Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 4:58:05 AM EDT
What I want is general personal liability insurance.  If I smash somebody with my car and they sue me, I want to be covered.  If my dog bites someone, I want to be covered.  If a tree on my property falls on someone, I want to be covered.  If I drop a can of soup on someone's toe at the grocery store, I want to be covered.

[sarcasm]The way I figure it, I make a decent enough living to be able to afford the luxury of not worrying about fucking up someone else's shit and having to pay for it.[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness, with the way lawsuits are going these days, I'd just like some coverage from the assholes.  I figure a million ought to cover it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife is an insurance agent.

IIRC, you get  personal liability coverage under your homeowners policy, and that its fairly cheap.

My wife says she can't imagine why people don't do it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
excess coverage>>>>"umbrella" policy

You still need your other coverage
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IIRC, you get  personal liability coverage under your homeowners policy, and that its fairly cheap.

View Quote

I don't currently own a home.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:35:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I order to buy a umbrella policy you need to have your auto and home owners insurance all underwritten by the same insurance rips, which shouldn't be a problem in most situations.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you don't present a very desirable target for a litigious society.

Unless you have other MAJOR assets and accumulated wealth.

Other than the homeowners umbrella policy, I don't know what to tell you.

Talk to a REAL insurance agent - not the part time astrophysicist / brain surgeon / nuclear biologist types you find on gun boards.

[:D]

Good luck.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:49:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Then you don't present a very desirable target for a litigious society.

Unless you have other MAJOR assets and accumulated wealth.

Other than the homeowners umbrella policy, I don't know what to tell you.

Talk to a REAL insurance agent - not the part time astrophysicist / brain surgeon / nuclear biologist types you find on gun boards.

Good luck.

View Quote

To be honest, I trust you guys more so than I trust a real insurance agent.  Ya'll have nothing to gain in your advice, an agent is going to try and sell me whatever he can.

Good point about the house.  I really don't have much of anything in the way of assets, but I make a decent living and wouldn't want my wages to be garnished.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Norman, you are looking for an "umbrella" pollicy. I can put you in touch with a local agent I trust(I've known her since I was 9 & grew up w/ her kids) if you want me to.

echo6
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
To be honest, I trust you guys more so than I trust a real insurance agent.  Ya'll have nothing to gain in your advice, an agent is going to try and sell me whatever he can.

View Quote

Awww...shucks. {blush}

Yer right tho - watch out fer people trying to sell you stuff.

I'll check with my wifey tonite, and get back to you.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:00:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

At least not yet! Right?
So therefore you're renting right? Anyways, I think there is something called renter's insurance, and I understand that it is fairly cheap. You should discuss this option with your insurnace agent when you find one.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I own a truck and a Harley that i'm making payments on and have insurance on.  I also have renter's insurance.  All of this is through USAA.  I am planning on calling them and discussing some sort of umbrella policy, but I wanted to see what ya'll had to say first.

One concern of mine is that I think the cost for my area is going to be absurdley high.  Insurance of all types in South Florida is some of the highest in the nation due to the large amount of immigrants and the various cons/scams that they pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top