Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 8:18:56 AM EDT
I have been wondering this for a while as my attitudes change and finally inspired/reminded to post by OldPainless' thread on LEO shootings.

Here's the question:

Do you sometimes leave the gun at home because you dont want the "responsibility" of carrying a gun.

I have had a carry permit for three years. I used to carry nearly all the time. Now I find myself leaving the gun at home because I dont feel like bearing the huge responsibility that goes with carrying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you must be looking at it from a different angle.

What about your responsibility to protect yourself?

Are you just tired of having to avoid certain places, or dress in a certain way, or what?  Are you afraid of LIABILITY when carrying?  What is actually your problem with carrying?  'Splain.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't carry at work because my company does not allow.  Otherwise, if its legal to carry, I carry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
OK Matt let me try. The physical parts of carrying, while a pain sometimes, dont really factor in. Sometimes because I live in Fl. it can be a hassle so I bought a Berreta Tomcat for those times I am lightly dressed.
I always carry when I have to venture to or around certain areas.
My issue is that since I have been doing this for years I have also done a lot of thinking about it. I have taken several tactical weapons courses and shooting to protect yourself is mentally different than just target shooting targets.
Whenever I strap on a gun and venture into the world outside my house I feel like I have just taken on a HUGE responsibilty as well as a liability.
Sometimes I just dont feel like bearing that weight and leave the gun at home. I dont really like being unarmed but sometimes I just dont want the responsibilty and would rather take the risk of being defenceless.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry unless I know I will be entering an area/building where carrying a firearm is illegal.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
The only places/time I don't carry are: In stand alone bars, if I'm drinking, federal property, basically most of the forbiden places.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whenever I strap on a gun and venture into the world outside my house I feel like I have just taken on a HUGE responsibilty as well as a liability.
View Quote

What huge responsibility?

1) The responsibility to handle the gun safely?
2) The responsibility of your own safety?
3) The responsibility to protect loved ones?
4) The responsibility to protect strangers?

If you are taking on #4 then I can see why it would seem a burden. But #1 is not difficult, it only requires constant awareness which you should have anyway, and #'s 2 and 3 are always your responsibility, gun or no gun.

So I guess that I don't understand why you feel that it is too much of a responsibility. The only difference between not carrying is the gun safety aspect, which is a non issue if you always follow the safe shooting rules. If you are trying to be superman and protect everyone who needs help, noble to be sure but impractical in todays society, it will seem like way too much of a responsibility.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I carry unless I know I will be entering an area/building where carrying a firearm is illegal.
View Quote

And that's the it should be...Not carrying at all times is like only wearing your seatbelt when you know your going to have a car accident. Ohio doesn't have a CCW yet,but when it does, KODoc post applies.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you wrongly believe when yousteap on your CCW you are assuming some responsibilty to get inviovled in other peoples problems.

You CCW is to protect you and the people with you. If your the type to go jump into a crime in progress, that you know nothing about, then you shouldnt CCW.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Basically, I carry (on my person) when I feel I may need it.  I guess a lot of that is laziness - having to try to figure out how to conceal it with my current clothing choice.

On the other hand, I always carry my handgun in my vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a lot of weapons training so its not a safe handling issue.
I DO feel like I have a case of sheepleatosis. Funny, I thought of that exact word when I posted this.
It always seems like I run into those creepy situations/people when I am unarmed. I am not afraid to defend myself and I know how. I certainly have some issues with what happens AFTER.
I think I might feel different if they would pass that legitimate self defence act.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was considering getting my permit I understood it was serious business.

However, when I actually got the permit and started packing I was struck by the gravity of it.  It's a HUGE responsibility, not to be taken lightly.  

I carry most of the time.  When I don't it's because of the law, as in going to a restaurant that serves alcohol or teaching at the local college that allows no firearms on campus.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont care about responsibilty to others besides my family and me. If I needed to help someone else and I could I would.

I carry when I can.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Just about the only time I dont carry, is when I goto work.

I work in New [s]Jersey[/s] Jermany. And I cant carry there.

But when I get home, the safe gets opened...
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I understand.  Making the decision to shoot someone, and then living with the consequences of that choice IS a HUGE responsiblity.  

I'd guess that most people contemplating shooitng another human being underestimate the effects- look at how negatively that decision affects the people who've had to do it.  Even when it's a job-related incident, like for law enforcement, it's a really, really big deal.

While all of us would agree on the concept of self-defense, the reality is likely to be very ugly, messy, and frightening.  And that is after you've gone through the extremely difficult process of deciding whether or not to shoot.

It's not like in the movies.

BTW, just because you're not carrying a gun does NOT mean you're defenseless- far from it.  The gun is only one VERY SMALL means of protecting yourself.  If your "self-defense" begins and ends with your firearm, you're screwed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Carry it all the freaking time!

Everywhere, except where forbidden by law!

And even then...

Eric The(BetterToBeJudgedBy12ThanCarriedBy6)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I noticed the poll option 'only carry when you think you'll need it' and that got me thinking.  Aside from when its not legal or work restriced, only carrying when you think you'll need it is, well, kinda dumb, isn't it?  You never know when you'll need it.  I wouldn't think carrying to my friends wedding would be necessary, but if someone jumped out from no where with a gun, I would be pretty pissed if I didn't have mine.  I haven't read all the posts to this topic, but if this has been said already I apologize for the repeat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Pooby:

Methinks you think too much.   Remember, it's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Be safe.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#21]
what ETH said.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I dont carry at work.  I dont carry when I am going to get drunk.  Other than that I will carry every where except federal property.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I always carry in my vehicle. If it's legal to carry once I leave the vehicle I carry there as well. The only time I don't carry is when I'm drinking. I sometimes ride my bicycle to a local bar so I don't carry then. The summer here in AZ is HOT so when dressed in a t-shirt and jeans it can be tricky or uncomfortable to conceal (ankle holster). That brings up "open carry".... I have/do open carry but it does tend to draw a lot of attention.
--RR

I don't carry at work but do have it in my vehicle. The bottom line is I carry any and everywhere it is legal to do so. You NEVER KNOW when you'll need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top