Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:58:50 AM EDT
Last night on History Channel there was a show on comic book superheroes. Toward the end of the program, it was mentioned that Douglas Wilder, ex-governor of Virginia, used an issue of comic book to get anti-gun laws passed by giving copies to legislators. This got me thinking: 1. What kind of asinine idiots would make laws based on what they read in a comic book? 2. A few panels of the comic book was shown, including one of a black man holding a gun and with bulging eyes, as if high on drugs. The title of the book, IIRC, is "The Seduction of Guns". In any other context, this would be considered racist (black men can't control themselves, prone of violence) Wilder is himself black. I wonder if he caught the irony.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:17:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Javak: Last night on History Channel there was a show on comic book superheroes. Toward the end of the program, it was mentioned that Douglas Wilder, ex-governor of Virginia, used an issue of comic book to get anti-gun laws passed by giving copies to legislators. This got me thinking: 1. What kind of asinine idiots would make laws based on what they read in a comic book?
View Quote
Politicians? Obviously Mr Wilder knew the mental capacities of those he had to deal with...talk about gearing one's material to one's audience.[rolleyes]
2. A few panels of the comic book was shown, including one of a black man holding a gun and with bulging eyes, as if high on drugs. The title of the book, IIRC, is "The Seduction of Guns". In any other context, this would be considered racist (black men can't control themselves, prone of violence) Wilder is himself black. I wonder if he caught the irony.
View Quote
Good question! The few black people I have ever spoken with on the subject of guns have looked at were raised in the city and viewed guns as an abomination - and that's all I can say about that!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:18:52 PM EDT
I happened to catch that show myself. Pretty interesting show, but I could do without the liberal propaganda.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:21:21 PM EDT
Oddly enough, I had my upper body clawed to minced meat once by a woman screaming at me "There is a BLACK man with a GUN! He's gonna kill me! Aahhh! Help!" The woman in question was of course black herself and in no danger of getting hurt whatsoever, since the gunfight was taking place almost half a block away ;)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:57:13 PM EDT
Well, as I recall, the Iowa state legislature once mandated that the exact value of pi was 22/7. Politicians get everything they know from comic books. Those and the National Enquirer. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 1:02:28 PM EDT
The Enquirer is probably too reputable for them, most likely they rely on The Weekly World News!
Top Top