can of...Well y'all know what!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
time to 'render inoperative' a coupla bulldozers.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Good luck getting reimbursed.  The excavation company needs to pay. They have insurance for such incidents.
View Quote

Simple definition of CALICHI is rock.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I work for an environmental consulting firm and I have experience rebuilding firearms ranges.

If the soil has a significant amount of bullets (lead and other metals) then the excavator could be in a lot of trouble for transporting a hazardous waste.  

I don't believe that this material is a RCRA listed waste so a samples would have to be collected and analyzed.  If the concentrations of the metals exceed the regulatory levels then the material would be a characteristic hazardous waste.

Since the soil has not been sampled and the concentration of contaminates (lead and other metals) has not been determined the excavated material is not yet considered a hazardous waste.  

Where did they take the soil?  

If it is hazardous then the soil may have to be re-excavated and recycled and disposed of. If the state or federal government gets involved this could be very expensive. You probably don't want to play that card but you may be able to use it for leavage against them.

View Quote

That's a good angle to play.
Don't let these bastards get away with this!!!!
File a criminal complaint.
Get a lawyer. File civil suits.
Dime on 'em for dumping lead tainted soil. If the owner is in the soil biz- the words 'lead contamination and cleanup' should scare the pee out of them. Ask him what he did with all the contaminated soil they took.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Simple definition of CALICHI is rock.

-hanko
View Quote

Decomposed limestone.  Its chalky, friable mineral material very suitable for constructions as it is water stable and can be used like lime for stabilizing sensitive clays.  Unlike lime, its a natural product and is many times cheaper than the former even at the much higher dosing rates required over lime.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
CALICHI is soil naturally cemented in arid environment.  Rain contains trace amounts minerals.  In arid environmental the rain soaks into the ground as it evaporates it leaves behind the minerals that combine with the soil to form a very hard material.

Back to the hazardous waste issue, as soon they excavated the material and discarded it they improperly disposed of a hazardous waste.  It could be argued that the material isn't a waste because it has a beneficial use but most regulatory agencies would argue against that. If you do contact a regulatory agency be prepared for the SHTF because it will takes years to resolve and it will be very expensive.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
It angers me just to think of the kind of stupid reasoning it takes to do something so asinine! Sorry that happened to ya'll Gig em hard!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
From what I've seen here, the soil isn't a problem until it's disturbed, or until you dump it somewhere and no one knows it contains lead. Ever hear of 'Dome Dirt'??
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow! I have been inundated with emails and phone
calls from well wishers. I want to thank everyone
for there kind messages.

I have also recieved a few offers of financial
help. My initial reaction to these offers was
"dang, what an extremely nice gesture but I can't
accept". My thoughts were, that I have never
accepted any kind of charity in my life and never
would. However, after talking to several people
and even arguing about accepting financial
donations. I have been convinced to swallow my
pride and do what's best for the Texas Tactical
shooters. So........(swallowing hard) if you
would like to make a donation to help replace the
equipment that was destroyed so that we can get
back to putting on matches A.S.A.P., our address
is:

Texas Tactical
13030 Blanco Rd #718
San Antonio, Texas 78216
(please make checks out to Jennifer Wilson)

Some people have requested that we set up a PAYPAL account.
So If you would prefer to use PAYPAl
our account is:

[email protected]

Once again thank y'all for your support it's a
wonderful thing to see everyone come together in
a time like this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey JimBeam, thanks for the great info. So in your opinion I should only use this as a last resort?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Would I sound like a dickhead if I said I wan't sure I just wanted to help buy replacement equipment if you don't want to try to recoup the losses from the a-hole that perpetrated this hate crime???
What about the next time it happens?? Do we just pay to replace it again??? I'm in SA, I'd like to help out. But I wouldn't want to see the equipment destroyed again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#29]
any firearms & ammo in the equipment pile?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would I sound like a dickhead if I said I wan't sure I just wanted to help buy replacement equipment if you don't want to try to recoup the losses from the a-hole that perpetrated this hate crime???
What about the next time it happens?? Do we just pay to replace it again??? I'm in SA, I'd like to help out. But I wouldn't want to see the equipment destroyed again.
View Quote

Not at all. I completely agree with you. Rest assured we are doing , and will do, everything in our power to make the idiots pay. How long this might take I have no clue. The people who are suggesting making donations don't want to wait to see if and when we collect. They want to see us back up and running as soon as possible so we can continue to put on matches. I strongly resisted the idea of donations at first however I have realized that at this time this is what is best for all our shooters and what the majority wants. So I have swallowed my pride and will accept donations to benefit the shooting community as a whole so we can get back up and running as soon as possible. Do you shoot with us?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 1:47:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey JimBeam, thanks for the great info. So in your opinion I should only use this as a last resort?
View Quote

Yep but you could use it to hammer him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Sure, this is bad and all, but at least they can pack each other's fudge.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi Texas- I don't shoot with y'all yet. But I'm on your email list. I'm willing to donate an afternoon if you need. I'm on a student budget right now. I still need to decide which upper I want to put on my RRA lower. And I can bring some ammo to share next time if I can try out an upper or two.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I do not get it.  If someone bulldozed my house I would have standing to file a criminal complaint.  If I understand correctly, this is not your property, but property you were allowed to use?  If I owned the property and it was vandalized; wouldn't I have cause to seek compensation?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sure, this is bad and all, but at least they can pack each other's fudge.
View Quote

WHAT??
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I appreciate the offer I understand about your budget....I can relate. [:)] Well hopefully we will be back up and running soon and we would love to have y'all come out and shoot with us!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I do not get it.  If someone bulldozed my house I would have standing to file a criminal complaint.  If I understand correctly, this is not your property, but property you were allowed to use?  If I owned the property and it was vandalized; wouldn't I have cause to seek compensation?  
View Quote

I'm not sure I know what you are asking. We do not own the property that the range sits on. We did build the range. We leased the range for our matches and training on a per use basis. All of our equipment was stored at the range. I'm not sure if that clarifiies anything for you or not.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I know what you are asking. We do not own the property that the range sits on. We did build the range. We leased the range for our matches and training on a per use basis. All of our equipment was stored at the range. I'm not sure if that clarifiies anything for you or not.
View Quote

The lease is your leg to stand on. I wouldn't wait more than a day or so to file suit, if it were me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Thanks for the clarification.  Man that sucks!  If it ok to ask, what has been the construction companies position?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#40]
There's almost certainly no crime involved here.  This is at worst negligence.  A civil offense.  I'm surprised you all want to send them to jail etc. etc. when you don't know the facts, or what he knew, or whether he thought the berms and targets were just garbage etc.  Likewise with the bersm, lead, etc.  There's usually no crime unless you have intent, and there's no reason why the excavators would have intentionally destroyed this property if they didn't think it was refuse, etc.   Even so, they're probably civilly liable b/c they should have known better and should have checked.

The landowner might be negligent, as is the co.  You may want to think twice about suing the landowner, though, if you want to keep a relatinoship with him.

As for donations and all, I guess that depends on how much people want the range up and running.  I don't usually make a habit of donating to businesses to get up and running.

Simple qustion, why don't you have insurance for your business (if this is a busines )that covers the property and your personal liability for negligence as well as the down time etc.  

What will you do if you set up a match and a kid gets an eye taken out from richoeting metal or catches one in the grape.  Since you're liable for negligence too--i.e., the failure to take reasonable precauations--it seems like that could come up a lot in IDPA, i.e., why'd you run a hot range, why are two shooters on this match, why is the shooter turning 270 degrees, why'd you not keep everyone behind the firing line, etc.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, but to give you some free advice:  BUY INSURANCE. This ain't a matter of lawyers being evil or anything, but every business is liable for negligence.  What if your shooters' bullets hit a nearby farm animal or person.  What would you do then?  It sounds like you need to think all this through.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Publius, thanks for the great info. Thanks for the great laugh too
"catches one in the grape"
View Quote
[rofl] that was so funny.
We do have liability insurance but who would have ever thought we would need anti bulldozer insurance.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Well it is a little surprising, but your liability insurance might include coverage here.  Not sure.  They might be able to recommend a lawyer too.

I'm pretty sure the landowners insurance would not cover your personal property kept on his land for a commercial purpose (or any purpose), but it might.

Since your case sounds pretty strong, I'd be surprised if the excavators don't pay up w/o a trial, unless their financial position is screwed.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#44]
How much money's on the line, btw?  $5000 $10000 $20000?

If it's a lot I could probably handle it, otherwise you probably want a plaintiff's lawyer that is experienced in litigation involving insurance companies that can do it on contingency.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#45]
who was the company removing the calichi,
I'll get your money back
Lebrew
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
who was the company removing the calichi,
I'll get your money back
Lebrew
View Quote

This sounds like a man that's ready to bust some kneecaps.

Sorry to hear about the range and good luck on getting it back up and running.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#47]
I hate to bring this up because I fear it will play a hand in limiting our future ranges, but...  Consider that IF they did take the earth from the berms, that soil is probably [B]HEAVELY CONTAMINATED WITH LEAD[/B].  Where did this soil end up?  What are they using it for?  Who is going to pay to decontaminate the place they took and used the soil?  This sounds like a nightmare in the making.  Good luck Texas.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I hate to bring this up because I fear it will play a hand in limiting our future ranges, but...  Consider that IF they did take the earth from the berms, that soil is probably [B]HEAVELY CONTAMINATED WITH LEAD[/B].  Where did this soil end up?  What are they using it for?  Who is going to pay to decontaminate the place they took and used the soil?  This sounds like a nightmare in the making.  Good luck Texas.
View Quote

Honestly, I'm wondering about what they did with the soil. Was it backstops with lead or just berms around shooting positions?? If they sell it as top soil and it goes into someone's back yard and contains pounds of lead...

posted by Publius:

There's almost certainly no crime involved here.
View Quote

There have to be several crimes here.

Theft?
Vandalism?
Destruction of private property?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn, Mike. Sorry to hear about the range getting torn up. Hopefully things will work out in your favor. At least the matches in SA are still going.

Chris Cosper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top