Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 1:13:59 PM EDT
I ask because the weather here in Virginia has been so bad for so long I (temporarily) gave up shooting and returned to one of my other money consuming hobbies - music.

I'm currently building a Fender "Tweed" Deluxe amp from a kit...building the cabinet myself....good ole tube technology.

Oh wait, the sun is out! Never mind I can resume my shooting sports.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, mostly a LesPaul Standard through a Mesa Rectoverb, but I also have a Strat, Tele, PRS McCarty, and another LesPaul with P-90's. Also have a Marshall DCM-2000 50 Watt head, but mostly just play the LP through the Recto.

It's the only hobby I've spent more money on than target shooting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Guitar player reporting for duty, sir. Seems like no matter how much money I spend on better equipment, it still doesn't make me play better. . .[BD]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Fender Strat & BC Rich Eagle neck-through.

50 Watt Peavey and 50 Watt Marshall.

Assorted pedals.

Mostly like playing Blues, but lately getting into a little jazz. Damn, that stuff is hard to play.

Yeah with all the rain I've been playing a lot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!  What for spkrs?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Tubes are the only way to go.  Just make sure they are biased correctly to really get the volume out of them.

I have an Ibanez Artist from 1980 with Duncans front and rear.  I love the thing, weighs about 13lbs but sounds thick.

For amperage I have a Marshall JMP-1 midi controlled preamp running through a BOSS SE70 effects processor, also midi controlled, into a Carvin all tube 100 watt amp and a Carvin 4x12 with Celestions.

My bandmate used a Mesa Rectifier and the two amps sounded really good together.

Of course I haven't hardly picked the thing up in a couple years.  Too much time spent on this damned computer. [:(]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Been playing a long time. (crap, closing in on 20 years!)

Got a few axes.

Charvel Model 4 - mod 80's vintage - good "metal" guitar

Fender Mexican Tele - hot pickups, otherwise stock

Yamaha CGX Classical (nylon string)

Taylor 814C - the finest piece of wood I own

Fender super 60 amp - 60 watts of pure tube smoothness

GK 250ML - AKA "Lunchbox from HELL"  Great little amp with some serious crunch and a cool, shimmery stereo sound.

Lately I have been playing nothing but classical and bluesy stuff.  I have played a lot of different styles over the years, and have greatly simplified my signal path (i.e. thrown out most of my pedals/effects).

I play mostly for enjoyment and the occasional jam session.

Geoff
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Just started playing.
Rickenbacher 330 and Bedrock 1202
Guitar was payment for a totaled scooter.
Bedrock was found at a pawn shop, sold the Fender hot rod deluxe.
I really like the vintage British amps, like the Orange.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty) played through a Digitech RP1 modulater (also black) and amplified by a Fender Utra Chorus (yes, it's black too).

I have yet to see another Ultra Chorus. All of the ones I have seen are now called "Ultimate Chorus"...I get the impression that they stepped on someones toes by using the "Utra Chorus" name...LOL
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#11]
It's interesting... I constantly see guitar-related posts here, but I don't think I've ever seen posts from keyboardists, drummers, etc.  Do guitars and guns have some sort of cosmic connection or something?

BTW, for me it's Carvin guitars all the way.  And I play through a Line6 Vetta Combo amp... no tubes in there, just a computer with a power amp and speakers (now, where did I put my asbestos suit?).  :-)

--Mike
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
1983 American Standard Stratocaster  (a very strange model)
Line 6 AX2 amp
some assorted pedals and a wireless system I don't use anymore.

Now that I'm unemployed I'm gonna try to practice more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Why is it that my two favorite hobbies, guns and guitars, are the most expensive hobbies ever?  Damn.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Charvel 550XL
Jackson USA made "kelly"...similar in shape to the Gibson explorer.

All I have for amplification right now is my digitech GSP-2101 Artist..

Saving up for a VHT Pitbull Ultralead..

American hand made botique amps are the best!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Uh., what's the guitar equivalent of a 10/22 and a .38?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Uh., what's the guitar equivalent of a 10/22 and a .38?
View Quote

[img]img2.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/511681.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#19]
It's interesting... I constantly see guitar-related posts here, but I don't think I've ever seen posts from keyboardists, drummers, etc. Do guitars and guns have some sort of cosmic connection or something?
View Quote

Yep.  Check out the cover of Nugent's "Weekend Warriors" album.

BTW, I have an Ovation Celebrity (in Cherry Burst) and a Cort Artisan B4 bass that I mess around with.  Wouldn't dare to call myself a musician, but I have fun.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#20]
gibson SG with X2N pickup thru a line6 podpro rackmount thru the mixer and pa system...

did the whole tube amp thing with the marshall stacks and hughes & kettners but it's much easier to gig with a rackmount unit...

hell, the podpro gives me all the gain i need and i don't have to mess around with a stack...

(hell, got enough production to mess around with as it is)

we've toured the north east playing venues like CBGB's in NYC and our last album is being distributed by metropolis records...

(we're currently working on our third album)

here's me with my gibson...

[img]http://deathsquad.home.mindspring.com/proto.jpg[/img]

our touring vehicle...

[img]http://deathsquad.home.mindspring.com/82-oblique.jpg[/img]

the band...

[img]http://deathsquad.home.mindspring.com/s7pressphoto.jpg[/img]

our website...

[url]www.sutureseven.com[/url]

(mp3s are available on our "samples" page)

we're going to be featured on an official ministry tribute album this year as well, so if you're a ministry fan and want to check out our version of stigmata, here it is...

[url]http://deathsquad.home.mindspring.com/stigmata.html[/url]

rock on!

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Those are some good posts.

Ratters that post of yours with the cheap Squire / solid state practice amp was the funniest damnned thing I've read on this board in months.

I"m glad to know guns and guitars go together so well.

And yes I miss SRV also. If anybody needs to know what a good Fender tube amp sounds like cranked to the max, just listed to him..

P.S. If you're interested in anything Fender, you should check out fenderforum.com.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top