Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 7:57:49 PM EDT
Anyone? Stuff like Mountain Hardware,Patagonia, Western Mountianeering,Osprey Ive been camping and packing since I was 11 and I took a break for the past few years. Now Im strating ot replace all my old gear. It was all Kelty stuff. Still works great, I just want/need somethign lighter/faster/stronger. I am slowely building up my gear again and clothes now since I stopped growing. Finding this stuff for a 6'7" guy is pretty tough. Tomorrow Im picking up my new tent. Mountian Hardware Lightwedge 3. Next on my list is a Western Mountaineering Sleeping bag. Anyone else a high-end gear junky like me?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:38:28 PM EDT
I like tents, footwear, sleeping bags, stoves, flashlights, and knives to be reliable. Tents: One windy night on the Eastern Sierras about 1/4 of the tents collapsed and the wind snapped a nearby logepole pine. Footwear: It is miserable to have blisters with miles left to go. Sleeping Bags: Hypothermia sucks. Stoves are toys too! Flashlights: see Stoves. Knives: becuase you never know when you'll have to hack off an arm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:44:01 PM EDT
What kind of stuff do you have? Now Im hesitating on what sleeping bag to get. Im really attracted to Marmot's Hydrogen bag. 1lb 5oz. 30 degree. Really sexy
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:50:54 PM EDT
[wave] thanks for reminding me.. my Mountainsmith Backpack had a buckle break the other day [:(] gotta give 'em a call and see if it cant be fixed.. Lowe used to make stuff for the military, we used to get a discount.. anyone know if they still offer that deal?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:58:35 PM EDT
"In to"....YES "Afford"...NO
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:21:47 PM EDT
Yup, Brands I trust and own are North Face, Arc'Teryx, MSR, Suunto, Garmin, Brunton, I even have a $900 Spyder coat(sadly I'm not joking on the price tag), the list just keeps going on and on. I think it rivals AR's on the addiction front. One thing that tops my list now is the PVS-7D night vision goggles, only nvg's I got now is some 1st gen russian wannabe good but it isn't crap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 9:51:23 PM EDT by hickboy]
I have a friend that worked for North Face. I personally use North Face, Kelty, Petzl, Sweet Water, and Black Diamond. My backpack is a Kelty Red Cloud 5400, my sleeping bag is a (0 degree) North Face, my headlight is a Petzl Tikka, my sleeping pad is a Thermorest (love it), my water pump is a Sweet Water, and my tent is a Mountian Hardware 1 person. BTW, anyone into rock climbing (NOT mountian climbing)? Edited to say- Go to www.campmor.com and check out their stuff. It is really good equiptment that would sell for like 10 times as much but they sell it CHEAP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:58:52 PM EDT
Ya campmor has some good deals. but I find some relly great ones at [url]www.sierratradingpost.com[/url] I havent tried rock climbing. Not sure im up for that. But man I love packing into the backcountry and fly-fishing. nothing like getting away from all the car/trailor campers Im not too big on The North Face anymore. For awhile there they got to be too much of a College gear clothing manufacturer. Kinda like Columbia. Other companies came in and made the high end bad-ass stuff that we needed. I think The North Face is starting to come back around, but they need to really work for it. Anyone have a titanium Snow Peak giga power stove? ive been really tempted by a stove that weighs 2.5 ozs
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:20:43 PM EDT
I have a Dana Designs internal frame pack that I really like. It was made especially for Colorado ski patrol people but it was too small for my BIL so he gave to me. I'll never give up my MSR Whisper Lite stove. Just too reliable. Use a bivy sack during good weather and a Eureka 4 season in the winter. I've had lots of tents, some other high end tents are lighter, and a bit better in the wind, but the Eureka has been in some really nasty thunder storms and never leaked a dropped. btw, if you want a nice back pack trip take the Deer Creek trail off the road to Cedar Grove. It's just a short distance before you cross the 2nd bridge over the Kings river. Best part is it's in the national forest, not the park. So a firearm is not a problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:42:39 PM EDT
You young whippersnappers I remember wood packframes and tump lines around yer forehead. My troop still had the frames in case there was a heavy haul project. I think the last time they were used was when some of the Explorers and Dads got involved in packing cement and water up to the top of Mt. Baden-Powell for the monument. (This was '65.) Kelty was probably the first to go really large market high tech for those days in the late 60's. Of course those were the days when you could drink the water in the Sierras and San Gabriels.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:07:06 AM EDT
you guys might also like: [url]www.killerdeals.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:15:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 4:15:46 AM EDT by Cincinnatus]
I'm a bit of gear fanatic. Boots: Scarpa Mantas Packs and Shells: Arcteryx Lots of Marmot underlayers. Tubbs snowshoes Black Diamond crampons Petzl Nothing but Smartwool on my feet. etc. Good gear is important. But knowing how to use it takes experience. Nothing is more important than knowing how to regulate your "thermostat", when out in the wilderness. Most people overdress and then sweat, and then freeze.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:22:20 AM EDT
i still carry a 1974 kelty "d4" pack and the cold weather bag is a north face. the tents are by eureka and i still cook on a svea 123 brass/white gas stove. my ropes are due for replacement, but i have have a selection of old climbing gear that would make a museum proud. is that old school enough for you?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:23:25 AM EDT
I use Academy broadway, Prospector, and my boots are Texas Steer. [lol]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:00:20 AM EDT
I've got enough addictions. However, this one is growing. The wife and I camp with regularity now. She's got a Kelty and I've got a Patagonia. For shorter hikes, nothing beats the old Alice pack frame though.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:09:39 AM EDT
A Lowe Alpine backpack, but you can't beat Kelly products. My tent is some noname but weights only 2.5lbs. Danner boots, but everyone hiking the PCT wear New Balance trail shoes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:23:59 AM EDT
well crap.. I'm trying to locate some info to call Mountainsmith.. REI show's their packs on-line, but say they're [i][b]Imported[/i][/b] [:O] WTH? my pack was made here in colorado.. when did all this change? (pack is about 11 years old now)
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:41:56 AM EDT
My wife and I are major backpacking gearheads. I'll refrain from posting my list 'cause it'll make you all envious.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:05:30 AM EDT
Got an old Gregory "Cassin", internal frame that is the best damn pack I ever carried, especially for heavy loads. I took off the Fastex and replaced it with one of the old Kelty, steel, quick-release buckles. This pack is comfortable and has almost infinite adjustments. I still have people trying to buy this pack 16 years after I purchased it. Gregory got bought out in the late 1980's by Bianchi, I believe. Wayne Gregory later bought back the company and it is going strong once again. I have carried a lot of packs over the years, including Kelty, Osprey, Lowe, North Face and Mountainsmith, but never had one more comfortable, versatile or of better quality than a Gregory. [url]www.gregorypacks.com/[/url] For boots, I like the Zamberlan Civettas. For bags, I like the Feathered Friends fourth-generation Gore-Tex, but I am not sure that Feather Friends is in business any more. They used to be across the street from the old REI store in Seattle, up on 12th. I have an FF bag that weighs about 3 lbs. The same model was used on a K2 expedition with great results. I have used it to about -5F and it worked great.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:24:05 AM EDT
[url]http://www.danadesign.com/newproducts.htm[/url] These guys are the stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:59:54 AM EDT
I really like my Mountain Hardware Skyview 3. It's a bit on the heavy side for packing, but we used it primarily for motorcyle rallies. No problem to strap it on the bike with everything else, and hit the road. The beauty of this particular model is that it has two doors. The rain fly has a vestibule that extends out over one of the doors, creating an outside room. Thats where we keep our excess gear, while we use the other door for access. Finest tent I have ever owned. [img]http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/tent_bp_img/mh_skyview3_l.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:29:27 AM EDT
packs: Dana Designs packs : Bridger for 3 season, Terraplane for winter/mountaineering Sleeping Bags: Western Mountaineering Bison V DryLoft -40 bag for winter use Moonstone Maxima -10 degree Polarguard bag for static basecamp use (too heavy to carry) North Face Cat's Meow 15 degree (worn out to 25 degree by 6 months of AT use) for car camping North Face Blue Kazoo down bag for 3 season backpacking CAMPMOR Polarguard 300 fleece bag for hot weather backpacking Stoves: Whisperlite International for winter and group use Peak 1 Apex for backup Trangia for emergency car stove Esbit for emergency car stove Brasslite Turbo II for 3 season backpacking (ultralight alcohol stove) Water Filter: PUR/Katadyn Scout/Guide for solo use PUR/Katadyn Explorer for group use Sweetwater Guardian (Piece of garbage filter, at least the one I had) I would like to get an MSR Waterworks ceramic Tents: Wild Country Quasar mountaineering tent Sierra Designs Meteor Light 2 person backpacking ( a bit heavy though) Walrus Swift 1 person backpacking (nice and light) Clothing: LLBean ultralight GoreTex Paclite parka North Face Mountain Light pants North Face Mountain bibs Mont Bell ultralight pants OR Crocodile gaiters OR mountain spats short gaiters Wild Country Insulated Super Gaiters (winter) Hind drylete tights Tons of various other types of long underwear, skin layers. several North Face and LL Bean fleece layers Various balaclavas, mitten and glove systems, etc. Black Diamond Bod climbing harness La Sportiva Kaukalator rock shoes Various rapelling and belaying devices Black Diamond Alpine Ice Axe A couple different sets of crampons etc. Lots of good gear out there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:37:30 AM EDT
Major stuff,,,, I run a Mountainsmith 30* bag, [url]http://www.shopslms.com/skishop/92-920- 02.html[/url] Sierra Designs Orion AST tent [url] http://www.shopslms.com/skishop/126-11271-03.html[/url] and a Gregorey Whitney pack (5500cu.in.) [url]http://www.shopslms.com/skishop/50-13311-03.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:17:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fearandloathing37: [url]http://www.danadesign.com/newproducts.htm[/url] These guys are the stuff.
View Quote
When was the last time you looked at their gear? K2 owns the company now and they arent as good as when Dana was designing the packs. He has since started another pack company. [url]www.mysteryranch.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:47:30 PM EDT
Yeah yeah, well I met Tensing Norgay and Jim Whittaker at Sport Chalet in La Canada when it was still in the original store on Foothill Blvd. Now that dates me. Still have a pair of Lowes that I bought there while in college. Re-soled twice, not in real good shape can't bear to throw them out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:20:21 PM EDT
PaDanby, where do you live? I ALWAYS go to the Sport Chalet in La Canada Flintridge. I live in La Crescenta. Do you ever go shooting at the Angeles Shooting Ranges?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:36:02 PM EDT
Live over in Orange County now. I haven't shot at Angeles. In fact I used to shoot all the time up in upper Monte Cristo Canyon (last time I saw it the road was gone) and what later became the Kentucky/Tennessee(?) areas. When shooting was not a problem. I haven't been out that way and off 14 with the exception of once about 3 years ago and last Friday in 20 years or so. Back when shooting was legal anywhere safe. And Before the Upper Tujunga road was paved. Spent a lot of I generally go out a ways past Barstow (about an hour and a half including a misc stop) to shoot although Lytle Creek might be in the future. I also trainwatch, the kids collect rocks, etc so kill a couple of birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 12:23:15 AM EDT
I was in search and rescue, so yes..I was into really good gear. I had a Lowe alpine pack, still do..it's great, wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. As far as what tent to get... Check out the REI halfdome 2? I think it's called? Only has two poles and got all kinds of thumbs up from backpacking magazines last year.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:07:32 PM EDT
For all you guys that replied how do you feel about this, We all know these companies are tree hugging hippies. They would have us all turn in our guns and laugh at us if they could. I personally will not buy anyhting from a company that attacks our rights publically. I think they are all busy saving animals and land to waste time with guns though.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:40:02 AM EDT
I'm pretty well kitted up so I'm not terribly worried about it. The former owner of Mountainsmith is in business making hiking, hunting and military gear, he's even got his own line of ultralight hunting rifles.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:07:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 8:10:09 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:58:31 AM EDT
That sleeping system is friggin heavy. Damn it better be bomb-proof. Thats one reason I like this other stuff over milspec. its way lighter. Is there a link to the rifles that the mountainsmith guy makes?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:40:50 AM EDT
Patrick Smith now runs [url]www.Kifaru.net[/url] They build gear for the military and hunting communities including custom lightweight rifles with a truly unique stock design.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:01:52 PM EDT
Top Top