Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 3:11:11 PM EDT
Out of sheer desperation, I turned on my central AC unit today. I've been using a window unit, but it's not cooling enough area.
So my central ac is a 15+ year old trane- with R22. I haven't used it in a few years because I thought it was low on freon. It fired up ok- it did make a funny noise at first- sort of sounded like it was pulling liquid through a pipe-but it wasn't a full pipe- sort of a 'liquid and air' sound. But not like a draoning or slurping sound. Doesn't that make sense??
I'm in school, and my unemployent benefits have run out, so I'm short on cash. What would happen if I topped of the system with the 'new'(not R22) coolant?? Can I mix them?? or should I vent the system-yeah, yeah I know- EPA yadda yadda yadda-and refill it with a newer gas?? That's assuming I can get the gas-but I'm resourceful.
ANY help is appreciated. It's hard to study when it 90 degrees in the house!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sadly you are screwed. The newer stuff is not compatable for several reasons, not the least of which, is it is used at higher pressures. So your old stuff won't stand up to it even if you could get it. And since you have a leak, it would just leak out faster.
Now the r22 is still only about 10 bucks a pound, but someone else said in a similar thread, that they won't put it in unless they find the leak,(though I am not sure about that, since they filled mine up the week before they came back to fix the leak, but that may be because they were coming back.)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Well it ran for a little while and was cold. Then it starte dblowing room temp for about 15-20 minutes. Then it started blowing cold air. It cooled off enough and I turned it off at the thermostat, but the outside fan is still on.
I'm guessing that there's [b]not[/b] supposed to be frist on the outside lines huh??

So I need to find some R22 and some gauges- or find an AC tech that 'takes cash'???? Right?

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Right.  Also check your air filter and make sure the inside coil is not clogged.  Ops
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I changed the filter and shop vac'ed the coil already. The search continues- thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
R-22 is still the same.it's R-12 that has changed and that is for your car! You need to get one of your friends over quick before you fuck something up!     You can have your unit off for ten years,and unlike your car it will still have a full charge,unless you have a leak!

The car has seals much like leather that need coolent  more so the oil that is in the coolent to circulate to keep it moist and supple so as not to leak!

If you don't know squat about it ,leave it alone!   The smartest man I ever knew was the man that said,I know absolutly nothing about it ,but am willing to learn what to leave alone!

Did this help?     Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes you have it now it blows cold untill the volume of gas does its thing in the long copper tubeing(you can cut out twenty feet of suction,or liquid line) or add more freon!

I vote more Freon(If like you say you have washed out the condenser(garden hose outside) cleaned the evaporator filter(inside unit in house) and checked to see if the cats havent left there coats in the evapoirator coils)

If thats all been checked find a friend with some Yellow-jacket gauges and some R-22,and have fun!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I may have posted about R12 before, but it said R22 on the back of the unit.
Anyone in SA have a tank that [i]fell off the truck[/i]?? I'd like to compensate you for your lose. PM me.  
Or where can I buy it?? I think I have to have a certificate or something???

>> I am concerned that the outside unit doesn't shut off when the inside unit is off. It turned on when I threw the outside breaker.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
If the inside unit is not blowing and the outside unit is then it will freeze up and you will have frost on the line.

It sounds like you might have a clogged coil, restricted filter, or as you have thought...low on refrigerant!

Did you say you live in SA?

My company has a store in San Marcos so I might be able to find you a tech that does good inexpensive work.

IM me if you still need some help and I will check into it for you.

BigDozer66
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top