Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2003 5:56:55 AM EDT
Snoop Dogg, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, was convicted in 1990 of possession of cocaine for sale, and authorities said it is illegal for a felon to possess weapons or hire armed security guards.

It is illegal under federal law to "carry or use firearms in connection with the protection of a prohibited person," Gordon said
View Quote

====================================================================================

Three Members Of Snoop Dogg's Entourage Arrested
LOS ANGELES 6.25.03, 1:26a -
Snoop Dogg could face criminal charges in connection with the arrests of three men who delivered the rapper-actor to the BET Awards in a gray armored van, authorities said.

Two of the three arrested outside Tuesday's awards show were unarmed but wanted by authorities for unidentified misdemeanor crimes. The third, who was also unarmed, was wanted on parole violations.

Six others were armed and detained by authorities. They identified themselves as Snoop Dogg's security detail, said Joe Gordon, assistant special agent in charge for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

They were released but Gordon said charges would be presented to federal prosecutors that could involve Snoop Dogg, who was not detained but spoke briefly with his lawyer outside the Kodak Theatre.

Possible charges include associating with the armed men.

Snoop Dogg, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, was convicted in 1990 of possession of cocaine for sale, and authorities said it is illegal for a felon to possess weapons or hire armed security guards.

It is illegal under federal law to "carry or use firearms in connection with the protection of a prohibited person," Gordon said.

"The prohibited person would be a hub of the case," under those charges, Gordon said. "The people that had firearms would be the spokes of the wheel."

The charges carry a penalty of up to 10 years in federal prison

The awards, presented by the Black Entertainment Television network, recognize people of color in music, film and sports categories.They are voted on by record label executives, news media representatives and fans.

An attorney for the 31-year-old rapper, Hayes Michel, did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press at his office Tuesday night.

The Associated Press
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee...  what a surprise...  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to check and see if Teddy Kennedy is a convicted felon. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:09:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Local LA radio reported that the "armed men" were off-duty LAPD.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Dat's some bullshizzle, my nizzles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry folks here is the link:
[url]http://kfwb.com/news_local.asp?displayOption=&contentGUID={DCAF5F66-5A0D-4A94-8152-9401A5CEACE3}&groupName=AP Top California Headlines&siteGUID={3B62BF55-4A93-48E6-A45D-6A495DC423AD}[/url]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]
"The prohibited person would be a hub of the case," under those charges, Gordon said. "The people that had firearms would be the spokes of the wheel."
View Quote

And this is what that wheel will look like:
[img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_16016a9ffd4e35c8310f3f285ec9ef61/i-1.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone really give a flying fuck?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Would anybody complain if a cop shot that dogg? [;D]
View Quote

Considering some of the shit you say, we know you wouldnt....

Those dubbies be blingin!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I hope to God no one considers that guy a role model.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It was a joke.  I was hoping it would be taken as such.
View Quote

The first one or the second one? This time, the last time or the time before that?

Any similance of civility I had for you from the past shit you have said & done is long gone. I cant believe they actually keeep you around as a mod here.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Its good to know that he'll get nothing, and his enterage will most likely get by with the minimum due to the fact that they were with him.  Yippie.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Six others were armed and detained by authorities. They identified themselves as Snoop Dogg's security detail, said Joe Gordon, assistant [red]special agent in charge for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives[/red]
View Quote

The highlited area is why you should care.  WTF is the ATF involved in this??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Don't you guys see the oppurtunity we have?

A chance at "The Man" going after some people who will be discriminated against by them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Whew!!!

Good work boys.  It makes me feel much safer to know that my Federal Law Enforcement dollars are being spent wisely, shaking down idiot doper rap stars rather than boring old criminals and terrorists.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]
As much money as he has, you would think he wouldnt have to hire Parolee's and Fugitives. He could afford Gavin De Breker.

As for tax dollars being spent on this case. I have no problem with that. There have been too many shooting in the rap industry. Hiring Parolees and Fugitives as "security" adds to the problem.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Six others were armed and detained by authorities. They identified themselves as Snoop Dogg's security detail, said Joe Gordon, assistant [red]special agent in charge for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives[/red]
View Quote

The highlited area is why you should care.  WTF is the ATF involved in this??

Sgtar15
View Quote

One of those fine legislative works by Bush has moved ATF (or at least the F part) under the Dept. of Justice.  

They be LEO now.  

Scott
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#27]
So, a convicted felon cannot even hire someone to protect them?

So I guess that the Federal Witness Protection Program will be getting shut down.

Was Clinton convicted of a felony, or was it a misdemeanor charge of perjury?

I think that alot of people will be affected by this. Some include: Tim Allen (convicted of possession of cocaine and distribution of cocaine), Tommy Lee (convicted of domestic violence), Vince Neil (convicted of vehiculer manslaughter/DUI), and a ton of other entertainers of both the music world and Hollywierd.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WTF is the ATF involved in this??

Sgtar15
View Quote

The [b]F[/b] in BATF means "Firearms".

Parolees, Felons, & Fugitives in possession of firearms. If it's federal firearms law is being broken, ATF should handle it. Local Law Enforcement does not handle Federal crimes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#30]
If society trusts him enough to have him on the streets, then society should not disallow him from being able to defend himself.

In other words, if you cant trust a felon with a gun, why in the fuck is he on the street?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If society trusts him enough to have him on the streets, then society should not disallow him from being able to defend himself.

In other words, if you cant trust a felon with a gun, why in the fuck is he on the street?
View Quote

Ding-ding-ding...Ladies and Gentelmen, we have a winner!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's some food for thought, once a felon has done their time why isn't their bedt to society been repaid> i.e. WHy can't they vote, own guns etc as the rest of us?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I do but only for this reason,
It is illegal under federal law to "carry or use firearms in connection with the protection of a prohibited person," Gordon said
View Quote

This is fucking utterly fucking ludicrous ,OK you are a convited felon, NO KABR rights,but to deny you the right to hire armed security is way off the scale with govt abuse.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#34]
It's kinda hard bein Snoop D-O-double-G
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I hope to God no one considers that guy a role model.
View Quote

It would appear that CavVet does...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is fucking utterly fucking ludicrous ,OK you are a convited felon, NO KABR rights,but to deny you the right to hire armed security is way off the scale with govt abuse.
View Quote

I agree.  He SHOULD have been denied the right to procreate.  Scum like DoggFace should be removed from the gene pool. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#37]
So, why not two p's

Snoopp Dogg
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

This one article is the only place I have ever heard of such a law, so i suspect it's a error.

Otherwise no one who did time in prison could even have a ADT or Brinks home security system with armed response. Or own a small business (jewler) and hire an armed guard. For those reason I suspect the media is taking something out of context here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a joke.  I was hoping it would be taken as such.
View Quote

The first one or the second one? This time, the last time or the time before that?

Any similance of civility I had for you from the past shit you have said & done is long gone. I cant believe they actually keeep you around as a mod here.

View Quote

How about a democratic post I can't or don't know how to post a poll!

But CAR-VET would you like to see a poll as to whom should go,say you or Doublefeed?

Thought not,chill dude!
Just what is it that you think lenerd(or snoop -dog) has contributed to this site or society in general?
edited to say his name is Calvin not Lenerd(excuse me Skynerd)
 Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not being able to arm yourself is just wrong.

Him living in his world probably needs the guns more than most of us would.
View Quote

So if paroled you would advocate guns for Charles Manson? I'm sure Chuckie would have unique security needs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because of real world cost issues. Also you can trust some guy to break concrete and add to society that you would not give a gun.

Or do you live in the gumdrop house down on lollipop lane?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not being able to arm yourself is just wrong.

Him living in his world probably needs the guns more than most of us would.
View Quote

So if paroled you would advocate guns for Charles Manson? I'm sure Chuckie would have unique security needs.
View Quote

I notice chuckie is still in jail, but yeah, if he were paroled then He should have the right and the ability to defend himself, and to be able (legally speaking) to use the tools necessary to do so.

TO say otherwise plays into the hands of those that think that no one other than police or military should be trusted to keep and bear arms.

Afterall if you can set the standard at 'felons' why not 'potential' felons, I mean why allow anyone that MIGHT misuse a firearm the right/abilty to one?

rickyj

Because of real world cost issues. Also you can trust some guy to break concrete and add to society that you would not give a gun.

View Quote

Of course MR Schumer... I guess the only people in your world that should be trusted with guns are the police or the military.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
rickyj

View Quote

Of course MR Schumer... I guess the only people in your world that should be trusted with guns are the police or the military.
View Quote

[LOL] Come on, there is some happy medium in there. Should convicted child molesters be allowed to run day cares? Should people convicted of tax fraud be allowed to work in the IRS?

This topic seems interesting enough to merit its own thread so I, as self designated topic master, am going to start one, we can continue the argument there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any similance of civility I had for you from the past shit you have said & done is long gone.
View Quote

Any chance we could get you to translate this sentence into standard written English?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#45]
now making fun of ebonics talk is racist huh?

WHAAAAA MY PUSSY HURTS!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any similance of civility I had for you from the past shit you have said & done is long gone.
View Quote

Any chance we could get you to translate this sentence into standard written English?  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Not taking a side here, but the sentence seems well written to me.

Translation - CavVet's not gonna bite his tounge re: DoubleFeed any longer.

AND I HATE THE CARTOON "DRAGON TALES" - glad that's off my chest.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Not taking a side here, but the sentence seems well written to me.

Translation - CavVet's not gonna bite his tounge re: DoubleFeed any longer.

AND I HATE THE CARTOON "DRAGON TALES" - glad that's off my chest.
View Quote

Well, I'm afraid "similance" isn't a word in the English language.

Readability statistics:
Flesch-Kinkaid reading level 7.3

>doh! text is in the right place now
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I do but only for this reason,
View Quote

View Quote

I totally agree...
Did anybody stop to think that this law could potentially include any sheriff's deputy or city/metro police that signs up for extra duty assignments such as working traffic or crowd control at any of the concerts? If they intervene in the crowd swarming the band bus, and they have their sidearm...would they not be guilty of "protection of a prohibited person"???

If ANYONE with a felony that lives in a gated community with an armed security guard...are they not guilty under this statute as well? Hello?...Hollywood, are you listening?

If someone with a felony record, tries to clean up his life, gets a job at a 7-11....and calls 911 for an armed robbery in progress----- are the police going to scan their records first to see if they can send an armed officer to assist in the protection of the storeclerk?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Would anybody complain if a cop shot that dogg? [;D]
View Quote

I woulden't complain.  I see first hand how his lyrics empower criminal youth to be bitter and flaunt their behavior.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#50]
If someone with a felony record, tries to clean up his life, gets a job at a 7-11....and calls 911 for an armed robbery in progress----- are the police going to scan their records first to see if they can send an armed officer to assist in the protection of the storeclerk?
View Quote

The law says HIRED, you as a individual do not HIRE police.

The law IS designed to keep felons from hiring hit men under the guise of private security. Its also designed to keep them from hiring off duty cops as a means of preventing off duty fraternization between law enforcement and the criminal community.

If you don't have such laws you wind up like New Orleans.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top